2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
sun4384 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello.
I'm about to get a new digital piano, and my wife agreed to spend $2000 plus alpha for that.
I would really appreciate your advice and opinions. The situation is:

I'm a total beginner, but full of willingness to learn. I have been playing with a yamaha synthesizer for some time. My wife once played, but not for over decades. My son will start to learn sometime next year Fall. So, probably I'll be the major user, and next my son, and then my wife.

My wife has very low confidence in buying a digital one, but persuaded by me. She insists on getting something that LOOKS like a piano. So something like Yamaha PF500 is out of consideration. She thinks Yamaha N100 might be a good choice.

I think the key action is the most important thing to consider as a learner (GH3 or PHA 2?). The sound may not be the most important factor because I will use Ivory (it shouldn't be neglected though). I don't care at all about the extra features like different instrument sounds, song playing, etc. But I might value recording feature (esp. to the USB or SD memory).

In short, what the title says. DP with very good key action and piano-like look at $2000+ ?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
you might want to check out CLP240 (GH3), but it cost around $2400 more or less. $2000 range for a good Yamaha would include CP300, but it's a stage piano you don't want.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Also check Rolands they have higher polyphony
(128)vs 64 for the yamaha..I agree with the wife
problem is all the cabinets I've seen look rinky dink..it be nice if some manufacture took old spinet cabinets..and made it so you can put your digital keyoard in it and presto! you have the best of both worlds nice cabinet and new DP..but I only saw this done on grands..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Does your wife know you're planning on having a PC hooked up to your piano?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What Eternal said!!

It's tough to make a DP hooked to a pc look "pretty".

And if you have a family it's tough to fight them off so you can use the PC for piano practice.

May the force be with ya laugh

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Eternal:
Does your wife know you're planning on having a PC hooked up to your piano?
I think this should be one of those "don't ask, don't tell" situations. laugh

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm not saying this is a good piano by any stretch
of the imagination...but the cabinet is nice and it looks like an old style upright

http://www.amazon.com/Suzuki-Vg-17-Spinet-Digital-Mahogany/dp/B000HZJMGG

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Action is probably the Kawai MP8 with wooden keys, but they are not the fastest actions.

Best sound is Roland RD-700SX.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
H
H
Hey, Sun- I was in the market for a new DP this last few months and tried out quite a few. (I ended up with the Roland FP7, as portability was one of my requirements). While I was out there, I came across the Yamaha "Nocturne" (I think). Nice sound, nice action, and a BEAUTIFUL looking instrument. Don't know about USB or anything, didn't spend too much time with that DP due to it's limited portability. Anyway, for sound, feel and looks, I was very impressed. Just my $.02. Good luck.

S
sun4384 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you very much for all the answers! I really appreciate. Yes, my wife knows that I'll hook up a computer, but I can make it neat and tidy. (probably using a wooden/aluminum case?)

BTW, if you want a computer for a DP, check out www.silentpcreview.com to get all the skills needed to make a PC near silent (undervolting, underclocking, fan-speed control, choice of less noisy components - esp. fans and hdds, ...)

D
D
the thing is for great performance from a software setup you need a relatively high spec machine so underclocking etc... may lead to poorer performance. Just something to consider.

S
sun4384 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Right. Underclocking is only needed for higher-end CPUs in case of PC4DP. Undervolting is probably more necessary.

BTW, I'll probably have to check out the stores and try DPs. Alas, the problem is I don't have any knowledge to judge good and bad ones. (Last week I tried Yamaha DGX620. What I felt was the keys are kind like spongy.)

T
T
Originally posted by signa:
$2000 range for a good Yamaha would include CP300, but it's a stage piano you don't want.
Well you may not want it because it's black instead of woodtone but that's the only reason. Actually the CP300 is the best of both worlds in terms of professional features/controller functions that pros use and built-in speakers that home users like. It has great action and sound, and it has a nice broad top area that allows you to place things like a computer monitor/keyboard/mouse or scores etc. It also has line-in jacks so if you're planning on using Ivory then the sound form the computer can be routed back into the CP300 speakers. I researched the market pretty carefully before buying my CP300 and have no regrets over it at all.

S
sun4384 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I may have hard time persuading my wife into getting CP300, but I'll try (I actually was thinking of PF500). In fact, your point with "also has line-in jacks" is an important factor to consider. Thank you for enlightening me.

BTW, from your statement, can I assume GH keyboard is as good as GH3, in terms of mechanical touch and feel?

T
T
Originally posted by sun4384:

BTW, from your statement, can I assume GH keyboard is as good as GH3, in terms of mechanical touch and feel?
Sorry, unlike some people I don't have the luxury of being able to try out all the different types of actions and comment on how they compare...

...but I can tell you this: I loved the CP300's action and feel and have become very used to it. Earlier today a close friend and lifelong pianist tried out my CP300, and when she hit her first chord she yelled "IT'S ALIVE!". What surprised her was the resonance of the speakers through the keys - it's an incredible feel that goes beyond the action alone. If you turn off the CP300's speakers then the keybed feels like any other digital keyboard (a little lifeless) but turn on the speakers and the difference is immediate. FWIW, she thought the CP300 action was wonderful and offered good resistance and playability... but the sound vibration through the keys, which real grand pianos have, was completely unexpected. Perhaps some of the home digital pianos also have resonating keys but the CP300 has the most powerful internal speakers of any stage piano and that makes quite a difference in key-feel realism.

R
R
For what it's worth, I found the vibrations in the P250's keys (the CP300's predecessor) did indeed add a lot to the playing feel of the DP. The flip side to that, though, is I think the vibes come through because of the heavy, HEAVY case.

However, I listen through headphones and still leave the speakers on, because the feel of those vibrations significantly enhances the illusion of playing a piano.

S
S
If you want a grand-piano look:
GEM GRP 800, if upright look: GEM RP 800
RP 800 is cheaper than $2000,
but it still sounds better than Ivory, no kidding.
BTW, it has Steinway D and Fazioli 308, the same instruments are also in Ivory (Fazioli - an addon), so, hopefully you can compare yourself.
My problem with Ivory is that it does not sound live enough, no sympathetic string resonance, etc.

S
sun4384 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I today went out and tried many DPs with my wife. Sadly, my wife felt that DPs are a lot different from acoustic ones in terms of key feeling. Actually I had to agree though I'm just a total novice. There was no feeling of "hitting" something, instead pressing something.

Well, now she doesn't care whatever I get b/c it will be just for me, but the budget is slashed down to $1000+ something... Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Personally I liked the action of RD-700SX, but it's now over my price limit... Sad...

no sympathetic string resonance, etc.
There is a soundboard resonance feature, but its defaulted off (clean).

I'm not sure how many piano synths are going to give true resonance, or even come close to it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission