2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
26 members (colinstead, bilb, johanibraaten, FloRi89, Harpuia, Beowulf, Jonky Ponky, CraiginNZ, 6 invisible), 364 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Boulder Offline OP
OP Offline
B
After about a decade of not playing, I'm finally at a place (literally, and in life) where I can keep a piano and start up again.

Being so out of practice, I mostly had the dealer play a few tunes on several pianos in my price range and picked the one I liked best, as far as sound goes. Total price was just shy of $6K out the door (including tax and delivery).

I'm pretty excited--having already printed out a lot of sheet music, free from the Internet--until I can slowly build up my score collection again.

I have 3 questions maybe someone can offer some guidance:

1) The piano I bought is actually new in box. The dealer has taken about a week to prep it. How soon should I schedule my first tuning for? If it matters, I live in a rather dry climate with a decent amount of temperature variation (Colorado).

2) How many of you guys would recommend the Dampp-Chaser system because I live in a rather dry climate? I've seen quite a number of wood furniture showrooms in the area with clearance sales because particular specimens were cracked, presumably from the dryness.

3) Lastly, I've tried to contact 3 separate piano techs that I found on the PTG website. None of them have called or written back. I'm assuming they are too busy to take on new clients. Any suggestions as to what is the best way to find a good tech in the area?

Thanks!

G
G
Hi Boulder,

Congratulations on getting a piano back into your life - I have recently managed the same after a long absence and it feels great doesn't it!

Although I am in the UK and therefore not accustomed to your particular climate I would suggest the following.

1. I would give the piano about 4 weeks to settle in before having it retuned.

2. Before spending a lot of money on a dampp-chaser system I would recommend purchasing a relatively cheap hygrometer/thermometer - cigar shops sell them. That way you can actually monitor what your typical humidity and temp levels are and more importantly what the swing is during the day etc. If your humidity is below 45% then you probably will need some kind of humidifier.

3. Can the dealer where you purchased your piano recommend a technician? They normally know at least some of the people working in the area and hopefully your piano sale included a first tuning free with the price? Failing that, just have to keep asking around I guess.

Enjoy your new piano smile

Sauter Masterclass 130
----------------------
Currently working on:
Bach: French Suite no. 4
Beethoven: Op 10 no 1
Schubert: Op 90 no 3
Debussy: La Cathedrale Engloutie, Golliwog's Cakewalk, 'Clear the Room'
Balakirev / Glinka: The Lark

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Hi Boulder,

Welcome to the forums and Congratulations on your new Piano! The K3 is an excellent choice. It is always great to see someone getting back to playing.

1) I assume that it will be delivered with a fresh tuning. 1-2 Months should be a good settling in period.

2) I, for one, firmly believe in the DC-Piano Saver system. It will give you piece of mind and believe that they are beneficial to the piano's general "health."

3) That is rude behavior and I'm surprised that you have had a problem. You might want to contact the President of the local Guild chapter. Check with the store that sold you the piano, also, for a recommendation.

Again, Welcome

Marty in Minnesota

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Genaa - Great minds think alike! We were typing at the same time.

Boulder - Here in the US, any good hardware store will stock good, electronic hygrometers. They will set you back about 30 bucks.

Marty in Minnesota

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forum, Boulder, and congratulations on your new piano! We like pictures, so please post one if you get the chance.

Stability of humidity is more important than the absolute level, but my understanding is that it can get awfully dry in Colorado, and you don't want the humidity drifting below 35% or so. I'm a big fan of the DC system and see very little downside to getting one.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Boulder,

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats! Good choice. thumb
You'll enjoy that great Kawai K3 for many years to come. smile

Best wishes,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
M
M
Congratulations, Boulder, on your new Kawai K3! I recommend that you get the Dampp-Chaser system and not wait to find out about your humidity levels. The DC system will keep your piano 'humidity-healthy', no matter what the humidity levels are in your home.

B
Boulder Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you for the warm welcome and suggestions everyone! I've been practicing quite a bit since the piano was delivered. It certainly must be settling in as it definitely sounded much better the 2nd day. Now that it's home and I've had some time to play more, I feel like I made a good choice. The tone is better than my childhood piano and the action is incredibly crisp.

I have found an available piano tech from the PTG site. He will be ordering and installing the Dampp-Chaser system as soon as possible.

I've decided to wait 4 weeks for the initial tuning. One free tuning is provided with the purchase. After the initial tuning, I'll have the tech I found perform the long-term maintenance.

I actually have a hydrometer at home. It was reading in the 50s and low 60s this past weekend. I think (and hope) the Dampp-Chaser will be worthwhile investment for the long-term "health" of the piano.

Thanks again everyone. The first piece I'm trying to re-learn is Beethoven's Pathetique, first movement. I'm glad my parents made me continue with lessons while growing up. It's not quite like riding a bike--but it's amazing how much I still "remember"--despite the ~12-13 year hiatus.

B
Boulder Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We like pictures, so please post one if you get the chance.
[Linked Image]

thumb

Estonia L190-6783
Boulder - Congrats!

My truck will be paid off this fall. Am planning to purchase a K-3 at that time. I love the Kawai sound and the Millenium III action is great...

Enjoy.

Naked

Great pic, Boulder! It's beautiful. smile

Now that you have your piano, stop by the Pianists Corner or the Adult Beginners forum (despite its name, it's intended for restarters as well as beginners, and we have quite a few people there who are fairly advanced players).

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Great piano, good value. The actions are superb, and a joy to work on. They tune easily and have a very sweet sound.

Give it a few weeks or month to settle in. It will need another tuning within six months or so regardless of how long you wait for the initial in-home service call.

I'm glad the dealer prepped it before sending it to your home. While Kawai does a really superb job of readying the pianos in the factory, there are substantial benefits to having it gone over thoroughly before delivery.

Enjoy!

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
great picture. enjoy the new piano!

Representing Yamaha, Story and Clark, and other fine instruments
Menchey Music Service
Associate Member of PTG
Serving Central Pennsylvania and the Greater Baltimore Area
L
L
It's lovely!!
Nice choice.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bosendorfer VC
by wg73 - 04/20/21 03:00 AM
Excited to find Piano World forums
by SunnyKeys - 04/20/21 01:21 AM
Windows Audio Low Latency Mode in UVI Workstation
by OzarkCDN - 04/20/21 12:30 AM
First jam session tips
by Utkonos - 04/19/21 09:47 PM
Help with old hardware - MusicPad Pro Freehand
by ElmerJFudd - 04/19/21 09:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,405
Posts3,084,313
Members101,246
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission