Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
77 registered members (Bill McKaig,RPT, Beowulf, AlphaBravoCharlie, Antihero, 36251, anotherscott, Animisha, barbaram, 18 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695302
12/11/07 12:14 PM
12/11/07 12:14 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Nina Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
Nina  Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, AZ
My kids' school is considering buying a digital piano--their Hamilton is pretty beat up.

This is a piano they will use for all classes, rehearsals, and performances.

Is a digital piano a reasonable alternative to a "real" piano (sorry, digital enthusiasts). (Maybe "traditional" piano would have been better wink ).

Which are the brand(s) you recommend? It must play like a piano, looks are way down the list.

Thanks!

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695303
12/11/07 01:00 PM
12/11/07 01:00 PM
Central Texas
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
epf  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Central Texas
The first question I have is who will be playing the piano? Will this be the students or the teachers? Depending on the answer to that question my recommendations will vary.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
Re: Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695304
12/11/07 01:06 PM
12/11/07 01:06 PM
Ohio, USA
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member
signa  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Ohio, USA
if it's going to be also for performance, you might want to get a Yamaha CLP270/280 which has iFAC to adjust to room acoustic.

Re: Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695305
12/11/07 07:24 PM
12/11/07 07:24 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Nina, as epf notes, the player(s) of the digital piano in question will have a considerable bearing on the suitability of each instrument.

Yamaha, Roland, KAWAI and Casio all produce very good digital pianos, ranging in price and functionality.

However, assuming that the instrument is intended to be played by a teacher (i.e. it will not be subjected to the pressures of groups of children pounding away at the keys), and that price is not a consideration, I would recommend auditioning the flagship models from Yamaha, Roland and KAWAI.

PDF brochures for each product can be downloaded from the following websites:

Yamaha CLP270/280:
http://www.minimpianos.co.uk/pdfs/CLP220_280brochure.pdf

Roland HP-207:
http://www.rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/Downloads/2080/hp_series_brochure.pdf

KAWAI CA91:
http://www.kawai.de/service/ca_catalog.pdf

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695306
12/11/07 08:39 PM
12/11/07 08:39 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Nina Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
Nina  Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the links, folks! I will check them all out.

In answer to your question, the piano will be played by me, the choir director, another music teacher and (very) occasionally by some advanced piano students who will be accompanying people.

I am a bit worried, though, because just between you and I, the choir director really POUNDS the keys. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid, though. I guess the bottom line is that it needs to be able to stand up to a lot of playing, including some *forceful* playing. smile

I'm a real newbie in the digital piano world. When you buy a decent one, do you have to buy accessories for it? I've heard people say you need to add a sostenuto pedal, you need to buy a stand, it will need an amplifier/speakers in order to be heard, etc. Is that right?

Or (if you're getting sick of my basic questions) if any of you know of a good website where I can read up on things, just sic me on that. The dealer sites seem to assume that you already kind of know what you're looking for.

Thanks! smile

Re: Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695307
12/11/07 09:44 PM
12/11/07 09:44 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Nina Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
Nina  Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, AZ
Yamaha\'s internet warning

This is from the Yamaha website. I don't know why, but it cracked me up. It's how to tell if you've purchased an unauthorized Yamaha from an internet retailer. Here's the snippet (in bold) that made me giggle:

Unauthorized instruments can be identified by any of the following:
Has an ADAPTER on the Power Cord (see Figure 1 to the right)
Has an altered Serial Number either on the back of the instrument (or under the keyboard)
Had the Serial Number removed from the shipping box
Does not have a UL mark on the Serial Number plate (see Figure 2 to the right)
Does not have an FCC mark on the Serial Number plate (see Figure 3 to the right; mark is usually WITHOUT the words in the outer circle)
Has Coffee, Candy or other consumables in the box
Has a copy of the Torah, the Bible or other religious material in the box

Has “Church Supply Gift” markings on the outside of the box.
Was shipped to you in its original carton (not delivered by a local dealer)

Re: Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695308
12/11/07 10:13 PM
12/11/07 10:13 PM
Central Texas
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
epf  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Central Texas
Originally posted by Nina:
[QB] Thanks for the links, folks! I will check them all out.

In answer to your question, the piano will be played by me, the choir director, another music teacher and (very) occasionally by some advanced piano students who will be accompanying people.

I am a bit worried, though, because just between you and I, the choir director really POUNDS the keys. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid, though. I guess the bottom line is that it needs to be able to stand up to a lot of playing, including some *forceful* playing. smile
Well, most of the digital pianos that we would recommend will tolerate that level of play...

I'm a real newbie in the digital piano world. When you buy a decent one, do you have to buy accessories for it? I've heard people say you need to add a sostenuto pedal, you need to buy a stand, it will need an amplifier/speakers in order to be heard, etc. Is that right?
That depends on which piano you buy. Some come with three pedals, some with none, some come with a stand, some come without, I think all the ones that would be recommended here come with speakers.

The minimum I would recommend is what I play: a Casio Privia PX-800 (retail is $1,000 but can be purchased for around $700-$800). It includes three pedals and has a console type piano (that is, the stand is an integral part of the piano).

Next would be any of the Yamaha Clavinova pianos (either the CLP or CVP series). They all come with stands.

Finally I would recommend any of the Kawai CN series pianos. They also come with a stand, three pedals and speakers.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
Re: Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695309
12/12/07 06:55 AM
12/12/07 06:55 AM
NJ, USA
V
vladn Offline
vladn  Offline
V

NJ, USA
Take a look at Kawai CE200 - it has wooden keys and very simple mechanics that should stand abuse pretty well. It has the the same keyboard action as their higher end CA line but less features (which you likely would not need in a school environment). Then add a pair of powered monitor speakers of your choice since internal speakers/amp would definitely not be enough for a school hall. You will have a very nice setup for around $2k.

Re: Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695310
12/12/07 10:36 AM
12/12/07 10:36 AM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
I've taught in a few college class piano labs as part of my job. These instruments see roughly 800 hours of moderate use over the course of a year. Repairs to the newer keyboards are nonexistent. (factory-supplied headsets are another matter) One lab I used has twenty 17 year-old digitals, and these are finally breaking down, little by little, mostly in the action and electrical connections. It has become enough of a nuisance that replacement is required, or a repair technician needs to be on staff.

Someone who "pounds" on the keys is going to cause damage to a digital or an acoustic piano. I've seen it happen both ways firsthand. Perhaps cranking up the volume on the digital enough will encourage that person to play less aggressively... but I doubt it! wink

My good experience with durable digitals has been exclusively with better Roland and Yamaha models. I've played a few Casios and want to try the Kawais, but have no firsthand knowledge of how they hold up under institutional use. I tried a new Roland HP203 the other day and liked it quite a bit for practice and rehearsal purposes.

If your budget allowed for $5000+ and a couple of tunings a year, I'd opt for a new upright from one of the more established japanese makers for your purposes. Under that amount, digital is the way to go in my opinion. (put either on a dolly if it's going to get moved, some casters on uprights are flimsy and legs on some digitals are not attached so sturdily) My only reservation about digital would be the somewhat noticeable and "artificial" sound quality they have when I hear them used in live performance (instead of their acoustic bretheren). Hope this helps.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695311
12/12/07 12:52 PM
12/12/07 12:52 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Nina Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
Nina  Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, AZ
This is all great advice, people. Thanks again.

I think $5K would be the absolute tops for a budget, and I might be overly optimistic even then. (I will try to avoid commenting about how much money is spent every year on their basketball program.... :t: )

As for sound differences, while I appreciate what everyone is saying, and tend to agree with it, the reality is that our current upright sounds horrible (key clicks, sostenuto pedal that doesn't "catch" the full keyboard, etc.). All of this could, of course, be repaired. But at some point the frequency and necessity of repairs becomes its own problem.

The chorus had to perform to a CD accompaniment we "produced" at the last minute. We're desperate.

Re: Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695312
12/12/07 04:46 PM
12/12/07 04:46 PM
San Francisco
F
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member
FogVilleLad  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
F

San Francisco
Seconding terminaldegree's recommendations, except that my experience is limited to Yamahas, whose actions are sturdy.

Re adding a pedal, it'd be best to focus on "home" digitals. Those have three pedals built into their cabinets.

Re adding speakers, digitals' woofers are usually too small for really good reproduction of the lowest notes. A set of powered speakers with a woofer that's at least 8 1/2" - 10" would be best - will definitely help.

With acoustics, you'll get the most musical bang for the buck with a "studio" size - 48".

A one- to three-year-old acoustic is the best value, because the first owner will have born the initial depreciation. On the acoustic forum we recommend using the List Prices in Larry Fine's "The Annual Supplement To The Piano Book" as the basis for beginning negotiation. The goal is to get a 30% reduction from the list price. Twenty-five percent is still good. If you shop for a piano that had been owned for one year, you should be able to get 40% off the list price, from a private seller and at least 30% from a dealer. You can get downloadable PDF copy of the most recent supplement by clicking on this link.

Pianos have different tones. For example, Yamahas will "cut thru a mix" as we say in the digital world - good for choral work but IMO less so for soloing - but their tones begin bright and get brighter. Samick's Knabe will have more mellow tone - which your ears may or may not like - but still have good power.

You might want to just use the Yellow Pages and Google, to locate piano stores in your area. Audition as many as are within convenient driving distance and let the reps know that you're open to buying lightly used. Keep your eye on Craigslist and the local throwaways. Get the folks who'll be using the piano to pitch in with the search.

Impatience is your enemy. If you have to continue using the Hamilton for now, it'll be worth it for the benefit of getting a piano that your kids' school will be able to use for a decade.

Re: Digital piano recommendations for school--heavily used? #695313
12/13/07 02:00 PM
12/13/07 02:00 PM
NJ, USA
V
vladn Offline
vladn  Offline
V

NJ, USA
If you are under tight budget an need something quick get this:
http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/digitalpianos/homepianos/index.asp?product=5669
and this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/321816-REG/Behringer_TRUTH_B2031A_B2031A_Active_2_Way.html
You may also need some wires / adaptors that you can get in any local music shop.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key up velocity and key up position
by KevinM. 11/22/19 07:18 AM
Yamaha P-515 with subwoofer
by Boboulus. 11/22/19 02:55 AM
Cliburn 2020 Information and Alerts
by SiFi. 11/22/19 01:20 AM
Cliburn 2000 Alerts and Info
by SiFi. 11/22/19 12:54 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,251
Posts2,893,697
Members95,037
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission