2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Q
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Q
"I say it is perfectly appropriate to reply to someone and say their analysis is simplistic. Or flawed. Or wrong. Or questionable. Or circular."

Cindy, I hate to say it, but you're on a slippery slope here. That principle doesn't work.

How about if someone said, your views are idiotic? How about, that argument is moronic? How about if someone said, that opinion is stupid and worthless and not worthy of intelligent discussion? These are statements about the argument or the views, not about the person, but they are highly insulting. They lead to personal attacks and flame wars. They should be out of bounds, too.

If you use lines like "a hyena with hiccups", you might be a redneck.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I agree with QuirtEvans on this. I would add that the slope is getting more slippery and the air icier by the moment.

"The older the fiddle, the sweeter the music"~ Augustus McCrae
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Apple:
Ben - said he took no offense - why should you?
Apple, in all honesty, do you think it's acceptable to address a thirteen year old like this?

"Man, are *you* ever a freaking moron!"

"You can't move anywhere, Bendover. Your Mommy won't let you. You couldn't buy the gas to get to Canada from Texas, much less buy a cottage when you got there. You're just a punk kid who doesn't have a clue. Just one more snot nosed kid that has never had to work a day in his life, sucking off his mommy and daddy.
But let me join with those who have welcomed you to take your sorry little *** and get out of the US. Maybe you can save your allowance money until you can afford a bus ticket.
Of course, promise me you'll stay once you leave, and I'll buy the ticket for you."

"You see this little t*t sucker as mature?"

"All right, look here you stupid ****ing moron, I looked at your stupid ****ing chart and I cannot find in it one example of what could be fairly described as a deliberate misrepresentation of fact. There are a lot of intelligence estimates that turned out not to be correct but we already know about the problems with our intelligence community. None of these, however, is a lie. In other words, and I'm typing slowly here so even a stupid ****ing moron like yourself will understand, none of these were statements made with full knowledge that they were wrong at the time they were made. I don't mind having a debate about issues but you are in way over your head and I'm all done trying to sort ou your stupid ****ing point of view. "

"You left something out, moron."

Apple, I've got a thirteen year old step-son. I would not be happy about him being spoken to like this wether he said he was offended or not. He's THIRTEEN.

I know kids should not be here unattended/unsupervised but that's beside the point. Those standards are unacceptable to me.

Btw, I've left out the names of the posters because at least one but not all, made a subsequent effort to treat Ben in a more civil manner.

How now, brown cow.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't approve of rudeness to anyone. That behavior is inappropriate, I agree. The point has been made at least 50 times and I agree with it each time....

however on the other hand, I don't know that it is right to garner partisan resentment against a poster, using the age of a 13 yr. old as fuel, and have that resentment serve ill ends. What happened in the anti-Larry tyrade is that a whole bunch of piano trolls jumped on Larry at certain peoples' prodding to the detriment of the forum.
That's not right. It's not right that people insult mothers who aren't here or that people I don't even know send me private messages bemoaning my behavior. I think I'm pretty fair and civil.

there's alot of other things I don't like but I have probably already stated them.

I like everyone arguing and engaging in debate.. We used to do it well before the election results erupted like an infected pimple. I hope it'll settle down because y'all have me quite upset.

The only thing I can do is practice.. tata

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by apple*:
I hope it'll settle down because y'all have me quite upset.
hmmmmm..........................

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple*:
I like everyone arguing and engaging in debate.. We used to do it well before the election results erupted like an infected pimple. I hope it'll settle down because y'all have me quite upset.
Well I would say it started going septic when the troops who went into Iraq couldn't find the infamous MWD and was downright gangrous by the election. No one realized the smell of almonds until about three weeks after Shantinik (the only person who I can honestly say I truly miss in this joint- whether or not I agreed with his points) pulled the plug. Even then the smell of rot was mistaken for icing sugar.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
apple, how can you read the posts that lucy quoted, knowing full well who made them, say that you disapprove of those posts, and yet endorse the poster to be a moderator? it boggles the mind.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
I'd just like to point out something to all you den mothers: In one CR thread, in one night, there were more posts than all the Tea Room threads combined. And a nasty sucker, it was.

Actions do speak louder than words....

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gryphon:
Originally posted by piqué:
[b]civil and uncivil. give the examples as they arise.
"Larry, is your mother proud of *you*? Never mind. Don't answer that. Just send me her e-mail address." [/b]
If that's my worst offense, I feel quite vindicated. BTW, to whomever suggested it, I did not insult Larry's mother in that thread, either.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
however on the other hand, I don't know that it is right to garner partisan resentment against a poster, using the age of a 13 yr. old as fuel, and have that resentment serve ill ends.
Apple, I'm not garnering partisan support against a poster. a) There's more than one and b)That's why I left out the names and I mentioned that at least one had tried to make ammends.
The point I'm making is that when there is a child on the forum we have a responsibility to moderate our behaviour considerably not speak to him/her in the style above.

Sorry if I've upset you mate! I know you don't disagree with any of this in principle.

Edit:If we're all talking too much and need to take action I suggest we start with Quirt's advice over in the other thread.
I'm up for it.

How now, brown cow.
Kathy, you kept telling Larry to give you his mom's email address so you could write her nasty emails about Larry. And piqué derided his mom's accomplishments and award honoring her for them.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
I don't think that the members of the Piano Forum are best suited to act like the talking heads on CNN and Fox who as a matter of course substitute yelling for civil discourse. But that doesn't mean that a biting comment is per se uncivil provided it is intelligent and not a substitute for a lack of words. And merely tossing out the "L" word (not a reference to the TV show) doesn't suffice as intellectual majesty. The simple question is why are some so concerned about the "unborn" while seeming not to care about seeing that all the ones that are born are fed, clothed, and housed?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And just where did I say that I would write her nasty e-mails? :rolleyes: And do you think for a minute I thought Larry would supply me with his mother's e-mail address?

(Actually, the thought of discussing Larry with his mother gives me the giggles. I can just imagine the conversation, sort of like one of those where you discuss your child's playmate's bad behavior with the kid's parents).

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gryphon:
And piqué derided his mom's accomplishments and award honoring those accomplishments.
i did no such thing, gryphon. i questioned the veracity of larry's story. it sounded a little over-the-top to me.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

It read that way, piqué. But questioning Larry's veracity, given his tenure here, is no better. You may not like his bluntness, but he is no liar, and you know that.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
um, well, gryphon, i wouldn't call larry a liar. but i have sometimes suspected him of being an embellisher. he's quite capable of hyperbole when he decides to go that route.

and within the context of him getting called on the carpet about behaving badly here, it is suspiciously good timing for him to be producing a nice, whitewashing story about himself and his family.

i have no proof it isn't true, and don't care to investigate further. just pointing out what i see as a curiosity, and people can draw their own conclusions.

if that makes me a meany, so be it. :shrug:

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Somebody who swore they were leaving, and has been posting up a storm wrote:
And just where did I say that I would write her nasty e-mails? And do you think for a minute I thought Larry would supply me with his mother's e-mail address?
That's the way I took it, the rest of the board took it, and every living, breathing, sentinent being in the known universe who read that trash, took it.

Quit wiggling, Kathy. You did it, you know you did, and you enjoyed it.

And that, ma'am, is your problem.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ossk8ter:
The simple question is why are some so concerned about the "unborn" while seeming not to care about seeing that all the ones that are born are fed, clothed, and housed?
Who does that?

-The 89th Key [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] www.thecollegecritic.com [Linked Image]
--- Integrity | Loyalty | Simplicity ---
um, well, gryphon, i wouldn't call larry a liar. but i have sometimes suspected him of being an embellisher. he's quite capable of hyperbole when he decides to go that route.

and within the context of him getting called on the carpet about behaving badly here, it is suspiciously good timing for him to be producing a nice, whitewashing story about himself and his family.

i have no proof it isn't true, and don't care to investigate further. just pointing out what i see as a curiosity, and people can draw their own conclusions.

if that makes me a meany, so be it. :shrug:
In other words, I can make a fairly nasty comment about someone's mother, and then toodle off into the sunset.

BTW, pique, we all know who Larry is, and we know the award his mother "alledgedly" received.

Just who are you?

You've spoken much of your journalistic integrity, and it might be fun to poke a few holes in that monololithic bastion of anonimity...

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Pique cut the crap. You think he is a "BeeEsser".

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission