Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Beemer, anotherscott, 2Keys, butchkoch, bluebikes6, Akash, 14 invisible), 1,003 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#744479 - 04/21/03 12:52 AM removing splinters  
nancyww Offline
500 Post Club Member
nancyww  Offline
500 Post Club Member

central oregon
This is a very UNfun part of mothering. It's not much fun for the child, either. frown Is there any way to remove a splinter besides digging it out with a needle and pulling it out with tweezers? I once heard that if you leave a splinter alone, it will eventually work it's way out by itself. My son claims that the splinter in his pinky doesn't hurt...should I just leave it alone and see what happens? confused

Piano & Music Accessories
#744480 - 04/21/03 01:49 AM Re: removing splinters  
Ariel Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ariel  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

NE
nancyww,

In my experience, once that splinter's no longer "fresh" - that is, once it goes underground in the flesh, it's kind of a lost cause other than via the dig and tweeze method, which is often unsuccessful anyhow.

The exception is if it's either very large, or made of something quite hard like a sliver of glass or metal.

If your son is telling you it "doesn't hurt" chances are he's telling you - "not compared to how much that harpoon you're holding up will hurt, anyway!"

And maybe it's best to just listen to him, unless you're SURE you can see the end still poking out and that you can get it. Depends a lot on age too. Is this, by any chance a child who will not be able to practice the piano with that splinter still embedded?

I've lost a lot of maternal credibility by insisting on issues like this and inflicting pain, when I swore I was going to relieve it.

Note - if you soak the afflicted finger (or the kid just sits in a warm bath for a while), it can help ease the pain, soften the skin, and relax the victim in order to remove a hard sliver. A wooden splinter will soften up too, though.

I think this is turning into a "Hints from Heloise", outpost. Maybe a welcome reprieve from some of the weighty topics...

If this is coffee, bring me tea. If this is tea, bring me coffee.
~Abraham Lincoln~
#744481 - 04/21/03 07:37 AM Re: removing splinters  
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
DT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Illinois
I once ran a 1" splinter of treated lumber through the palm of my hand. After failing to get it out, I visited my doctor. He told me to wait and my body would get rid of it. Eventually (several weeks), I pressed to the side of the sore and the splinter rose from my palm where it was easy to pull it the rest of the way. With smaller ones, I've had good luck with exposing a piece of the splinter and then scraping across it (in the direction to pull it out) with a knife.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
#744482 - 04/21/03 09:59 AM Re: removing splinters  
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Jolly  Offline

Louisiana
I always kep a small supply of hypodermic needles at the house because they are sharper than sewing needles, and they are sterile.

That, and forceps are the way to go, if the splinter is shallow and easily reachable.

I also like to use H2O2 instead of isopropanol for an antiseptic, as it doesn't cause as much discomfort.

www.coffee-room.com

Over 1.3M (and counting) posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.
#744483 - 04/21/03 12:23 PM Re: removing splinters  
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
kluurs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chicago
I like Jolly's ideas. When I was in high school, I used a regular sewing needle -- didn't sterilize and nearly killed myself with a staph infection. Make sure you use sterile tweezer or whatever when you do the work.

Murray Perahia nearly ended his career from a paper cut!

Ken

#744484 - 04/21/03 12:30 PM Re: removing splinters  
Phlebas Offline
Phlebas  Offline

New York City
Originally posted by Jolly:
I always kep a small supply of hypodermic needles at the house....
Do tell.

#744485 - 04/21/03 12:33 PM Re: removing splinters  
Phlebas Offline
Phlebas  Offline

New York City
I got a splinter out of my daughter's foot with a needle and tweezers by icing the area to numb it, and pinching the side of her foot to creat a "diversionary" sensation while extracting the splinter.

#744486 - 04/21/03 03:15 PM Re: removing splinters  
Jolly Offline
Jolly  Offline

Louisiana
Phlebas,

My medicine cabinet might amaze you.

Or maybe not.

Do tell one question, though, - what occupation is "other"? laugh

www.coffee-room.com

#744487 - 04/21/03 03:42 PM Re: removing splinters  
apple* Offline
apple*  Offline

Kansas
My husband - the carpenter business man regularly asks me to remove splinters from his hand. We have had to structure our lives to get what we get done done and Friday nite is often splinter nite. I have a beer..,.. (just kidding). He soaks his hands in epsom salts before I work on him with sterilized needles and tweezers. I've even slit the skin alongside larger splinters with sterilized razorblades. Now my children,,, I have to trick them to allow me to get a needle anywhere near their hands. (My husband is also a build-aholic and our land is totally full of decks, outbuildings and play centers made of wood); they get alot of splinters.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)
#744488 - 04/22/03 01:17 AM Re: removing splinters  
nancyww Offline
500 Post Club Member
nancyww  Offline
500 Post Club Member

central oregon
Good suggestions, thank you all. I hate to inflict unnecessary pain and suffering on the little guy so will wait and see if the sliver takes care of itself.

Ariel, it did seem suspicious the way my son insisted the splinter didn't hurt. Can't blame him tho; last time I spent half an hour with needle and tweezers and finally gave up. frown

Jolly, you are too much...using a hypodermic needle on a splinter?!? laugh OK, so it is sterile but that would surely traumatize the poor kid. Can't you just hear him telling his friends? ....and then Mom got out the eek hypodermic needle eek eek eek

#744489 - 04/22/03 05:02 AM Re: removing splinters  
johnmoonlight Offline
2000 Post Club Member
johnmoonlight  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lancaster, pa
One of two things will happen to that splinter if you "let it take care of itself".
Either your body will wall it off and form a protective layer of skin around(a foreign body granuloma) or it will become infected.
If a foreign body granuloma develops, he may not complain now, but wait 6 months to 2 years from now when that stupid lump will not go away and hurts every time he bumps it.
I had a patient come in with a "splinter" in his leg...brushed up against a picnic table. I worked on him for at least 1 hour without success. Finally we sent him to a surgeon who had to remove this 8 inch slab of wood while visualizing it under fluoroscopic x-ray.
Point is: there may be much more there than initially suspected.

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
#744490 - 04/22/03 01:15 PM Re: removing splinters  
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member
kenny  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

This will probably be no help but I am fortunate to work where we have $10,000 Zeiss microscopes of the perfect magnification for splinter extraction.
They also have halogen fiber optic ringlights for shadowless illumination.

Having a clear bright view and fine Swiss tweezers with a needle-sharp point makes removing most splinters a quick and painless process.
If I get a splinter on Saturday, I'll wait till Monday to "operate" on myself at work.
With the right tools, much less tissue may need to be disturbed.

If I lost my job, I'd certainly look for a supply source for those Excelta tweezers and at least get a good magnifying glass on a stand with a ringlight.

Digging away in normal light with no magnification and a blunt 99 cent dimestore tweezers is a good way to get someone to confess to crimes they did not commt.

#744491 - 04/22/03 02:20 PM Re: removing splinters  
Jolly Offline
Jolly  Offline

Louisiana
Jolly, you are too much...using a hypodermic needle on a splinter?!? [[Big Grin]] OK, so it is sterile but that would surely traumatize the poor kid. Can't you just hear him telling his friends? ....and then Mom got out the [[Eek!]] hypodermic needle [[Eek!]] [[Eek!]] [[Eek!]]
A lot better than a Bard-Parker blade.... wink

On another note...the last time I took my daughter to the ED, the RN tried to start an IV on her, and missed with the Jellco the first time. My daughter stopped her as she was getting out another needle, and asked, "Can my Daddy please do that?".

So I did.

www.coffee-room.com

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A flying concert grand piano - fun!
by Rich Galassini. 01/21/18 07:38 AM
Melville Clark Apollo Grand - What to do?
by PGA Rick. 01/20/18 11:09 PM
Wanted: Verituner 100
by Will Horne. 01/20/18 10:30 PM
Help - rhythm
by Moo :). 01/20/18 07:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,889
Posts2,689,046
Members89,486
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission