Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
132 registered members (bennevis, Agent88, aeroseb, Balezin Dmitry, almo82, ajames, Charles Cohen, 29 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fascinating piano--Johann Fritz & Sohn #72312
01/11/07 02:45 AM
01/11/07 02:45 AM
Berkeley, California
S
shirlkirsten Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
shirlkirsten  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
S

Berkeley, California
About 6 months ago I literally met up with a very unusual piano that was delivered to a thrift store of the American Cancer Society. It turned out to be a very small grand with a Viennese action that had on its fall board, "J. Fritz & Sohn." (It so happens that Johann Fritz was a celebrated Fortepiano builder,, which got me to thinking.....)
The appearance alone of this piano was for me, at least, quite astounding. It had candle holders that retracted, an ornate, filigreed rack--and very aethetic pleasing engraved areas. It had a squared off side, but obviouly it was NOT a square grand. It almost had the casing of an ornate harpshichord-I was definitely into researching the instrument to try to piece together its place in history as a horizontal bar bounced conspicuously up and down when I depressed the damper pedal, and this animated bar was within full view of anyone performing on this treasure, as well as listeners.
Obviously the appearance alone would not have satisfied me as a musician.. but when I sat down to play this piano that dated to about 1876, it HAD ONE GORGEOUS VOICE--and belying its petite size, it had a huge resounding BASS-so much so that I thought immediately of the Steinway characteristic sound in this range, and I could imagine hearing one of the great composers of the past, even Chopin, though 1876 was a bit late for him, playing this instrument, that would give us a glimpse of what the piano in concert might have sounded like back then. I played this instrument for almost three hours every day at the thrift store and it held up--though before I had even dared to play it, it had sadly fallen down one whole tone below concert A 440. In this regard, my tuner/tech friend said he thought it would be unwise to try to bring the pitch up even a fraction, without risking snapping the ORIGINAL strings. This fragile and musically sensitive instrument did ultimately find a home, and actually two prospective buyers were in competition to get it for its antique value alone.. I was so enamored of this piano because of what I thought was its historical value as well as it full range sonority, that I contacted some experts in the Bay area and sent pictures of the piano, its action, assembly, and shots of the conspicuous bobbing bar that made a rhythmic racket. This percussive accompaniment to my playing made me think or imagine, perhaps, that I was playing a Forte piano of Johann Fritz, though the sound was way too enormous and the feel was quite resistant to the touch, as well--And it did not show any evidence that it was a Fortepiano . Sadly, this instrument and those of its kind are not considered worth putting into the Smithsonian, and I have heard the experts in the field say that "so what," there are lots of these out there. But I will not forget playing the Chopin Etude no.12 in c minor on this so-called "babiest" of grands and how the floor shook in and the sounds resonated off the plaster walls--it definitely had personality and sparkle to invite the attention of innocent and more sophisticated ears. I might also mention that it had a pink colored stick that held the lid up that did not match the wood, and apparently this was exactly how it was meant to be. The whole issue of restoration somehow is suggested here--but from what I was told by some of the technicians who sometimes rebuild these, that altering the materials, the hammers, even the way the dampers work somehow changes a piano like this--so that it is really not the same anymore. This whole subject invites lots of discussion as there are builders and rebuilders who devote their lives to working with these rare instruments. I discovered, as well that the piano came from an auction house in Oakland, I think, then found its way to an antique store in Fresno. Finally, someone bought it, kept it for a short while and then donated it to the thrift store. I hope this beauty is alive and well.. and will offer more to its new owner than lots of conversation about it.

Piano blog: Performances, Instruction, Interviews
http://www.arioso7.wordpress.com

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7

NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and Baldwin165, Yamaha 255
MTAC Alameda
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Fascinating piano--Johann Fritz & Sohn #72313
01/11/07 04:28 PM
01/11/07 04:28 PM
Placerville, California
M
Moe Howard Offline
Moe Howard  Offline
M

Placerville, California
Music32,

Just curious - what did the thrift store want for it?, and what did it eventually go for?

- Moe

Mason & Hamlin Model A #91743
----------------------------------
Re: Fascinating piano--Johann Fritz & Sohn #72314
01/11/07 08:23 PM
01/11/07 08:23 PM
Berkeley, California
S
shirlkirsten Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
shirlkirsten  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
S

Berkeley, California
The person who donated the piano to the thrift store said that it cost her $5000. She had purchased it from a local antique establishment here in Fresno. The Cancer Society which got it, put it up for $5,000--then lowered the price to $3,0000, and ultimately got $2000 for it.
Shirley www.fasttraxx.com/shirleykirsten
Steinway, M grand (1917 rebuilt in NYC and CA)
PIANO FINDER--Independent--used pianos

Piano blog: Performances, Instruction, Interviews
http://www.arioso7.wordpress.com

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7

NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and Baldwin165, Yamaha 255
MTAC Alameda
Re: Fascinating piano--Johann Fritz & Sohn #72315
07/20/07 05:39 PM
07/20/07 05:39 PM
berber Offline
berber  Offline

music32,

I have an old J Fritz and I loved your text. Mine is very old, of course, but I could not find any information about it. I tried everywhere! I sent some pictures to a piano rebuilder in Australia, and he told me that it was built around 1840 - 1860. It is a grand piano, very ornated.
One piano store was going to TRASH it!!!!! I begged them not to and in the end they said - You want it? Get it out of here! So I got it for free (well, almost, after all I had to pay $20 for the U-Haul and two pizzas for the delivery guys).

In any case, I loved your post and if you , or anybody knows anything about J Fritz, please let me know.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Used upright Wurlitzer vs. Guild
by Mikka.kate. 11/20/18 01:34 PM
Feature Heip
by kmdmb. 11/20/18 12:03 PM
VPC1 Does not play iPad
by IosPlayer. 11/20/18 10:12 AM
Most new pianos sold?
by j&j. 11/20/18 09:25 AM
Will Garriton cfx run on this laptop?
by Rohit04062. 11/20/18 07:22 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,429
Posts2,762,873
Members91,533
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission