2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
51 members (accordeur, AndyP, David B, 1957, Bruce In Philly, 36251, computron, 14 invisible), 419 guests, and 383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
new digital
#700735 03/30/08 09:31 AM
T
TonyB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Yesterday, my wife gave me the go-ahead to take advantage of Guitar Center's sale, and I got a new Yamaha Motif XS8 (the 88 key version). Since we have no debt and some decent savings, she seemed fine with the idea. This is not a digital piano in the sense that my P80 is, or at a much higher end, a Clavinova or Roland FP series. But it does have a hammer action and 88 keys and some very nice pianos and half-pedalling.

But it is also a music production workstation with a 16 track sequencer and lots of very nice instruments of all kinds from analog synth sounds to orchestra instruments and everything in between.

One thing that really hooked me is that the Motif XS series runs the Linux operating system, and Yamaha has made all the GPL sources available on the net, as a good Open Source "citizen" would be expected to. Being a software engineer who has worked with embedded Linux for 15 years or so, I find that an added bonus to be able to paw through their code. smile This would not be of interest to most people, so I am not suggesting this is a "plus" that would make any difference for the typical person looking at this type of instrument.

I just finished putting together a very simple setup for working with my Duane Shinn course materials. I have a portable Radio Shack DVD player that is a "clam shell" design so, closed with a DVD playing, it sits very nicely on my music stand. I also have a Walkman-type CD player (the DVD player can play CDs just fine, but I don't want the extra wear and tear on it, since CD players are plentiful and cheap). I run the output of the Motif and the output of either the CD player or DVD player into a small set of Bose
powered speakers, and then I can listen to both at the same time through headphones or the speakers. All of the plugs and wall-warts go into one switchable power strip, so one switch controls it all, and it takes no more room than the Motif and music stand, since the Motif is so big that the speakers and CD player sit on it just fine.

For people who are considering the purchase of a digital piano in the price range approaching these workstations (Yamaha Motif and S series, or Roland
Fantom series), if you are at all interested in playing with music beyond playing piano alone, consider that you can get a very nice 88 key keyboard and very decent piano sounds in these workstations. The Motif XS cost me $2699, so I think that puts it right in the range of a decent Clavinova or FP7 type of digital piano. I am not saying these workstations are better than a dedicated digital piano, but that the compromise for the added musical production capabilities is not as great as one might think. I have been doing midi sequencing and that sort of thing for quite some time, so I have that interest. Now, instead of a pile of gear, I have one workstation that does it all. smile

Tony

Roland V-Grand
Re: new digital
#700736 03/30/08 07:39 PM
Congrats on your new Piano/Workstation/Synth...

“Most people live and die with their music still unplayed. They never dare to try.” -Mary Kay Ash.
#700737 03/31/08 09:55 AM
D
D
I'm familiar with your work station setup. It's very effective!

I use an M-audio keyboard/controller with Cubase software for my projects. It's a personal choice. As a composer, I like to hand-pick sound samples rather than having them ready and available within the keyboard .

Having said that, you have a fun, powerful system. Use it successfully for many years to come.

Daniel E. Friedman, co-owner of www.pianolessons101.com
You CAN learn to play the piano in a fun and positive way.
#700738 03/31/08 02:57 PM
T
TonyB Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
the Recluse and Dan:

Thanks for the followup comments. I appreciate them. I agree with Dan that each person has his or her own ways of working. I will be deciding how much of my current equipment to keep. I have been using my P80 as both my digital piano and as a midi controller for my hardware sequencer and sound modules. The sound module in my MV-30 hardware sequencer is really a programmable synth (as is my TX81Z), and I have owned and used several others over the years (I even had a new Prophet VS keyboard at one time) well before there really were decent pre-packaged sampled sounds work with. All of that was fun, but I suspect that I will be much more efficient with this new keyboard workstation. smile Until I have spent some serious time with it, I really don't want to sell of my old gear. I might regret it if I act too soon.

Tony

Roland V-Grand

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Save my sanity: CLP-785 vs CA-99 vs N1X vs ...
by tofupiano - 10/31/20 06:01 PM
Late '90s Yamaha U1 MSRP/SMP?
by re22 - 10/31/20 06:01 PM
Piano tariffs in the US?
by Sweelinck - 10/31/20 05:11 PM
Kawai Novus NV5 'loud note' problem
by John Dean - 10/31/20 03:54 PM
Beethoven and Bechstein
by OE1FEU - 10/31/20 03:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,515
Posts3,019,259
Members99,090
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission