2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I am looking to purchase a digital piano for my 8 yr old daughter and possibly her 4 younger siblings. She is starting her 3rd yr of lessons. I would like to get something that is as close as possible to an acoustic piano (within budget). I've been reading reviews and we looked at the Yamaha CLP line of digital pianos this weekend. From what I read the CLP-280 is about the closest thing to the feel and sound of a real piano that is close to our budget. I am not a piano player and couldn't really tell the difference between the CLP-270 and CLP-280. My daughter is not advanced enough to detect a difference YET either. My concern is that she will be able to detect the difference as she advances. But I’m still not sure if it’s worth the extra $500-600 dollars? We are already a little over budget with the CLP-270 and the CLP-280 would put us more over budget. However I don’t want to regret getting the 270 when/if my daughter becomes limited by the feel of the 270. Does anyone who plays piano see this as a problem? Also I would like to make sure I am getting a decent price. Does anyone know or have information on the price ranges of these models in US dollars? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Piano Dad,

The ONLY difference between the 270 and the 280 is the keyboard itself. While the GH3 keyboard on the 270 is very close to the touch and feel of a real acoustic piano, the 280 keyboard offers Yamaha's newest "wood action" which, in my mind, gets you closest to a genuine acoustic piano feel. Whether it's physical or mental, it sure feels like a real piano to me!

But it is up to you to decide if it's worth the additional money!

The retail average of the CLP 280 is in the $4500 price range if memory serves me correctly (in rosewood, not polished ebony)!

Retired Industry Professional
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i'd go for CLP270, if i were you. 'wood action' (white key only) doesn't really matter, especially for not so advanced pianists.

R
R
the only diference beetween them is that the 280 has wooden white keys while the 270 doesn't there is no diference in the action /sound of either but the feeling may be diferent due to the wood (at least i'm fairly sure that's the only diference but i'd still wait on someone else to confirm this)

i don't know us prices for us but prices i can find online for EU & UK are (for the cheapest versions since price depend on the finish) 2640€/notfound 1920£/2480£ note that i didn't bother looking for best prices or anything but it should be a good measure since those are online prices (so they are the real selling price & not the msrp or something similar)

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you all. I should be making my decision and ordering one this week. Again thanks for your help!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission