2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,094 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#702827 02/18/08 03:16 PM
OP Offline
I have read with interest the passion for acoustic pianos and high end digital pianos alike. I respect everyone's opinions and understand that nothing will ever replace the feel and nuances of a real live grand. And this is fine for those who are or have dreams of becoming a true concert pianist or stress over the ability to move from one piano to another with little difficulty.

The reality is that most people have no ambitions of ever becoming a concert pianist and let's face it, most of us have difficulty justifying the cost of a new or even used grand for what we want to do. Especially those just starting out who don't know if they will stick with it a year or two down the road.

The high-end digitals such as the Clavinovas are really great as well, but still pretty pricey. The intermediate and low in digitals are pretty darn good but more of an engineering compromise than their bigger brothers.

So that is how I see it. Passion aside, I think the best bet for me is to go with a PC based system and a good keyboard. I am good with computers and I have several Windows based systems that are more than powerful enough to run what is necessary. I also have a decent speaker and amp system that will fit in nicely.

With that said, what keyboard would you buy today to go with this type of system? I like the FP7 a great deal but it may be more than is necessary for a PC based system. I also like the YPG625 but for a PC based system it has more bells and whistles that are not necessary. Same for the RD700SX. Your thoughts on this part of the question are appreciated.

OK now where I am really ignorant - software. When I search on "midi sequencer software" I get tons of hits. It seams there are dozens if not hundreds of shareware sequencers available and then the commercial ones on top of those. Can someone point me to some reviews or give me their own recommendations for sequencers and then virtual instruments?

Or maybe I should put it this way, if you were to build a new system for a beginner to intermediate user, PC itself aside, how would you equip it as far as keyboard, sound card, and software is concerned?

Casio PX-320, Fabers' Adult Piano Adventures 1
"If you drive faster than I do, you are a maniac. If you drive slower than I do, you are are an idiot."
#702828 02/18/08 03:51 PM
I'll dive in on the keyboard side of the equation; If I were building a dedicated computer based system, I'd go with an upper-end controller keyboard rather than a DP. CME, Novation, StudioLogic, Yamaha, others.

On the software side, I'm a Cubase and Sibelius guy.

This will be an interesting one to watch!

Alden

Alden Skinner
DP Technical Advisor, PianoBuyer Magazine
| VSL Imperial | Pianoteq Pro | Logic Pro |
#702829 02/18/08 07:21 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If I was to take this option, I would use a KAWAI MP8II with a Native Instruments virtual piano.

In terms of PC setup, any Core2 Duo-based system, running with 2gb or ram, running either MacOS X or Windows XP (or both).

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
#702830 02/19/08 02:20 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I have no experience with software pianos,
but they're intriguing, and I've often made
thought experiments of what I would do
to set one up. I would get the least expensive
controller keyboard, that is, one of those
88-key weighted boards that make no sound
and are specifically designed to be used
with a computer. These run around $400-500.
Then I'd get the least expensive virtual
piano, which would be around $150-300.
Then I'd get a custom-built computer online
with the fastest processor and a brobdinagian
amount of RAM, like 4 GB or more. These
can apparently be gotten for around $1000-
1500. I would then dump the Vista operating
system and install an older one like
Windows 98, which will allow the computer
to run like a supercomputer. So, in theory
at least, for as little as $1550 you could
have something that plays like a concert grand.

#702831 02/19/08 04:39 PM
D
D
All you need for a decent software based piano is a good weighted 88-key MIDI controller, a relatively new PC (I'm running an Athlon 3200 with 1GB Ram) with a half decent ASIO soundcard (M-Audio do some excellent cheap ones) and a copy of Truepianos.

Truepianos has very low latency, has very low system requirements and being modelled rather than sampled, is vastly more responsive to differing playing styles. In my opinion it also sounds much better than a sampled piano, but I've yet to try out the higher end ones. Better yet, it's only £70 ($140 or so). You also get 1 years worth of updates. You can download a free trial from their website (45 days, 1 modelled piano, no other limits).

As soon as you go into the realms of high-end sampled pianos you need a hefty amount of RAM and a fast dedicated hard-disk.

Dave

#702832 02/19/08 04:54 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Gyro:
I would then dump the Vista operating
system and install an older one like
Windows 98, which will allow the computer
to run like a supercomputer. So, in theory
at least, for as little as $1550 you could
have something that plays like a concert grand.
Windows98 eek

Stay away, very very far away from 98 in anything modern. Heck, can it even address 4GB RAM or >30GB HD? Either way, going with such an old OS will seriously compromise which software packages you can use not to mention other hardware niceties. XP is the way to go. Though I myself only upgraded to XP about a year or so ago (from Win2K), the increased hardware support in XP is essential to happily operating any modern computer. Or get yourself a nice MacPro (or maxed out iMac Core Duo).

#702833 02/19/08 05:59 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by David C:
Truepianos ... being modelled rather than sampled
It's not entirely modeled, but a combination of sampling and modeling. But it's a nice program indeed. smile

#702834 02/19/08 06:06 PM
T
T
The most important question is application: what are you going to use this piano/system for?

#702835 02/19/08 08:53 PM
-
-
Best program for a real grand is THE GRAND 2, of STEINBERG. It´s really good. Better than most digital pianos and clavinovas. Great engineering. The problem with midi controllers though is the real control. It´s hard to have a good control over the sound. I have an M Audio pro 88 full weighted keyboard controller, but I have few control over it, since the dynamics don´t work right in it.
I need another instrument, but honestly I don´t know whether to get a digi piano or another controller.

#702836 02/20/08 09:12 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by The Pro:
The most important question is application: what are you going to use this piano/system for?
I am an adult beginner as far as the piano is concerned so it will be for learning and practice and just individual and family enjoyment. Later I might try my hand at composing but I doubt it, I am not that musically inclined. I don't plan on working any gigs so portability is not an issue. I have worked in IT for a long time and am currently teaching, so the technical aspects of computer generated music are appealing as well. Besides, all DPs are just computers, anyway, the biggest difference between a DP and a PC based computer system is that a DP doesn't give us access to have access to the heart of the system.

Casio PX-320, Fabers' Adult Piano Adventures 1
"If you drive faster than I do, you are a maniac. If you drive slower than I do, you are are an idiot."
#702837 02/23/08 04:41 PM
What about considering a Roland FP4 as your keyboard? Nice fast action, responsive, and very resonably priced.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission