2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dpark87 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi I am interested in purchasing a new digital piano. I have pretty much narrowed my choice down to the Yamaha YPG-635 and the Casio PX-320. I have had alot of difficulty making a decision between the two and would like some suggestions on which one I should get. I am a college student and this would most likely be used in my apartment. Also does anyone know if Kraftmusic.com does price matches on their products? Thanks alot in advance.

"Talent without application is the greatest sin"
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
they both are decent in that price range. i would say go with the one feels the best under your fingers.

D
dpark87 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
what about the yamaha p-140? I am looking for something with great feel and action but also that will be functional as well. I will be using this for practice as well as for gigs on stage as well

"Talent without application is the greatest sin"
V
V
The YPG-635 and Casio PX-320 are targeted to the same crowd - they compete with similar features and are in the same price range.
Of the 2, I do prefer and I did choose the Casio - and I am happy with it.
The P140 is not in the same price range - it is build to endure being moved, it has a more refined set of piano samples, but not the other features of the previous 2 DPs. Also the action is supposed to be better - it is quieter than the on one the 625 for sure (and I read that the 635 has the same action).
So if you can afford the P140, and want to pay that much - and if you are looking for piano samples mainly, you should be happy with the P140. You have to try by yourself to know for sure though.
If you are not ready to put $1000, or if you want the additional features, the 2 previous DPs offer a lot of DPs for what they cost. Note that both come with an unacceptable cheap plastic pedal that you will replace (for less than $30 if you shop around).
All these DPs are capable to control external sound modules and you can connect them to a computer. That expends their capabilities significantly.
One last comment: if you consider the P-140, it means you do not care for the additional features. You should then consider the PX-120 as well. It is cheaper than the PX-320 and provides the same action. It does not have USB, but has Midi ports. To me the price difference between the PX-120 and 320 was so little ($50 when I was looking for them) that I just went for the 320 and I have no regrets.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if you use it for gigs, you might want to check out CP33 as well, which however needs external amps/speakers but is good for gigs anyway.

T
T
When looking at the similar product class... the YPG-635 has the GHS keyboard.. it's a nice step up from a traditional keyboard, I would say it's a decent piano feel, but not completely true. The p85, 635, and even the mm8 have this keyboard in them.

Now the p140 has the Graded Hammer Effects keyboard. that's a step up from the GHS. You will see this keyboard on the mo8, and Motif lines. It's the truest key and fell I think to a piano that's out there.

So here's my take...

I'm more partial to Yamaha because they have imo better sounds, and nicer keys vs Casio or others. With that said, the 635 will give you free stand, speakers (which I wish were a bit louder but are included), a bunch of quality fun sounds to play, USB connectivity so you can add any sounds or recording using software and you can save your data to a jump drive. It also has nice keys. The p85(although less money) has no usb and just the basic piano sounds. Go with the 635 even as a beginner.

Sam's Club has the 630 (the uk version of the 635 but exactly the same) for 749.00 (free delivery currently) and it includes the 80 dollar bench.

the p85 is just 14 piano sounds with the same keyboard, so get the 635 instead. Remember the 625 DOES NOT have the same GHS keys nor all the sounds that the 635 does (You'll see it cheaper).

If your just looking piano only, the p140 has the nicer truer keys. it also has usb as well(I'm pretty sure)Again your limited to the onboard sounds unless you use software via pc. For the money it's a really nice unit.

If you want both the GHE keys, piano and effects sounds, and you don't want to blow too much money, get the M08 even if your just a piano player. It's a great workstation with a ton of fun Motif sounds, it's really easy to use, and it has the GHE keyboard. I saw it at my local Guitar Center for 1439.00

P
P
Mhmm I thought the PX-200 is better than the older PX-320?

V
V
The PX-200 is older than the PX-320, but not that much older as they share the same action, sound processing and probably some of the samples ...

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission