2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A
The dominant culture doesn't celebrate itself, JB. The melting pot itself just IS! It's the rutabagas, and carrots and parsley and meatballs which seem to need to celebrate their uniqueness before being totally blended in the stew.

(Feel free to laugh at my Campbell's soup metaphor! whome )

Let's look at it another way.

WhiteAngloSaxonAmerica no longer has to bear the ignominy alone, of promoting tits and ass ogling competitions under the pretext of recognizing inner feminine beauty!

Ariel

If this is coffee, bring me tea. If this is tea, bring me coffee.
~Abraham Lincoln~
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Ariel:
The dominant culture doesn't celebrate itself, JB.
Why not?

WhiteAngloSaxonAmerica no longer has to bear the ignominy alone, of promoting tits and ass ogling competitions under the pretext of recognizing inner feminine beauty!

Ariel
You mean that the "what would I do to make this a better world" essay type competition was all BS? I guess the irony of it went by me while I was waiting for the swimsuit competition. [Linked Image]

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As an aside, my hero is Dr. Ben Carson, a world-renowned African-American neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins. Why is he my hero? Because he had an absolutely **itty childhood, growing up in the crime ridden projects of Baltimore but seemed to rise above it all on pure guts and determination. If you get a chance read his book.

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Originally posted by bcarey:
[b]
Quoting Larry. And I have no need for Hanukah, but I feel no need to criticize those who do. Kwanzaa is so benign. If others find it uplifting or meaningful, why the heck should anyone care?
Heaven forbid! eek I'm agreeing with a conservative!
Editing: Larry, that was a very sexy comment! Just didn't want you to feel left out. wink
I am afraid Larry never said it. Somehow my statment was picked up with the wrong attribution. And most would not consider me a conservative (except perhaps my ultra lefty wife). [/b]
Jack Frost,

Apologies for attributing your post to Larry. I think I may have caught a glimpse of your hat on the avatar and thought it was Larry. Guess my first instinct ( eek )at agreeing with a conservative was right? laugh

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by SR:
But seriously now, I'm not being flippant...
Just how do the two of you choose the line
where exclusion is acceptable and where it's not.
Jim Crow, segregation, past discrimination were all about exclusion. Affirmative action, black themed events, programs, holidays are all about inclusion. There is a huge difference and I think that Ariel has said it very well.

"Make the pie higher." GWB
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Tom-*K:

The "feast" is an effortlessly pointless and meaningless monograph on the art of "otherness." Nothing more. [/QB]
My head reels from the profundity!
confused confused confused
laugh

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
kathy--they're saying they're, oh so "Special!"

Also, I think that Kwansaa is a tad disingenuous. If you really want to know what blacks think about themselves in general and black women in particular take the "A" train to Harlem. Let yourself be serenaded by 20,000 dBs of black culture coming from a boom box that will describe in graphic detail the hopes dreams and ideals of current black society.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Afirmative action is inclusionary. :rolleyes:

Tell that to the Asian kid who is not admitted to school because they've already got their "quota" of Asians. Tell that to the young white male, who is denied promotion, regardless of his work record, because more diversity is needed in the workplace. Tell that to the nurse who is not hired for the job, because a less qualified male nurse applied for the same job, and the hospital has decided to become more gender concious.

Some of the greatest harm is done in the name of the greatest good. Y'all may not realize it, but you are laying the foundation for the next Civil War, or perhaps the second American revolution, with policies that run counter to the founding ideas of competition, and merit.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jolly:
Afirmative action is inclusionary. :rolleyes:

Tell that to the Asian kid who is not admitted to school because they've already got their "quota" of Asians. Tell that to the young white male, who is denied promotion, regardless of his work record, because more diversity is needed in the workplace. Tell that to the nurse who is not hired for the job, because a less qualified male nurse applied for the same job, and the hospital has decided to become more gender concious.

Some of the greatest harm is done in the name of the greatest good. Y'all may not realize it, but you are laying the foundation for the next Civil War, or perhaps the second American revolution, with policies that run counter to the founding ideas of competition, and merit.
Jolly-- you may be right, but the trigger for the hypothetical war will be economic. How do you align your view of competition and fairness with the latest tax cut, where the richest tiny % received the most money?

Nina

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The richest tiny % pay most of the taxes. This so-called "tax cut for the rich" actually took enough people off the tax rolls to make it so that the majority of Americans now pay no net income tax. How much more of a tax cut can we give them?

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
a myth perpetuated by liberal propoganda.. maybe.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Tom-*K:
kathy--they're saying they're, oh so "Special!"

Also, I think that Kwansaa is a tad disingenuous. If you really want to know what blacks think about themselves in general and black women in particular take the "A" train to Harlem. Let yourself be serenaded by 20,000 dBs of black culture coming from a boom box that will describe in graphic detail the hopes dreams and ideals of current black society.
So we celebrate and accept the very worst aspects of Black cultural expression and denigrate those who try to boost the positive aspects through the Kwanzaa celebration???

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Jolly-- you may be right, but the trigger for the hypothetical war will be economic. How do you align your view of competition and fairness with the latest tax cut, where the richest tiny % received the most money?

Well, you have to ask yourself - who paid the taxes in the first place? How do you give a tax cut to someone who didn't pay any taxes to begin with?

Of course the richest tiny% got the most money back. They paid the most in. John Doe pays in 30K in taxes, gets back 600$... Jim Doe pays in nothing, gets back 50$.... who profited the most?

This "tax cuts for the rich" is a line of crap from the Democrats that I cannot for the life of me understand why people can't see through. The money the government takes from you in taxes is YOUR MONEY, not the government's. If they give some of it back, it should go back to the one who paid it in in the first place. Otherwise, you have a situation of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need". And I don't know about you, but I will fight that to the death.

So we celebrate and accept the very worst aspects of Black cultural expression and denigrate those who try to boost the positive aspects through the Kwanzaa celebration???
Now that's a heckuva societal judgement!

The very worst? Excuse me, but I beg to differ...

gryphon Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
So we celebrate and accept the very worst aspects of Black cultural expression
Not I.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Here is the true story of the origin of Kwanzaa, and the man who started it. I await your comments.

Just make sure you\'ve read it and allowed it to sink in before you respond.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Larry:

Here is the true story of the origin of Kwanzaa, and the man who started it. I await your comments.
Just make sure you\'ve read it and allowed it to sink in before you respond. [/QB]
Larry, thanks for the fascinating article. I was not aware of the origins of Kwanzaa, other than to know it was of recent vintage. It would appear to me that the celebration has readily transcended its shady origins (or at least its shady founder) and become something that is meaningful and of value to a large number of people.

It would be interesting to know which other holidays have origins that are not consistent with their present day expression. I was told that you ran a long post about the origins of Thanksgiving. Since that predates my joining this forum, I missed it and could not find it looking back. I would love to read it if you can point me in the right direction.

By the way, I am no fan of Al either.

gryphon Offline OP
OP Offline
Who couldn't see that coming. Much like L. Ron Hubbard making up the religion Scientology and now people finding something of value in that sham as well, huh Mr. Frost?

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
All holidays are made up! They weren't here for us to discover.

-----

I stronly urge anyone who reads the article to also click the button (at the bottom of the article) "View Comments". Lot's of interesting support and rebuttals there. Including Bush's Official Kwanzaa message (posted by someone else):

PRESIDENT BUSH'S OFFICIAL KWANZAA MESSAGE

I send greetings to those celebrating Kwanzaa.

Kwanzaa celebrates the traditional African values of unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity, and faith. From December 26th to January 1st, people of African descent gather to renew their commitment to these seven principles, known as Nguzo Saba, and give thanks for the blessings of family, community, and culture. Kwanzaa is also a time for Africans and African-Americans to honor their common heritage by participating in events based on early harvest gatherings called matunda ya kwanza, or first fruits.

As individuals and families join together during Kwanzaa, their joy enriches communities in the
United States and across the globe. By uniting people of diverse backgrounds and beliefs, this holiday promotes mutual understanding and respect. These universal principles inspire us as we work together for a future of freedom, hope, and opportunity for all.

Laura joins me in sending our best wishes for a memorable Kwanzaa, and for peace, happiness, and success in the coming year.

GEORGE W. BUSH

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
And you think this illustrates presidential support for the holiday?

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Son, Bush is a politician. I bet you he probably will shake your hand, or kiss a baby at a campaign stop.

You don't alienate potential voters, unless you have to.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission