2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#72341 05/11/05 03:02 PM
R
rogerwa Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I know this question has been asked many times so please don't flame me wink .

We need to buy my son a piano and move him off of the electric keyboard that he is currently using. He has been in lessons for about two years and his teacher really feels he should be on a true instrument.

I have read a number of the posts on here and have to say that my budget is around $2200. I simply cannot do (justify) more than that at this point (four kids in private school). We want to get him something decent, yet we don't know if he will lose interest in a year or so.

This forum has been helpful to me already as it has disuaded me from looking the Hobart Cable model that our local retailer had for $1995 new (I didn't like the fit and finish anyway).

Where I am at right now is that I have looked at and heard/compared a new Story and Clark continental, which I think is near the bottom of the barrel for $2395. They do delivery and a one year retuning. From my viewpoint it really does look and sound nice.

However, I am also expanding my search into the used domain. What would be key models to search for in this price point, albeit low?

There are several outlets in my area that have good inventories of used pianos and they say they are willing to deal.

Any help in this journey would be great.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Take a look at the Baldwin studio model.. a 243 I think, that can be had new around your price range.

Might also look at used Baldwin Hamilton studios. I saw one the other day in a secondhand shop that was pretty nice.. $125.

As far as the one year retuning, you should count on tuning your new piano probably at least three times the first year, maybe the second.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
rogerwa,

Were I you, I would devour everything that this wonderful forum has to offer by exploring all the archives and faqs. Some of the information may prevent you from making an unwise buying decision or lead you to a wise buying decision. Granted, it takes time to filter though it all.

Within your budget, I would venture to say that you will be looking to buy a used piano.

Once you have identified a piano or pianos in your price range, come back to this forum with brand, age/ serial # of the piano, and any information you have been given about the maintenance, and upgrading/work that has been done on the piano. This will give people here information to help you.

With that information, I believe people here will be able to help you make a reasonably educated buying decision, thought I am also sure that they will also recommend that a tech give you an on site professional opinion before you sign on the dotted line. Not a bad idea at all IMO.

R
rogerwa Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks. I have been spending time reading and I have already come up with some specific models to seek out.

One thing attractive about the new model was the practice mode that dropped a feltpad between the strings and the hammers(?). While this is a selfish want, is this a no-no and how common is that feature?

Roger,

My personal thoughts on the felt pad (having had one in my small upright for four years) is that it is completely useless. It isn't going to diminish the sound enough to be useful as a "muffler", and will only serve to annoy your piano tech when tunings or other maintenance are needed. It is simply a way for a salesman to take advantage of you as a novice purchaser (as I was), and tout a completely useless feature in order to get you to make a purchase.

I'd recommend that you buy an acoustic piano without any "practice mode" gizmos and keep the electric keyboard (with headphones) for those times when you need some quiet in the house without interfering with practice.

Best of luck!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Have you every considered a quality digital piano, not to be confused with an electronic keyboard which you already have?

We sell Hobart Cable, and the one you probably saw is the same model we sell for $1999, and I really would not recommend it to anyone, though it seems like you had already ruled that model out anyway.

Good luck in your search.

Representing Yamaha, Story and Clark, and other fine instruments
Menchey Music Service
Associate Member of PTG
Serving Central Pennsylvania and the Greater Baltimore Area
R
rogerwa Offline OP
OP Offline
R
His teacher was not high on the use of a digital. We have the space and the noise will not be too bad as it is in a living room on the other side of the house that doesn't get used daily.

The more I read the more I think I will pursue a better quality used model. I live in Mpls and there are lots of options here.

I am working with a person from a major retailer that has a warehouse full of used pianos. i will start there and see if there is something I can find that would be of a better quality.

thanks for the feedback on the practice mode option as I was going to make that a criteria for my search.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It is good to hear that you have many options in your area.

Do you play the piano also.

If not, you should take a friend or family member who plays or maybe even your son's teacher. They could play and evaluate the piano with an unbiased frame of mind.

Representing Yamaha, Story and Clark, and other fine instruments
Menchey Music Service
Associate Member of PTG
Serving Central Pennsylvania and the Greater Baltimore Area
R
rogerwa Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I do not play..

What about a 10 y/o Young Chang Model F108? It's a consignment that is offered for $1895. I understand it has some cat scratches which brought the price down. But was told it was a nice looking piano. I have not yet seen it so do not know how extensive.

saw Offline
fyi - I was able to find a 12 year-old Charles Walter console in great condition for $2500. I know finding one of these is a bit unusual, but something to be on the lookout for. It is a high quality piano that might be available in your price range.

Celebrate and enjoy the journey!
have you considered renting? sometimes the rental can be applied to purchase later...could give you time to confirm your sons committment, build up capital for a bigger purchase...

A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may never get over.
--Benjamin Franklin
Roger,

If you do not play, you may do well to take Christopher Smith's suggestion and bring someone along with you that does (so that you do not waste your funds on a poor-quality instrument that simply 'looks' good). If your son's piano teacher is strongly recommending to you that your son needs a better instrument, perhaps he/she would be willing to tag along for an evaluation.

Also beware of high-pressure tactics, e.g., a "sale" expiring that day. You will *never* miss out on a great piano deal by waiting/looking for another day or two more.

If you give us a sense of your location, perhaps someone on the forum could steer you to a reputable dealer.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Rogerwa,

I wanted to give a different opinion of the mute rail. I find it works quite effectively.

On some newer pianos it is activated by the middle pedal. It can be added to any vertical piano by the dealer, or your own technician. My Charles Walter has one (dealer installed) and it is operated by a small pull lever under the keyboard.

By the way, if you decide to go with a used instrument, you should call piano technicians in your area. They often know of instruments for sale. And usually, they know the piano because they've been tuning and caring for it.

Wynne
R
rogerwa Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I am in Minneapolis.. I may try to leverage his teacher when we narrow it down.

Thanks for all your comments. I am just educating myself to make the best purchase I can.

The dealer I am working with at one retailer is preparing a list of used items in my range that they in stock. I will probably be coming back with items on this list for your opinions.

Any comments on the quality of the previously mentioned Y&C? In the reading of the posts, I understand that the older models are decent pianos? Wrong??

R
rogerwa Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Need opinions.. I looked at a few pianos this evening.

One was a new(2000 model) Knabe KN-35, I beleive mfg'd by Young Chang. They were asking $2600 for it. Is this a good deal?

He also had a 1960's Knabe upright that i did not get a chance to see. He said it was in really good shape. He was asking $2000 for this one. He said that this original Knabe is a very good piano.

Any opinions would be great. thanks

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Knabes are made by Samick. No sure about the uprights, but the grands are very nice.

Ditch the 60's Knabe. That's way high in price for a 40 year old piano, and by the 60's my understanding is that they were not the same quality instruments as in the 20's-40's.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
R
rogerwa Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Well the guy wouldn't deal on the Knobe. but he would deal on the Baldwin Hamilton Studio. This is a mid 70's model that was a one owner, in the home not school, piano. The case looks real good and it sounds pretty good. They offer a 3 year warranty on this as well. They had it listed for $2680 but will drop the price to $2200.

Does that sound like a good deal. I understand this is a good model. Let me know your feedback. thanks..

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by mikhailoh:
Knabes are made by Samick. No sure about the uprights, but the grands are very nice.

Ditch the 60's Knabe. That's way high in price for a 40 year old piano, and by the 60's my understanding is that they were not the same quality instruments as in the 20's-40's.
I disagree. The 60's Knabe, if in good shape, was a great piano. $2000 isn't cheap, but it my be the best value you have asked about.

Keep it on your short list but definately have a tech check it out.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
rogerwa if you get a chance please stop by Schmitt Music in Brooklyn Center and talk with Denny Butts. Denny is such a nice guy, and he will sit down and chat with you and your child and recommend a few pianos you may be interested in. You will note that he will place absolutely no pressure on you to buy.

I am not affiliated with Schmitt in any way, just a very very happy customer; I should tell you that Denny is so sincere and honest from past experiences dealing with him.

Hope you find a piano that you will enjoy for years smile

R
rogerwa Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I already have a rep with Schmitts that has done some searching for me but I appreciate the lead!!

I am in Burnsville so that is quite a trek..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission