2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#739359 02/20/02 08:57 AM
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
This forum was created at the suggestion of some of our regular members as a place to discuss topics that aren't related to music.

Because I like to think of Piano World as a place for friends from around the world to meet I decided to go ahead with a general topic forum.

Please remember the rules!
Our web site is family oriented. No foul language, no bad-mouthing other members.

The main idea of our forums is to be able to help each other (and to stay in touch).

My 3 jobs prevent me from having much time to participate in the forums, but I will be watching you laugh

Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

F
F
Great! Here, I brought these donuts, everyone help yourself. And I'll start the coffee...

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Fritz:
Great! Here, I brought these donuts, everyone help yourself.

Hi Fritz!

Are they Krispy Kream?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, I've been meaning to try a recipe I picked up recently called "Fastnacht", looks like a fried dough or donut type of thing.

But anyway, if someone decides to bring a dozen or many of Krispy Kreme's donuts, freshly made, then I'll be one of the first ones there! smile

Regards,
Lyn F.
F
F
Why, yes! They ARE Krispy Kreme....and it looks like the coffee's ready...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK, belly's full, caffine has kicked in, so what do you want to start with? How about Olympics. While these may be one of the most successful games for the US teams to date, these games will unfortunately be remembered as the 2002 "Whiner" Games.

No sooner do we get over the Canadian pairs skating affair when I see that Lithuania's dance pair has jumped on the judge bashing bandwagen, as have the Russians in women's aerial ski jumping. Never has the integrity of judging, which has been a problem seething on the backburners for so long, been more in the limelight. It does not bode well, in my view, for the future of any sport where the competition is subject to subjective judgement. Kinda makes me wonder if it's a sport at all really.

While many here in Canada and the US support the IOC's intervention on behalf of the Canadians, I for one would hate to be one of those competitors when it comes to a future competition - especially in Europe. I found a forum on Eurosport (Europe's ESPN or TSN) the other day, and was totally taken aback by the outright hatred of the Canadian pair. The atmosphere seemed to be that this controversy was all the Canadian's doing, that Sale intentionally hit the Russian skater in the warm up, and compared her to Tanya Harding. Oh boy! Major damage control will be necessary here, but some pretty big wounds appear to have been opened up

Big debate here in Canada right now as to whether the Prime Minister (Chretien) is going to support Bush if the US attacks Iraq in its War on Terrorism, and send Canadian Troops in. And what's up with the North Koreans these days. Seems that situation (North vs. South) is getting tense again. So unfortunate when you recall the Koreans entering the 2000 Olympics as one team. Was that just for show I wonder, or is it a case of idealogy lost, missed opportunity, or just a case of not ever really being there. Considwering the world cup of Soccer - the worlds biggest sporting event, is being hosted in the south this summer, the timing for increased hostilities - if that is in fact what is happening - could not possibly be worse.

Anyway, that's my hat thrown into the ring. Any takers?

Jamie

"A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" Oscar Wilde.
F
F
I know what you mean, questioning whether skating is a "sport." I do enjoy watching, and absolutely respect the athletic abilities of the skaters. But the integrity of the...well, "sport"--along with gymnastics--is now so questionable that I don't know if it can be repaired.

Maybe they (the Olympics) should stick to sports that are much more objectively judged.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is THIS the place Penny finally gets to give us her recipes?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Forget the plain ole coffee. I'll have a double decaf brevve (think latte but with cream instead of that pathetic nonfat milk!)

penny laugh

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Ahhh, the coffee God has but one name, and it is Community. smile

Jesting aside, the number 1 coffee in Louisiana is Community coffee. They ship all over the U.S., in order for native born who have moved away to get their early morning "fix". Try it if given the chance.

True coffee is Community dark roast, brewed in a sock-o-later, handed down from your grandmother. It's too thick to pour and too thin to slice. Perfect!

In other parts of the country, people fight over money, stocks or real estate. Here, we fight over who gets grandma's iron cookware and her coffee pot! laugh

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh great. One more place to click on an waste away the day. Sigh. Jodi

T
T2 Offline
T
<snip> Maybe they (the Olympics) should stick to sports that are much more objectively judged.

You mean like boxing?

F
F
Hee hee, no T2, I mean like track and field events.

(Boxing, I don't understand.)

But I do recognize that all sports have some degree of subjectivity in the judging or officiating.

Figure skating is obviously very subjective. It could be described as an art form requiring great physical abilities, rather than as a sport. I don't know. I just threw that out there for the sake of discussion. I might argue either way...

L
L
I know what you mean, questioning whether skating is a "sport." I do enjoy watching, and absolutely respect the athletic abilities of the skaters. But the integrity of the...well, "sport"--along with gymnastics--is now so questionable that I don't know if it can be repaired.

Maybe they (the Olympics) should stick to sports that are much more objectively judged.

It's not the integrity of the sport. It's the integrity of the judging. Two entirely different things. Anyone who doesn't think skating is a sport, needs to strap on some blades and try to stand up on a sheet of ice for a few minutes. Now think about the stamina and altheticism required to pull off the physical feats they accomplish for four and a half minutes. It's absolutely a sport. Much more so than curling, which in my opinion, is a game. Might as well add shuffleboard to the summer olympics. But I digress.

If you eliminated sports that are only objectively judged, you'd be left with very few, if any sports and certainly your money making sports would be gone, gone, gone. In the summer games, you'd have to eliminate gymnastics, diving, and any team sport officiated by refs or umps (basketball, soccer, baseball, etc.)

The winter olympics would have to say goodbye to skating, hockey, freestyle skiing, ski jumping, etc. Even the timed sports are overseen by offials who check equipment, screen the athletes for drugs, etc. I don't see how you could pare down the Olympics to only sports that wouldn't leave room for whining.

I, for one, think the Russians are just irked because they don't have the medal producing sports machine they enjoyed under previous management. Gone are the days that a Soviet soldier could receive great pay, a cool apartment and every waking moment free to practice a triple lutz.

I'm all for leaving the Olympics as are. They've weathered scandals and petulant countries in the past. They'll do it again.

Peace,

Lily

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
I'm all for leaving the Olympics as are. They've weathered scandals and petulant countries in the past. They'll do it again.

Right Lily. I totally agree.

Now pass the donuts!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Believe they could change the way the skating is judged. If you watch the mogul competition - there are groups of judges. 2 judges judge the 2 aerials, another group judge the way the competitor skid the moguls, then the completion time is added in as well. Skating could do something similar - one group of judges could judge artistic content, one group the technical stuff, plus maybe split out another aspect of the program for another group.

OR, drop one lowest and one highest score from everyone's marks to reduce the likelyhood of favouritism.

A
Amy Offline
A
I didn't notice that this new board was here until someone mentioned it in the pianist corner!

-Amy-
*Visit my page! http://www.expage.com/pianopalace
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Originally posted by PianoWorld:
This forum was created at the suggestion of some of our regular members as a place to discuss topics that aren't related to music.

Our web site is family oriented. No foul language, no bad-mouthing other members.

So.
It's been 3 years.
Have we followed the rules?

Originally posted by kenny:
Originally posted by PianoWorld:
[b] This forum was created at the suggestion of some of our regular members as a place to discuss topics that aren't related to music.

So.
It's been 3 years.
Have we followed the rules? [/b]
Have you?

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
I asked first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission