2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#728666 10/10/04 01:37 PM
Ypiano Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone,

I'm going to visit Montreal, Canada next weekend for the first time. I was wondering if anyone would like to recommend where I should visit or what I must(?) do while I'm there.
If anyone is from Montreal, do you know if they have any musical festivals going on next weekend?

Thank you!
Ypiano

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I asked this earlier this year. If you use the search function you'll find lots of great advice.

We went the last week of Aug with three children. The Botanical Garden was terrific and the kids loved the Biodome. You can buy combo tickets for both at a discount and there is a shuttle bus between the two places. This location is the former Olympic sight and we returned to ride the cable car to the top of the "fin" of the arena.

Another site we stumbled on was St. Joseph's. It is the huge copper dome seen from everywhere. Many pilgrims come to pray and the building is open for sight seeing. I found the interior surprisingly modern.

We used the metro almost exclusively, and the one time we didn't we were very sorry. It is faster by train than by car.

The hike up Mt. Royal is wonderful, an art exhibit was there amongst the woods. We enjoyed the scavenger hunt to find all the works. The view at the top is lovely...

Old Montreal is a bit touristy but we loved it. We walked around the village and a block or so off is a neighborhood consisting of tons of restaurants. We had a hard time deciding!

We missed many of the historical buildings, like the Notre Dame etc. The kids had just so much tolerance for that and we only had 4 days. For them the trip was memorable for the little things..The 7 year old loved the subway rides, the 10 year old loved the Orange Julep place, a HUGE orange ball of a building right out of the 50'-60's novelties. Food was awful, but we were in the hotel across the street so we never got lost! The oldest used his French to read the ads and placards everywhere we went.

I would love to go back...

If you are driving, it was worth the trip to stop off in Shelburne VT for the Shelburne Museum, something there for everyone...

I found that changing money was a better deal at the merchant. The hotel's rate was not as good. Most places will take US dollars but will give change in CN.

Thanks to Jodi's advice, we brought all of our birth certificates and border crossing was fine. The 7 year old askrd the guard if the tooth fairy came in Canada (he had lost his just that morning and was worried). Her reply, "Yes, but she gives in CN dollars so you get less money!" laugh

Have a great trip!

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Lovely story, BeeLady, lovely. I especially like to hear what your children enjoyed. Puts a smile on my face: real. simple. pleasures. Too bad about the devalued tooth! wink

Thanks for sharing your adventure. smile

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Not speaking French, I had communication problems when I was there last.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
We only ran into two people who didn't speak English. Bonjour! is almost like a code word, if you answer "Hello" they immediately speak English.

The two people who spoke no English were both over 65 year old men. One parking lot attendant the other a charming man who was playing the cello in the subway on a Sunday morning. smile

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
Yep, my first problem was in a parking garage. I had height issues with my van (turtle-top). He didn't speak (or wouldn't speak) English. But then I wasn't doing the touristy thing too much and tended to meet more non-English speaking people. But I managed (usually with the help of others nearby).

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Like Steve Martin said, "Those French! They have a different word for everything!"

Ypiano Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Beelady for your great advice! I'm looking forward to it. Hope the weather will be nice.

Thanks again,
Ypiano

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Don't know where you're from, Ypiano, but it is a bit chilly up this way.. Bring warm clothes.

Have a great time!

BeeLady

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission