2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Last night I found a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 listed for sale on craigslist.com. The owner purchased it in 1992 in perfect condition and claimed that it still is. They are asking for $750.

I have a coule of questions and needed all of your experts' advice on whether this is a good price and more importantly is there any big major differences in terms of quality, features, etc. between the ones made in 1992 versus the newer ones today.

Thanks in advance for any informations you can provide.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Guest1013,

Thank you very much for your wonderful advice. I also did had doubt about the age of the piano and would've also only offered $300. You definitely made some great points which I also agree, especially regarding all of the newer features and capabilities of the newer models. I've been looking into them also and will continued to do so.

Thank you once again and have a suuper great day!
smile

We had a 1997 CLP-555. Loved it till it broke down last December. It needed a new mother board, which Yamaha stopped making. So we were unable to have in repaired for a while, the repair man was trying to get the parts elsewhere. In the process , ended up with an acoustic, so it won't happen to us again. I would probably avoid the old digitals. But it is a good place to start:-)

Aloha!
[Linked Image]
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Key Notes,

polostrings makes an excellent point with respect to older digitals: that of parts availability. Most repair facilities and/or repairmen are at best able to replace at the board level and these are frequently not available in older pianos. Also, $300-$400 more puts you in range of a new digital with weighted keys (Roland FP4, Kawai MP3, others) that will surely have more features, better sound and a warranty.

Greg
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks polostrings and Greg! Definitely great points regarding age and repairs of older dps.

I did have doubt when I learned of its age and was just going to offer $300 to see what they'll say, but thought that I should get advice from the experts first.

Since I'm a complete beginner, I know that I have a lot to learn yet so Yeaah for this fantastic forum! Still in the process of reading and researching and feeling very exited and inspired by all of these wonderfully positive posts and informations.

Thanks again.

Key Notes smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission