2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
OP Offline
C
Either way you put it, the name just doesn't have the same singing, poetic sound as that "E" name. wink

Oh well.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato
C
OP Offline
C
Duplicate post. shocked

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'd wager there are far more M&H fans, given the length of time it's been available here on a larger scale of distribution.
Even taking out the "bad years"... M&H has a huge fan base, myself included!
That's not to say that the-brand-which-shall-not-be-named doesn't have a large and loyal following. I just think that math allows for M&H to have a larger possible fan base.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by classicalgirl:
Floating the topic out there to see who bites. Either way you put it, the name just doesn't have the same singing, poetic sound as that "E" name. Nevertheless are there as many M&H fans as there are "E" fans? Both are made in relatively small numbers, which limits the number that are sold each year.
No offence at all, but this post is the most overwhelming evidence of how distorted the view of Estonia has become on this site.

I am shaking my head in disbelief.

M&H has been around for over 100 years, and had a long dark period, but emerged producing some of the finest pianos in the world. 100 years ago great artists were playing them on concert stages.

The 5'8" A is considered by many to be the finest under 6 foot piano ever designed.

The AA has been called perhaps the best home sized piano ever made.

The BB is a stupendous 7 footer.

New design or old design. Fine 90 year old rebuilt one or brand new.

And M&H does not have the 'poetic sound' of the E name.

It is increasingly pointless to read this forum any more.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by Christopher James Quinn:
No offence at all, but this post is the most overwhelming evidence of how distorted the view of Estonia has become on this site.

I disagree, Mr. Quinn. I think it's evidence of the poster's totally failed attempt at humor in the title, but perhaps genuine interest in the question. I don't see how one post can be "overwhelming evidence of how distorted the view of Estonia has become..."

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
OP Offline
C
Sorry. My try at a humorous post bombed.

Many people consider Mason and Hamlins among the best in the world. Few can afford them. I wish I could.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For what it's worth (I hate acronymns) I have one of each--M&H BB and Estonia 9ft--and there's no way I would give up the M&H if I had to make a choice. I decided long ago the M&H was my choice after playing and hearing many of the other fine brand names. I read somewhere that many concertizing pianists at one time endorsed certain brands but at home had a M&H. I met one of those pianists and he said that M&H was undoubtedly the best piano. After being introduced to them but not realizing how special they are immediately, I gradually became impressed with them and that was my heart's desire from then on (after Bosendorfer, Steinway, Baldwin, Knabe, Chickering, etc.) It would still be!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I have to say that when I went to Cunningham Pianos to buy my piano, I loved the M&H's there. Too bad that Rich Galassini wasn't honoring my fifty per cent off coupon, or I would have picked it instead of my Estonia. wink

Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by CJQ about Mason & Hamlin:

The 5'8" A is considered by many to be the finest under 6 foot piano ever designed.

The AA has been called perhaps the best home sized piano ever made.

The BB is a stupendous 7 footer.
I agree with every word!
I would also add that no other piano has a similar character.
If one likes the Mason & Hamlin sound one has to get a M&H.
And a LOT of people do!!!

Mason & Hamlin...like nothing else.

I guess this is the reason that the Mason and the Estonia live together side by side in my showroom in such harmony.
Two great pianos that are so different...

smile smile smile

Christopher,
Thank you for saying these words.
If I had said these words some would have accused me of making a Mason & Hamlin "commercial".
But I'm glad we agree with each other!

Ori Bukai - Owner/Founder of Allegro Pianos - CT / NYC area.

One can usually play at our showroom:

Bluthner, Steingraeber, Estonia, Haessler, Sauter, Kawai, Steinway, Bosendorfer and more.

www.allegropianos.com
I can't believe that Christopher often seems to have a *beef* with Estonia, be that make here being hyped here or not.

His August Foerster is not exactly miles off the sound of Estonia itself - being definitely more similiar in sound to each other than say say a Seiler or Sauter.

And I can only surmise that in hindsight, you may have been a bit ticked off to have been been able to get such a *similiar* piano for so much less..... mad

[Sorry, only teasing, Chris! wink ]

Actually in Germany everybody is chuckling that August Foerster from previously East Germany, received higher ratings with Larry Fine than many of the other long established makers from there.

Only in America...... :rolleyes:

norbert

Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Varcon,
You have some fine pianos and I wouldn't give up on the M&H BB that's in my living room either (on the other side of the room I have an Estonia 6'3)... wink
The M&H ARE special pianos!

But since your Estonia is a Soviet era Estonia from the 80's, and you still like it so much, I could only imagine how you'd feel if you had a new era (Laul Estonia) 9' concert grand!

Ori Bukai - Owner/Founder of Allegro Pianos - CT / NYC area.

One can usually play at our showroom:

Bluthner, Steingraeber, Estonia, Haessler, Sauter, Kawai, Steinway, Bosendorfer and more.

www.allegropianos.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Estonia is a good piano for the money. I'm sorry, but it doesn't compete with M&H. If you have the money for an M&H, you're looking at a whole other level of pianodom. A dreamy level! wink

penny

Perhaps that's right.

But if you [realistically!] compare a 7'MH BB to a
9' Estonia and/or an MH AA to an Estonia 6'3 it becomes more a hm...hm...hm.... :rolleyes:

Or at least *could*.

Let's not forget that both companies have different histories and pursue quite different tone ideals.

And not everybody would marry a Scandinavian bride!

[I didn't.... wink ]

Wonder what those dealers who have both makes would have to say to that.

No hyping...PLEASE!! mad

norbert laugh

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Norbert:

And I can only surmise that in hindsight, you may have been a bit ticked off to have been been able to get such a *similiar* piano for so much less..... mad

[Sorry, only teasing, Chris! wink ]
My last post here.

Norbert: I paid 20k for my piano, I know how to shop. I bought used. Faust Harrison was getting 23k for Estonia 190s at the time.

So in your spin world, you should say that I'm bitter because I could not affort a quality piano like Estonia.

Ori: Pat yourself on the back: you win. I'm going away.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
IMO,

Chris is one of PW's best and most helpful posters. I absolutely did not feel that way initially, but as I have gotten to know him through his posts, I came to believe in his sincerity, and learn from and respect his point of view.
The approach Chris takes can cost me sales, and in spite of that, I hope he stays. Without his viewpoint, this place will have no balance, and lose credibility.
As an actor, Chris is entitled to be a bit overly dramatic, and I hope that is all that is going on here.
Of course, if he isn't enjoying his time here, he should go, but I would miss him, and so would PW in general.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would bet the single biggest factor in Estonia popularity is price for what you get, in other words, value. I simply could not afford a new M&H; it's twice as expensive as Estonia. Is it twice the piano? Doesn't really matter if you can't afford it in the first place.

It just shows how quickly some people here seem to get their ire up.

Over nothing.

People: there's more to life than Pianos! shocked

And *balance* of things here doesn't depend on any one single poster.
[myself included! wink ]

Folks: there's more serious things to run away from than *lowly me* saying something in gist here on the Forum [didnt I say "just teasing"??] that's taken by someone the wrong way.

Anybody ever gotten the "lb-treatment" recently?? mad

Oh, I forgot: It's Saturday night:

Beer, anybody?

[I'm buying! thumb ]

norbert laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ori,
My Estonia is a 1992 with Renner action, Roslau strings, butcherblock lid, etc. It's a very nice piano. I understand that improvements have been made but, considering what I paid for it, I can't complain!! It's a wonderful piano and has a great sound.

When people visit for the first time they are wowed with three grands side by side in a private home ( I vowed I would sleep under it if I had to do so) but they inevitably pick the M&H for it's sound quality when I play the same thing on each piano. The Horugel gets the lowest rating, of course. But for the price I can't complain about it either! It was FREE!!

The M&H was full price--no discount. :> But I don't regret it for a moment--just the inept technicians that have worked on it. There are so few really competent ones. Anyway, I'm very happy with the M&H.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally posted by pete:
I have to say that when I went to Cunningham Pianos to buy my piano, I loved the M&H's there. Too bad that Rich Galassini wasn't honoring my fifty per cent off coupon, or I would have picked it instead of my Estonia. wink
Pete :

Funny! Same thing happened to me!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission