2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
OP Offline
Y
What is the best way to do this? I am a little bit confused on the issue. I know I have to buy a USB type B cable, but once I connect that, what do I have to do? The CD the keyboard came with doesn't contain any executable files other than an SMF converter (btw, what does this do?).

Sorry if I am missing something really simple. Is there a program I am supposed to use or something? It is described very vaguely in the instructions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yanksrule56, I would recommend you visit fellow PianoWorld forum member Mahlzeit's excellent website. It explains the process of recording both MIDI and audio from a digital piano to a computer, and should answer most of your queries.

http://www.pianoclues.com/how-to-record-piano/

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Y
OP Offline
Y
Thank you so much, this really cleared up all of my questions.

Originally posted by Yanksrule56:
What is the best way to do this? I am a little bit confused on the issue. I know I have to buy a USB type B cable, but once I connect that, what do I have to do? The CD the keyboard came with doesn't contain any executable files other than an SMF converter (btw, what does this do?).

Once you connect the USB MIDI cable (Type B):

1) Turn on the PX-320
2) Windows XP will detect the new USB device
3) Windows XP will ask for the driver
4) Let windows search for the driver (recommended)
4) Insert Casio CD (that came with the PX-320) which contains the drivers and SMF converter etc.
5) Click 'NEXT'...wait until windows find the Casio USB-MIDI driver and flashes USB MIDI device "ready to use" or "finished installation" or similar message.
6) From this point on, you can now use the PX-320 with any AUDIO-MIDI sequencer program available in the market or as a "controller" for any VSTI (i.e. Virtual instrument like software piano samples).

As for the SMF Converter...

> Casio PX-320 has a recorder function. Any music that you record using the built-in track-recorder would be in Casio proprietary format file. You can use the SMF converter to convert this "saved Casio music file" to Standard MIDI File Format O (i.e. SMF 0) which can be recognized and played through other MIDI-compatible devices (e.g: another MIDI-compatible Digital Piano or MIDI-compatible keyboard).

> Alternatively, you can also save your performance/music-playing via SD-card instead of using the internal song memory bank.

PX-5S FA-06 LaunchKey 61 SL-MKII Graphite 49; VST: Pianoteq 6+Bluethner UVI TrueKeys EWQL-SO + Hollywood Strings/Brass, AAS GS-2+LL EP4 Sonokinetic; Mobile DAW ROG G751J: i7 4720 32GB RAM 250+500 GB SSD Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiQst_xQwNgKL_FS9OXSKw
Y
OP Offline
Y
Ya the SD card works well, as I don't have a USB type B cable yet. The PX320 can save the file in MIDI form to the SD card, which I can just bring to my computer and use to transfer songs.

When I get the USB I will probably use that, but the SD card is good enough for now smile

K
K
i want 2 use my px320 as a midi controller on my pc.but the problem is my pc cannot detect the px320 and it cannot install the midi driver.im using windows 7 and i dont have any idea how to install the usb midi driver to my pc.i hope anyone could help me with this.....

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Killpeople,
Your PX-320 should have come with a disc that has a driver for the built in USB MIDI. All you need to do is get a USB cable and plug one end in the piano and the other to a computer USB port. The Operating System will recognize the device as unknown and prompt for the driver. Simply choose to search automatically and when it does not find it choose I will install the driver to use. Direct it to the CD drive and have it install from there. Once it does, you will be able to use whatever DAW you want to record or play back MIDI. I just got my PX-575 loaded in Windows Vista (32 bit only supported) using an updated driver from the Casio Music site (Yes, I actually got it to work in Vista without editing the registry). If you lost your disc, you can go there to get the driver. You can get there from Casio's main site by clicking the Support link and software downloads. Find Musical Instruments Link and then the driver. I'm currently trying out Sony Acid 7 as I am new to DAW, Visti's, and MIDI.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Killpeople,
Was wondering if you were able to get your computer to recognize your PX-320 and install the driver. Actually as I reread your post, I did have the same issue at first. The piano was showing up as an unknown device in USB devices within device manager. There were three unknown devices showing up which I deleted. I tried unplugging and then replugging the piano and nothing would happen. The computer would not pick up the new hardware. I actually ran out of time to do any more, but a few days later, I tried again and this time when I plugged in the cable, the computer found new hardware message came up. I then directed it to install the software automatically. It never found a driver so then I was able to select I will choose the driver to install and directed it to a folder on my desktop which it loaded (looks like the same driver that worked in XP). Afterward I could see the device in device manager and was able to launch Acid 7 and use my PX 575 as a midi controller. Hope this helps.

K
K
thanx galaxy4t,will try when i got home.hope this will success.

Our team in Tokyo is testing now with Windows 7. I have not tested it myself yet. If I get any additional information I will let you know.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Mike,
Do you know if the USB driver on the new PX130/330 models support Windows Vista 64 bit? If so, I would expect this to work on Windows 7. It looks like the older driver on the website only supports Vista 32 bit, although I am surprised Vista would load a driver that also works on Windows 98/98SE/ME. I would have expected compatibility issues.

I have heard that it does work but am waiting confirmation from Tokyo regarding this.

The PX-130 and PX-330 actually do not require a driver on Windows XP - they are class compliant. Just plug it in. I expect it to be fine on Vista64 and Win7 and if I get confirmation of that I will get the websites updated.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
K
K
thank u all,my problem have been fixed.ive downgrade my windows 7 to windows vista.now my px320 work as a charming midi controller.thanx 4 da advice n tips.!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission