2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes Derick, the proposal is being prepared by architects Skidmore Owings & Merill for Larry Silverstein, the real estate developer who holds the 99-year master lease for the World Trade Center development. Under the terms of the lease, he has sole discretion of what to build or not build on the site, subject to review of the Port Authority, the actual landowner. I think that he has the right to replace the towers exactly as they were, or to build the same amount of space of equivalent prestige/stature/whatever you want to call it. So while the PA has oversight over whatever Silverstein wants to do on the site, if they try to play that hand too heavily, he has the ability to walk away from the lease and the redevelopment, and pocket his insurance payout - which will be either $3.5 billion, or $7 billion, depending on the outcome of the ongoing insurance dispute. Silverstein had the towers insured for $3.5 billion "per occurrence," and has been making the case that the two planes hitting the towers were actually two occurrences. The insurers are saying that since the two planes were part of a coordinated act, it is actually one occurrence. The insurance policy language seems pretty clear cut, to favor the insurance company's position. But the insurers may end up agreeing to a settlement to avoid a legal battle that would be expensive and a disaster on the PR front, to the tune of somewhere between 4.5 and 5 billion dollars - the estimated actual replacement cost of the towers. (this is all per a WSJ article from yesterday or the day before) Time will tell.

One change I would make from the design described in the Architectural Record article: If I were Silverstein, I would require that the new building be at least one foot taller than the old ones.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Dwain. I didn't read your original post carefully enough causing you to repeat some it. Sorry about that.

Would you build the tower 1 foot taller just to show the terrorists we are not intimidated?

One more question, how much do you think it would cost to build such a tower?

Derick

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Derick:
Thanks Dwain. I didn't read your original post carefully enough causing you to repeat some it. Sorry about that.

Would you build the tower 1 foot taller just to show the terrorists we are not intimidated?

One more question, how much do you think it would cost to build such a tower?

Derick
No problem, Derick. Yes, I would want to send an in-your-face signal that we will not be intimidated by terrorists. Surely everyone must realize that to do anything less would be to have lost in the eyes of those who would destroy us. In addition to the symbolic remembrance and filling the need for replacement office space, the design has to serve as a symbolic middle finger to the terorists.

As far as the cost, our clients know our firm has a reputation for generating pretty accurate cost estimates, but skyscrapers definitely aren't our specialty, and NYC isn't our turf, so I couldn't even give a guess.

A good friend/former client is a construction project manager for a Manhattan-based CM firm (in the past, she has served as the project manager for the renovation of Madison Square Garden & started as PM for the Lincoln Center renovation before moving on). Now you've got me curious; I'm going to ask her what something like that would cost.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'd be interested in finding out how much such a building would cost just for the sake of curiosity.

Since the original WTC was insured for 3.5 billion, I was wondering if that's what it would cost to rebuild them. And, if that were the case, would it cost about 1.75 billion to build just one tower.

Obviously, I have no architectural background. But billions of dollars for a building (minus the land) floors me.

Derick

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here's something considerably smaller that costs about 3 billion dollars each:

[Linked Image]

But you know, a billion dollars just doesn't go as far as it used to. smile

As far as replacement cost, I think the WSJ article mentioned that it would cost around 5 billion to replace the two towers. Their internal memos showed that Silverstein's group was quoted premiums for 5 billion in coverage, and they balked at the expense. Other memos noted that they worried that they were underinsured at 3.5B. That's why the insurance battle is so important; if it's only one occurrence, Silverstein doesn't have enough to rebuild in kind.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
5 billion, wow. But if you compare the WTC to that 'little' plane, 5 billion is a bargain. wink

Derick

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Isn't anyone afraid that the terrorists might try and knock it down again? After all, the reason the trade towers were the targets was simply because they stood so tall above the NY skyline and were easy targets (the bigger they are the harder they fall), right?

PS This whole business really reminds me of the animals' windmill in Geroge Orwell's 'Animal Farm'

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,195
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission