2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#691650 03/03/07 07:00 PM
G
OP Offline
G
My wife and I purchased a Clavinova CLP-611 back in 1998, for $2800.

Our daughter, now seven is progressing very nicely at Piano, and last week her instructor recommended we consider getting her a real Acoustic Piano.

Our dealer had "promised" a 100% trade up policy...but I think we both forgot that it was within the first 5 years. Now, ten years later they are giving us $1400 credit towards an acoustic Piano.

Is that reasonable for a CLP-611? I know digital technology has come along way in 9 years, but I also know that things get cheaper construction too. Our 611 is a well built console digi-piano. In excellent shape.

We are planning to execute the purchase (Acoustic questions in the Piano forum) on Sunday...so any immediate feedback would be appreciated.

For those familiar, we'd be trading it in for Kawai K3, in Polished Mohagony. With trade in, its going to cost us ~$4800.

Thanks in advance

#691651 03/04/07 06:58 AM
V
V
I must say that, if I were shopping for a DP, I'd never pay $1400 for your CLP-611 regardless of shape. I'd say it's at least a fair offer. BUT,
are you sure you're getting a good deal on the acoustic? The dealer may be pulling a fast one on you with the "trade" numbers. Personally I have no clue how much the Kawai K3 is worth, but having been to a piano dealer I'd be very cautious. The reason I say this is because, I don't think they'll be able to make ANY profit on the CLP-611.

Kawai MP8
Lots of other stuff
#691652 03/04/07 11:31 AM
G
OP Offline
G
How to know, Vitog?

Prices for pianos see, very guarded by dealers. I believe Suggested Retail for it is $8500, and their sale price is $5895.

Take the $1400 off, and I'm getting it for $4500 + tax.

Is that a good deal for Kawai K-3 in polished Mohagony? I'm not having any luck on the Acoustic Forum...

#691653 03/04/07 12:59 PM
V
V
The problem is - you don't know ... until at least you either, try a different dealer or attempt a really hard bargain with the current one.

All I said was that, your CLP is behind times enough that few would consider buying it at that price, because there are better DPs available at similar price point NEW. Given the car salesman approach from ANY piano dealer, it is (to me) unlikely you're a getting a fair deal simply because, I do not believe a piano dealer would want to sell you another piano, by taking a (neutral at best) load on your old one. To put it another way, the acoustic K3 can probably be had for less. These are all assumptions based on documented facts that, piano dealers DO NOT sell pianos at their cost or for a $50 dollar profit (contrary of course, to what they would have you believe).

To give you an idea, my local piano dealer has a DP Casio AP45 that sells on-line for $1000. Their SALE price is $1695. Same (or worse) with many other pianos I could confirm prices on.

At worst I'd try an offer of $4000 + tax with the trade and see if that takes you anywhere. I don't know if that's fair either, but at least it might save you a few.

Kawai MP8
Lots of other stuff

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission