2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
fade Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hello,

I'm mainly looking to buy a piano that could somewhat resemble the real piano, since this is for my mother. And she used to play a real piano. So it should atleast have as much keys (I believe 88?) and keys shouldn't be too much lighter or whatever. A recommendation from someone who has played both a real piano and electronic piano would be great. Also, it should have a good training program, like you know when the keys light up and shows you how to play. So I'm guessing I should have 88 keys no less, so it feels same as real piano?

I'm posting because I don't know the first thing about pianos, I play a guitar..

I'm looking to spend somewhere in the $400 range, but if neccesary I'll put in some more cash.

Thank you,
Fade.

CURRENTLY CONSIDERING THE YAMAHA DGX-505

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,6373,CNTID%253D28150%2526CTID%253D205200,00.html#

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
unfortunately, DGX505 is not a real digital piano except it does have 88 keys. it's just an electoronic keyboard without weighted keys. any piano (digital/acoustic) has a keyboard with weighted keys which causes totally different key feel from the one such as DGX505. an acoustic piano's keyboard has strings/hammers attached to its keys which give natural feeling of weight, while a digital's simulate such a feel.

i guess in your price range you could get a Casio PX100 which is at least a digital piano and has weighted keyboard. the polyphony of it is 32 but it might be enough for your mother to play without problem if she is not a very advanced pianist.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Casio PX100 is the chepeast I've seen, $499. The PX300 (which I just ordered and has a few more bells and whistles), is $599. There's also a PX400 which is more.

I tried the 100 and 300 at Guitar Center. Basically, it's a decent digital piano for the money. However, you need to weigh your (or your mother's) needs. The Casios may not suffice for many people.

I had also tried a Yamaha DGX something before I decided to go for a digital piano. Like signa said, it's not going to feel like a piano. However, I was actually fairly impressed. The keys were heavier than I expected and the keyboard, overall, did not feel like a toy, which I sort of expected. But, again, it's not a digital piano, if that's what you're looking for.

markb--The Count of Casio

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission