2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone with a HP207 or with a Roland digital piano utilising PHA II Ivory-like action experienced the surface of the white keys to loose flaky bits, similar to dandruff, almost white dust?
... most likely caused by the thumb nails; these hit the keys in an angle, where a hard finger nail could damage the key top.

I am interested in HP207 responses, but assume the PHA II action with ivory keytops is the same across the models.

You may not have noticed the "roughened" keytops, but these can be made clearly visible with a horizonal beam of a flashlight is held parallel to the keyboard shining over the keys.

[Linked Image]

(Click for bigger picture)

Any feedback appreciated!
Feel free to send my a sticky.

This is not about bashing the product; it is about getting some stats on this issue (if it exists elsewhere).

Thanks and kind regards,
Max

"Happiness is a matter of traveling, not a destination to arrive at!"

Music makes me happy: www.max.grenkowitz.net/
I almost asked about this last week, when I noticed an RD-700GX display unit in G.C. having the same problem. Not the same model, but thye both have the escapement PHA II with ivory feel. I'd also like to hear how many others have seen it.

W
W
Take a look at THIS thread from another forum. Others are experiencing similar problems. This thread is about the RD700GX pro digital piano but it uses the same keybed as your instrument.

Dave

T
T
This really puts a damper on things.. 2 fruitless months of searching that i thought would end soon.

may have to start all over again.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Trim your nails, perhaps? That's the simplest solution I can think of. :p

Les C Deal

W
W
As I mentioned in a post on the thread I supplied the link to above, I was told by a Roland customer service rep that the problem is known and was isolated to the first units shipped. Could be that the RD700GX on GC's floor has been there a while. "?" Could be that the HP207 was one from one of those initial shipments to the U.S. "?" I know I have one of the first RD700GX's that was shipped to my area.

Just don't let a few isolated situations sway your opinion of a nice instrument.

Just sayin'

T
T
Yes very true,, thanks WDMcM.

This ongoing journey is just wonderful, even though i still dont have a piano...(just a broken keyboard),

All these discussions and topics help me keep aware of things and the more that i learn and know.
will inevitability (i hope) lead me to finding an instrument that i will be happy with for a long time.

megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all so far, and keep it coming!

As I elluded to before: this is not about bashing the product or brand. I am very happy with my HP207 I bought on November 28, 2008 (just to clairify: in Australia).

I am happy with the HP207, the 5 year warranty (need to check on that), and the immediate attention the local Roland sales person gave this case. The latter came visitng, had a look, took some photos with the intent to send these to Roland Japan for further assessment / advice.

Roland has a remarkable quality control program; they are innovators, they try new approaches, and new materials... no matter how good we all want to be, nothing is ever perfect.

I am now aware that the PHAII action has been on the market for 3 years. What I am experiencing could be (but doesn't look like) an isolated problem... or only a specific production date / series is affected.

The reason for the post is to gather stats, even send me your serial numbers (can be sticky / personal e-mail) which I will collect and forward to Roland for their assessment.

On a side note: my finger nails are cut, more than they should be. smile I also wash my hands before playing the piano. My hands / fingers do not sweat either when playing.

I would appreciate any response from people who experience the same issue; thanks!

I have also compiled my own web page around this topic Roland HP207: Keytops having Dandruff? , which will also be updated in due course... or as the story unfolds.

Again, thank you kindly for your collaboration so far.

Cheers, Max

The one I saw at G.C. was far worse than that, noticed immediately because very large flakes had come off. But at least Roland's taking care of it for you. And good points about cutting fingernails & clean hands B.T.W. No telling how the one in G.C. had been treated in that regard.

megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
Tawny, same here, I am with WDMcM ... if you found the Roland HP207 to be your preference: GO FOR IT smile
I see this problem as an odd occurrence... and there is always warranty that covers these sorts of things.

I can only confirm the good stuff written about the HP207; it is value for money and truely a great instrument.

I've been having the same problem with my RD700GX from about three months from pruchase. See this link: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/25346.html
And this one:
http://www.fastonkeys.com/studio/new-roland-rd700gx/comment-page-1/
And this one for the photo's!
http://www.romanviii.co.uk/bp/activefolder.asp?pcat=rolandrd700gx_keywear
Based on what's said here, it seems Roland UK are a bit slow to catch up with the problem! Yes I have seen the same thing on the HP207e. The issue with the dust and flakes is exactly my experience too. Having played keyboards for the best part of 35 years on many, many keyboards, I've not come across this problem before!
I'm just hoping Roland really do have a solution.
Steve

Piano Journey: 1930's Upright> Rhodes Mk2 73> Wurly EP200> Gebauhr 1905 6' Grand> Yamaha P250> Roland RD700SX,RD700GX> Nord Stage 2 HA88> Roland RD800> CASIO PX5s & Kurzweil Forte & Kawai MP7SE> Kronos 2 61, Roland RD2000
E
E
I was about to start a thread on exactly this subject, then noticed others have had the same problem.

Yes, as much as I love the action and sound of my HP-207, I do NOT like the fact that the keys in the center of the keyboard have been showing signs of wear (beginning less than a year after purchase). I don't like the feel of their new rougher texture, relative to the less-used keys.

Update: Roland has agreed to cover parts for replacement (I've had my HP-207 ~16 months). For me, the surface texture - so far at least - is a relatively minor issue compared to the other things that set DP brands/models apart. I'll keep you posted.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The Kawai defects would seem preferable as they show up acutely, early in the ownership cycle facilitating exchange or repair. It will be interesting to see how Roland handles this and if the glowing reports on Roland remain so glowing.

megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmm, so far we have some 10 people complaining about the key top wear...
... be it RD700 or HP207.

Thats' good. Seems to occur hardly ever?!

Otherwise, please keep adding!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by megrenk:
Hmm, so far we have some 10 people complaining about the key top wear...
... be it RD700 or HP207.

Thats' good. Seems to occur hardly ever?!

Otherwise, please keep adding!
LOL. Something tells me they don't teach Statistics down under...

megrenk Offline OP
OP Offline
smile theJourney, good one...

Firstly, I do not know the production figures, as in what leaves the factory and is sold.

Secondly, who is reading this forum or other links and actually puts their experience up on the board.

Thirdly, see my comment as a polemic one. Since we have at least ten issues, they are just too many when talking six Sigma.
... also enocuraging others to come forward.

... and I am an Aussie, who used to be a German ;-)

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Sorry to hear the bad new about these Rolands.

I suppose there's now ONE good thing to say about the Williams ... no dandruff has been reported! smile

The vertical market that the internet provides is utterly brilliant. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to these threads.
Some good news! After some prodding, Roland UK has told me that Roland (Japan) has developed an improved key top surface which should solve the wear problem. It is apparently just going into production now. They have arranged to replace my key assy. with one of these once they are available in the UK. This is all FOC. As a performer it doesn't solve what I'll do when the piano is in the repair facility but that's tomorrow's problem. At least there is a light on the horizon.

It is supprising that at least 16 months (from the feedback I've had from others) have gone by during which time plenty of RD700GXs and HP207s must have been sold and Roland have only now faced the problem. I wonder how many people have been let down by this? After all fake ivory isn't a new invention for piano keys is it?

Piano Journey: 1930's Upright> Rhodes Mk2 73> Wurly EP200> Gebauhr 1905 6' Grand> Yamaha P250> Roland RD700SX,RD700GX> Nord Stage 2 HA88> Roland RD800> CASIO PX5s & Kurzweil Forte & Kawai MP7SE> Kronos 2 61, Roland RD2000
B
BK1 Offline
B
I'm wondering how widespread this problem is. I am considering an HP-207 if my dealer is willing to negotiate price (I was quoted $3990 and based on these forums, I shouldn't pay a penny more than $3200). However, I am concerned about the wear described in this thread. I am a relatively experienced pianist who enjoys playing music from the likes of Rachmanninof and Liszt, so any DP I buy will take an occasional beating and I need something reasonably durable. My fingernails are short, though, maybe that helps.

Anyone else have any reports -- negative or positive -- of HP-207 keyboard wear? Do the simulated ivory tops on the Yamahas have the same issue? Any piano I may buy will have been sitting in the dealer's warehouse for a while, so if this is a real problem with the HP-207, then a recent change in manufacturing technique from Roland is unlikely to help me.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I'm surprised that so many people have had problems with this. My HP-207 get used every day and hasn't shown any noticeable wear in about 6 months. More to the point, the demos units in the big department stores were I shop (e.g. BIC Camera in Ginza) also show no significant wear or flaking despite abuse that's likely to be greater than any home.

Maybe the units in Japan just missed this problem somehow, but I think they're the same everywhere (the US units even have a Japanese language display option--really).

If you like the HP-207, I would go ahead and get one and not worry too much about this issue. I really think it's being overblown here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission