Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
52 registered members (AZNpiano, Candywoman, Charles Cohen, 12 invisible), 1,096 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686163
01/17/09 09:06 PM
01/17/09 09:06 PM
H
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Horwinkle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
Your analogy doesn't apply. Modern products using modern materials and modern designs are one thing. But pianos are basically a 19th century design, made mostly of wood. Much of the work is done by hand. Great care is needed in fitting, carving, adjusting, voicing, etc. (How many cars are made that way?)

I have nothing to say about Suzuki one way or the other, since I've never played or even seen one. My only point is that the parts used are only one aspect of the quality question.

Every Suzuki Digital Baby grand I've seen has had great craftsmanship, sound, and looked outstanding.
What signs of craftsmanship are you referring to?

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686164
01/19/09 10:34 AM
01/19/09 10:34 AM
Corpus Christi, TX
IronCobra Offline
IronCobra  Offline
Corpus Christi, TX
Signs of craftsmanship? Design, function, sound, quality of assembly, fit and finish are what I'm referring to.

Brother, I am also a Drummer and a Guitarist. I have a drumkit worth almost $12,000 (that's alot in turns of Drums). I know quite ability about fitting, carving, adjusting, voicing, etc.

And my analogy applies perfectly. I've owned 6 Lexus' (and currently own a 2008 Lexus GS460). If you think that there isn't MORE precise "fitting, carving, and adjusting" in producing a high end luxury car (or any car for that matter) than you are poory mistaken. You piano will never be subjected to the trama of a vehicle, and thus will never undergoe the riggers needed in design something of that caliber.

And, correction to your statement. Most new pianos, though assembled by hand, have parts that are built by machines and molds. This is the same process when building a car. The 32 very detailed wooden pieces in my car were also handmade.

I know this isn't a car forum, but I think the point makes valid sense when having this conversation.

Since you have never played or seen one don't you feel that making initial statement of "But most agree that design, skilled labor, and attention to detail make the difference among acoustic pianos." is a bit misguided?

Again, I'm not trying to defend a product only because I want to see the underdog win. I'm trying to defend a product that I use, play, own, can touch, and can see.

I would actually go as far as to say that Suzuki Pianos are probably assembled with a higher level of skill than many. Why? It comes down to economic. The deeper the pocket of the company, the more money can be put towards fit and finish. The machines and labor that some other piano companies might not be able to afford are probably easily affordable by a company as large as Suzuki.

Yamaha Motif XS8
Yamaha CLP170
Yamaha MO6
Korg Triton Studio 88
Suzuki MG350 Digital Baby Grand
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686165
01/19/09 10:44 AM
01/19/09 10:44 AM
Banned
T
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member
theJourney  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Banned
I have played several Suzuki acoustics last year next to another Chinese brand, Brodmann. Where it counts, in sound and touch. the Suzuki acoustics were pretty darn poor, and that is being very polite. They were also pretty cheap. I am not sure what the relevance is of the Suzuki acoustics to their digital pianos as I understand these are completely different factories...

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686166
01/19/09 11:39 AM
01/19/09 11:39 AM
H
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Horwinkle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally posted by IronCobra:
Signs of craftsmanship? Design, function, sound, quality of assembly, fit and finish are what I'm referring to.
Exactly. What signs of these can you point out?

Brother, I am also a Drummer and a Guitarist. I have a drumkit worth almost $12,000 (that's alot in turns of Drums). I know quite ability about fitting, carving, adjusting, voicing, etc.
We're talking about pianos, not drums.

And my analogy applies perfectly. I've owned 6 Lexus' (and currently own a 2008 Lexus GS460). If you think that there isn't MORE precise "fitting, carving, and adjusting" in producing a high end luxury car (or any car for that matter) than you are poory mistaken.
Let's not get stuck on analogies. Drums and cars are not pianos.

And, correction to your statement. Most new pianos, though assembled by hand, have parts that are built by machines and molds. This is the same process when building a car. The 32 very detailed wooden pieces in my car were also handmade.
Parts, yes. But assembly is key. I think you should learn more about piano manufacturing before you sputter on about this.

Since you have never played or seen one don't you feel that making initial statement of "But most agree that design, skilled labor, and attention to detail make the difference among acoustic pianos." is a bit misguided?
Nope. Not at bit.
Design, skilled labor, and attention to detail are crucial. What makes you think otherwise?

I'm trying to defend a product that I use, play, own, can touch, and can see.
And I'm neither attacking nor defending Suzuki. I'm just pointing out that skill matters.

I would actually go as far as to say that Suzuki Pianos are probably assembled with a higher level of skill than many. Why? It comes down to economic. The deeper the pocket of the company, the more money can be put towards fit and finish. The machines and labor that some other piano companies might not be able to afford are probably easily affordable by a company as large as Suzuki.
I do not dispute that. But you give no specifics. "Deeper pockets", even if true, is not pertinent.

Anyway, I've never seen any information about Suzuki's methods. But it appears that you've not, either.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686167
01/19/09 07:05 PM
01/19/09 07:05 PM
Corpus Christi, TX
IronCobra Offline
IronCobra  Offline
Corpus Christi, TX
Any, what if any research have you done? None I bet.

Question, what would it take to convince you? Would you need an Airplane ticket to their factory? Would you need to speak directly to their Engineers and Craftsmen? If that's your logic then you probably can't vouch for ANY piano manufacturer.

Exactly. What signs of these can you point out?
I OWN ONE! And I also own and have played many of the "high end" brands that would be compared against it. I own a company which owns a C3 Yamaha 6' Acoustic Grand. I personally own a Clav, Mofit, MO, and Korg Triton. I can see the craftsmanship by going to any one of them and looking at them. Shoot, I could take them apart if I needed to (I'm also an Aerospace Engineer, I think I know a little about craftsmanship).

You litterly have nothing to even speak on. You admit you've never seen one let alone played one. Everyone who has commented seams to be looking for bad things to say about them rather than basing their information on fact.

We're talking about pianos, not drums.
Negative, we are talking about skilled craftsmanship. It's a pretty bias statement to assume that only pianists know what that is.

Let's not get stuck on analogies. Drums and cars are not pianos.
You're right, but they are a great example of other things that you can directly compare when talking about Brand Recognition and assembly process. My analogy is spot on and you have been proving that point ever since you started debated without any facts.

Parts, yes. But assembly is key. I think you should learn more about piano manufacturing before you sputter on about this.
Now, this if funny. You are questioning my knowledge of "piano manufacturing" when clearly I have done much more research than you on the product you are criticizing. That's funny and a bit hypocritical. As you said "Assembly is key" so I ask you, point out any process in the assembly of a Suzuki piano that is sub par..... Wait, you've never seen one, let alone played one.

Nope. Not at bit.
Design, skilled labor, and attention to detail are crucial. What makes you think otherwise?
And again, where is your factual information stating that their attention to detail, design, and skilled labor is so bad? You don't have any.

And I'm neither attacking nor defending Suzuki. I'm just pointing out that skill matters.
You are attacking them. I can guarantee if this thread was talking about Yamaha pianos (which I also play) you wouldn't be making the claims you are making against them.

I do not dispute that. But you give no specifics. "Deeper pockets", even if true, is not pertinent.

Anyway, I've never seen any information about Suzuki's methods. But it appears that you've not, either.
Actually, I have proven my point. Purchasing better quality parts means nothing if the assembly of those parts is sub par (as you like to say), however, wouldn't it be resonable to say that they have the means to assemble their pianos just as well, if not better than many of their competators who don't have the funds they do? A little common sense here.

Why does Toyota make better cars than Kia? They have more money and better means to do it. (another great comparison).

I have plenty of information regarding their "methods". Within reason, what are you wanting to know? I am an information nut. I research anything I buy (or defend) extensively.

Regards,

Oh, here is a little information regarding their build process. Yes, I know it's not as detailed you probably would demand, but it's more than you already know.

[Linked Image]

Yamaha Motif XS8
Yamaha CLP170
Yamaha MO6
Korg Triton Studio 88
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686168
01/19/09 07:11 PM
01/19/09 07:11 PM
Corpus Christi, TX
IronCobra Offline
IronCobra  Offline
Corpus Christi, TX
Originally posted by theJourney:
I have played several Suzuki acoustics last year next to another Chinese brand, Brodmann. Where it counts, in sound and touch. the Suzuki acoustics were pretty darn poor, and that is being very polite. They were also pretty cheap. I am not sure what the relevance is of the Suzuki acoustics to their digital pianos as I understand these are completely different factories...
I definatly respect your opinion. I have played their Conservatory Acoustic Grand. I would compare it almost directly to the feel and action of a Baltwin or some other midline brand. It actually felt better than the 6' Kawai they had. I personally love the feel of a Yamaha. The pedal feel and action I feel are different all around from any other piano. I think we all look for something different in Grand Pianos (digital or acoustic). When I played the Kawai, I personally like the feel of the Suzuki and the Yamaha over it. I think overall the Yamaha has a "tighter" feel.

Yamaha Motif XS8
Yamaha CLP170
Yamaha MO6
Korg Triton Studio 88
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686169
01/19/09 08:13 PM
01/19/09 08:13 PM
H
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Horwinkle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
Question, what would it take to convince you? Would you need an Airplane ticket to their factory? Would you need to speak directly to their Engineers and Craftsmen? If that's your logic then you probably can't vouch for ANY piano manufacturer.
Convince me of what? The point is that quality products come from quality manufacturing methods.

You seem very defensive of Suzuki, and you feel that I am attacking them. I'm not. Read the posts above. I started by saying that there's more to making a piano than just using good parts. And, you seem to agree that craftsmanship matters. Then we're agreed.

I've never said as much as one word about Suzuki product quality. (Others have criticized. Maybe you're confusing my posted statements with the posted criticisms leveled by others?)

On the other hand, you claimed that their products show the results of good craftsmanship. I asked for signs, and you replied with "deep pockets", etc. That didn't seem pertinent.

Subsequently you replied with "I own one". Okay, that puts you in a position to raise a point. For instance, you might say that you bought a Suzuki and found it to be better prepared by the manufacturer than other pianos you've seen or used. (I don't know if that was your experience, but this is just an example.) But you didn't say anything.
You are questioning my knowledge of "piano manufacturing" when clearly I have done much more research than you on the product you are criticizing. That's funny and a bit hypocritical. As you said "Assembly is key" so I ask you, point out any process in the assembly of a Suzuki piano that is sub par..... Wait, you've never seen one, let alone played one.
Again, you seem to think I'm criticizing Suzuki. In fact I'm neither criticizing Suzuki, nor praising them (or any other maker). I never said Suzuki is "sub par". I never said that their methods are lacking in any way whatsoever.

I make only one point ... that skill/craftsman ship matters. And I only asked one question ... what indications of quality do you see in your Suzuki? And I followed with one other point ... I rejected your notion about "deep pockets". The "pockets" don't matter. You could have discussed things like:
-- How does Suzuki select their lumber?
-- How do they prepare it?
-- How much time do they spend tuning and voicing a piano?
-- How does that differ between their high- and low-priced pianos?
-- And on and on.

Instead, you seem to feel "attacked". You shouldn't. I said earlier that (a) I have no information about Suzukis and (b) I have no opinion about their quality.

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686170
01/19/09 11:29 PM
01/19/09 11:29 PM
Corpus Christi, TX
IronCobra Offline
IronCobra  Offline
Corpus Christi, TX
I sincerely apologies for the misinterpretation on my part. I understand your point now. At first, it appeared to me that you were jumping on the band wagon with other "unsubstantiated" Suzuki haters. I'm sorry.

It is interesting hear from some who say they played one in a store or saw one at Costco and played it there at criticized it. It's interesting because some of the same people who would criticize their pianos could played a Kawai that sounded, felt, and performed identically and brag about how the Kawai performs but talk trash about the Suzuki. The point should be made that anyone would be hard pressed to find any two piano manufactures in the world that had the exact same feel, response, action, and design as another manufacturer.

Sorry again for my misunderstanding.

Back on topic though,

I did post an article directly from their site answering many of the questions you posted just now.

Regards

Yamaha Motif XS8
Yamaha CLP170
Yamaha MO6
Korg Triton Studio 88
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686171
01/22/09 09:52 AM
01/22/09 09:52 AM
New York
P
PrinceMercer Offline
PrinceMercer  Offline
P
New York
I am confused after reading this long conversation I feel like I have no better idea on if this piano is good or terrible!

One issue as I see it is many people are comparing similar products with dramatic differences in their hearing abilities. I, for example, am not a perfect-pitch, perfect-tone kinda guy, but I do like the touch to be solid, the action smooth and some progressive weighting along the keys. Does the Suzuki have this because if it does it could be interesting despite the fact it will obviously sound much worse than a $30k Roland KR Grand!

------
Gotta Split!
------
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686172
01/22/09 07:16 PM
01/22/09 07:16 PM
Corpus Christi, TX
IronCobra Offline
IronCobra  Offline
Corpus Christi, TX
Yes, Suzuki Digital Baby Grands (and many of their other lines) have Advanced Balanced Graded Hammer Action that is Velocity Sensitive. And they sample their sounds directly from 9'6" Bosendorfer Model 290 Imperial Grand Piano.

I added a Yamaha Subwoofer via RCA Outputs to add a bit more low end to mine. Though, without the Subwoofer it still sounds fantastic.

Yamaha Motif XS8
Yamaha CLP170
Yamaha MO6
Korg Triton Studio 88
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686173
01/23/09 08:57 AM
01/23/09 08:57 AM
B
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Bob Newbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Awhile back I was looking at digital baby grands
and saw an ad for Valdesta C500..I asked a poster who owned one for a few years..said I like the sound of the Valdesta but indicated she liked the Feel/Touch of the Suzuki better if she had to do it over she would've bought the Suzuki..
said the keys action of the Valdesta "were a bit mushy" smile

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686174
01/23/09 05:13 PM
01/23/09 05:13 PM
New York
P
PrinceMercer Offline
PrinceMercer  Offline
P
New York
Don't take this the wrong way IronCobra, but you are the only person strongly advocating the Suzuki...is there anyone else who has played it and has an opinion on this forum?

------
Gotta Split!
------
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686175
01/24/09 03:56 PM
01/24/09 03:56 PM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Georgia, USA
I think it's great to have more people contributing here about their experiences with a brand we don't experience firsthand that often. Having said that, I must take serious issue (for the purpose of trying to disseminate factual information for later searches on PW) about a lot of what you've posted regarding their acoustic pianos.

Regarding your previous statements, a little followup is seriously warranted:

"Suzuki Acoustic Grand Pianos are made in one of four factories they own and operate.
A Korean, Japan, China, and North American factory."
"All of their Grand Pianos that are sold in North American are assembled in North America at the North America Suzuki Piano Assembly Plant."

Where exactly is this North American factory? It has been stated here in the past that they don't have their own and subcontract the work to other existing factories. Enquiring minds want to know!

"Many of the parts used are German or Japanese made and are developed through a partnership with Yamaha."

In a forum with over 38,000 members-- a LOT of whom work in the industry, you're the first to suggest a partnership. Does Yamaha have a financial stake in Suzuki? Why wouldn't that be prominently displayed on their marketing literature as an asset?

"All bushings and dampers are very high quality Japanese felt. Their hammers are made from seasoned hardwoods and the hammer heads and shanks are covered in 100% Japanese virgin wool felt. They also use hand wound solid copper German Roslau strings, Japanese Maple 17 ply pin blocks and other ultra high end features."

This is all marketing speak and not necessarily indicative of "ultra high-end" features. Every piano maker comments on the high quality of their felt. What does "virgin" wool mean, exactly? The number of layers in a pin block is irrelevant as a tool for assessing its quality. I'm pretty sure every piano maker uses hardwoods in the hammers and shanks too. "Select hardwoods" is not a term that is used by marketers of "ultra high-end" pianos.

"They are one of the few Piano manufacturers who is ISO 9001 certified."

I see this certification listed on a lot of different products and don't really know what it would mean for an acoustic piano. It's not a term seen in connection with any of the high-end builders in my experience. Is Bosendorfer an ISO 9001 manufacturer?

"I hope all this information helps dispel some of the rumors regarding their pianos."

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686176
01/24/09 08:16 PM
01/24/09 08:16 PM
Corpus Christi, TX
IronCobra Offline
IronCobra  Offline
Corpus Christi, TX
I don't know where all their factories are. I was informed by their people that they have a factory in Laredo, TX that is one of a few Suzuki owned assembly plants in the US. I have personally see a very large Suzuki building in Laredo, though I am not 100% sure if that is what he was speaking about.

The same technician (whom I asked many questions) was the one who indicated their use of Yamaha co-developed parts. There are probably reasons why they can't advertise outright the use of other companies parts. For the same reasons Kia doesn't advertise the use of Toyota transmissions in their vehicles. There is probably something in a contract somewhere. You may not be aware, but Yamaha and Suzuki have MANY partnerships in Japan and use many of the same vendors for parts on almost everything they develope. It wouldn't be a stretch for them to stare vendors for piano parts.

As far as the marking jargon used in their development process, I can't speak to. I can only list many of the things they make available.

Being that ISO 9000 is a standard for quality management, it probably does contribute to some level of assurment in quality.

Here is the actual rules regarding 9001 certification.

ISO 9001:2000 Quality management systems – Requirements is intended for use in any organization which designs, develops, manufactures, installs and/or services any product or provides any form of service. It provides a number of requirements which an organization needs to fulfill if it is to achieve customer satisfaction through consistent products and services which meet customer expectations. It includes a requirement for the continual (i.e. planned) improvement of the Quality Management System, for which ISO 9004:2000 provides many hints.

Yamaha Motif XS8
Yamaha CLP170
Yamaha MO6
Korg Triton Studio 88
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686177
01/24/09 11:19 PM
01/24/09 11:19 PM
H
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Horwinkle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
Most people have never heard of ISO 9000 (or any of the other ISO protocols related to manufacturing).

I think ISO 9000 compliance is mandatory for manufacturers in Europe, I think. Not so in America, but many American makers choose to tighten up to meet the specs anyway.

Wikipedia sums it up as follows:
ISO 9000 is a family of standards for quality management systems. Some of the requirements in ISO 9001 (which is one of the standards in the ISO 9000 family) include:

- A set of procedures that cover key business processes
- Monitoring processes to ensure they are effective
- Keeping adequate records
- Checking for defects, with appropriate corrective action
- Regularly reviewing processes and the quality system for effectiveness
- Facilitating continual improvement

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686178
01/25/09 03:32 PM
01/25/09 03:32 PM
Texas
PhysicsTeacher Offline
PhysicsTeacher  Offline
Texas
I don't know anything about Suzuki pianos, but any manufacturing organization that is ISO 9000 certified is top notch in my book. Getting certified is not an easy nor inexpensive process. Most companies without deep pockets just can't afford to go through the process. Every detail of the process must be documented and then closed loop corrective actions must be put in place to assure continual improvements in the processes. Just the monitoring and documenting is very expensive.

IMO, the biggest benefits of ISO 9000 are repeatable processes and continual quality improvement. ISO 9000 certified companies must track quality output closely and when a problem is detected, they must implement corrective action and formally document those corrective actions. I know this seams like common sense but you would be surprised how costly this is to actually do and how many companies do not formally do this. The result is that ISO 9000 companies have much lower variances in their outputs. The result is that quality of output is much more consistent. Again, it may seem intuitive to do business this way, but it is costly and many small companies cannot afford to do so.

We have been and are in an era of changing paradigms when it comes to manufacturing. Poor quality is no longer acceptable in the marketplace. Companies have to produce quality products to stay competitive. IMO small family owned manufacturing businesses simply do not have the resources or skills to compete. Very few people are willing to spend the high 5 and 6 figures for a machine created by a small set of craftsmen. Yet the mass sales that are needed to stay in business will not permit crap from a mass manufacturer. Products need to be high quality and reasonably priced to succeed.

The best answer to this dilemma is a 1st class, deep pocket, large manufacturer. Because of labor costs, this necessarily means far east manufacturing. While this was once equated with low quality, it is no longer the case. Some good quality stuff is coming out of the far east. I recently built a kit airplane that was fabricated in Indonesia - first class work all the way around.

Again, I am not advocating Suzuki or any other brand of piano. But from my experience with ISO manufacturing, I would blindly purchase a product coming out of a ISO 9000 plant before I would purchased a similar product from a small family owned manufacturer who is not ISO 9000 certified.

Is a $10K Suzuki as fine a product as a $125K Steinway? Probably not, but I don't think that are the options on the table here.

Casio PX-320, Fabers' Adult Piano Adventures 1
"If you drive faster than I do, you are a maniac. If you drive slower than I do, you are are an idiot."
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686179
01/25/09 09:01 PM
01/25/09 09:01 PM
Corpus Christi, TX
IronCobra Offline
IronCobra  Offline
Corpus Christi, TX
well put.

Yamaha Motif XS8
Yamaha CLP170
Yamaha MO6
Korg Triton Studio 88
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686180
01/25/09 09:58 PM
01/25/09 09:58 PM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Georgia, USA
Physicsteacher,

Thanks for that information- very interesting.
The current reality of the high-end of the acoustic piano industry hearkens back to the idea of family ownership, low volume slow-paced production, and extensive hand labor. Even Yamaha and Kawai use a different manufacturing process (like that I just described) for their very best instruments. A serious pianist would never buy an acoustic instrument sight-unseen.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686181
01/25/09 10:37 PM
01/25/09 10:37 PM
Texas
PhysicsTeacher Offline
PhysicsTeacher  Offline
Texas
Originally posted by terminaldegree:
Physicsteacher,

... A serious pianist would never buy an acoustic instrument sight-unseen.
Perhaps not today, but one day he/she may not have a choice. Unless of course there rises a great number of "serious pianists" demanding hand crafted pianos sold through traditional channels. I don't see that happening. What I see is the quality of the mass produced products getting better and better and continued pressure on the high end producers. I predict the ranks of the traditional craftsmen will continue to fall to the point a high end piano becomes a special order product. To play before purchase may not be an option, except of course on the Suzuki at Costco. smile

All the best.

Casio PX-320, Fabers' Adult Piano Adventures 1
"If you drive faster than I do, you are a maniac. If you drive slower than I do, you are are an idiot."
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686182
01/26/09 07:32 AM
01/26/09 07:32 AM
Banned
T
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member
theJourney  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Banned
Most high end pianos seem to be special ordered anyway already because people want a certain finish, etc.

The nice thing about the Costco sales model is that everything is 100% returnable if you are not satisfied. Try that buying a Kawai or Grotrian-Steinweg at your local piano store. Personally, I would buy a Yamaha acoustic from Costco before I would buy a Suzuki.

In the age of $500 transatlantic air tickets and $125,000 hand crafted top grand pianos, serious customers just fly to the factory and pick out their piano there.

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686183
02/08/09 02:36 AM
02/08/09 02:36 AM
California
AnotherSchmoe Offline
AnotherSchmoe  Offline
California
I was in town today checking out a couple of instrument dealers hoping to find a Yamaha Clavinova, Roland HP-20X, or Kawai digital piano to try out but had no such luck, the best digital piano any of the stores I visited carried was a Suzuki (upright DP, not grand). I didn't check what model it was but the dealer was asking around $1300 for it. My opinion of it was that the Grand Piano sound was good for the price, and it had variations for each sound, such as Grand Piano 2, Honky-Tonk Piano etc. which I thought all sounded pretty good, very clear and crisp. Not fantastic mind you, but decent enough. The other voices all had 3 variation settings as well I believe, though I only tried E. Piano and Strings. The E. Piano was fairly decent, but not as good as the Grand Piano sound. I thought the strings voice sounded like garbage, and the keys felt terrible, which was my main complaint. Extremely fake and plasticy feeling, they were weighted but it felt extremely clunky and awkward for me to play on, and the keys were quite heavy and playing just did not feel right *at all*. But like I said the piano sounds were pretty good and the built-in speakers could get plenty loud (I turned it up about 70% of the way and it was almost louder than I would want it lol, so no complaint there).

Like I said, I don't know what model it was but it was a $1300 upright Suzuki DP, in summary my opinion was: Good piano sounds (for the price), nice loud speakers, *terrible* action on the keys, and pretty crummy strings voice. Overall not overly impressed, but certainly not too disappointed considering it was $1300, the only REALLY bad thing that bothered me about it in the 5 minutes or so I fiddled around on it was the terrible action on the keys, which I thought was a real deal-breaker, it was BAD. Though I don't know if this is true for all of Suzuki's models as this was the only one I've played, it is quite possible that they have far superior actions on their digital grands, I just don't know personally. I also don't know what year this model was put out (I didn't really ask too many questions while I was there as I wasn't really interested in purchasing it) but I'd *guess* no earlier than 2000. I don't know how this would compare to a similarly priced Yamaha / Casio as I haven't tried one yet. But I personally think it would be more advisable to save up a little bit longer and spend an extra $400-$600 to get a good model DP from a good brand like Yamaha, Roland, or Kawai rather than the Suzuki (that is, if you already know you plan on sticking with piano for years to come and not just dropping it after a few months). This is all my opinion of course, and I have not played the others in person yet but have done loads of research and listening to samples online and this is based on what I've read, though obviously I can't say for certain yet.

Was really hoping to try a Yamaha, Roland, or Kawai today but unfortunately no one in the city I visited (pop. 50,000) was carrying them for some reason (turns out most of the piano dealers there were pretty small-time). Guess I'd better try a different city later on and call ahead of time to see what they carry.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention this, but it is possible that there was a setting to adjust the touch on the key-action of the Suzuki DP I tried, but I wasn't in the store very long and didn't check for this feature. I doubt it would have helped greatly though, the action was not very good.

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686184
02/08/09 10:04 PM
02/08/09 10:04 PM
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Marty Flinn  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Iron Cobra,
I am glad you are happy with your Suzuki product. Ownership satisfaction is what is important. Ordinarily I would not rock the boat with a happy owner, but you have posted very stridently several things that I take issue with.

I have had considerable experience with these products and found them to be lacking. I am not a fan. I will state this up front.

I do not believe there is any U.S. stateside Suzuki factory. There may be a shipping/receiving/warehouseing facility. There is a U.S. distributorship. There is some kind of repair facility. It is my understanding that Suzuki acoustic pianos are built under contract with one or more Chinese manufacturers. It is also my understanding that the digital pianos are built under contract with one or more Chinese manufacturers.

It would see the the bulk of your information re. Suzuki has come from their printed material, website, sales presentations, and from speaking to their "people." There are those of us with real hands on experience that have a different viewpoint.

The fact there are few, if any, U.S. retailers for these products except COSTCO speaks volumes. Any time a distributor has to take out full page ads in trade magazines to resell returned and refurbished units doesn't speak well either.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686185
02/09/09 12:52 AM
02/09/09 12:52 AM
H
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Horwinkle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally posted by AnotherSchmoe:
I was in town today checking out a couple of instrument dealers hoping to find a Yamaha Clavinova, Roland HP-20X, or Kawai digital piano to try out but had no such luck, the best digital piano any of the stores I visited carried was a Suzuki.
In the US, Yamaha and Roland sell the low-to-mid range goods through band/music stores, such as Guitar City and Sam Ash. You won't find the Yamaha Clavinovas or the Roland HP-series there. (Not sure about the Kawais.)

To find those you must go to a piano dealer. That's the way it is in the US for their high-end DPs. (No internet sales either.) The mfg web site can help you locate a dealer, or check your local business listings for a piano dealer in your town.

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686186
02/09/09 12:53 AM
02/09/09 12:53 AM
H
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Horwinkle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
I was in town today checking out a couple of instrument dealers hoping to find a Yamaha Clavinova, Roland HP-20X, or Kawai digital piano to try out but had no such luck, the best digital piano any of the stores I visited carried was a Suzuki.
In the US, Yamaha and Roland sell the low-to-mid range goods through band/music stores, such as Guitar City and Sam Ash. You won't find the Yamaha Clavinovas or the Roland HP-series there. (Not sure about the Kawais.)

To find those you must go to a piano dealer. That's the way it is in the US for their high-end DPs. (No internet sales either.) The mfg web site can help you locate a dealer, or check your local business listings for a piano dealer in your town.

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686187
02/09/09 01:20 AM
02/09/09 01:20 AM
California
AnotherSchmoe Offline
AnotherSchmoe  Offline
California
Originally posted by L Horwinkle:
[b] I was in town today checking out a couple of instrument dealers hoping to find a Yamaha Clavinova, Roland HP-20X, or Kawai digital piano to try out but had no such luck, the best digital piano any of the stores I visited carried was a Suzuki.

To find those you must go to a piano dealer. That's the way it is in the US for their high-end DPs. (No internet sales either.) The mfg web site can help you locate a dealer, or check your local business listings for a piano dealer in your town. [/b]
Thanks for the tips. It sort of makes it a hassle (at least for me in the country), it's too bad I can't just order online the same way I could if I wanted a YDP-223 or CE200 or something. I actually visited 1 piano dealer but like I said, a lot of the dealers around here are small-time (and this was an hour from where I live, my area only has a pop. of around 5,000, I went to one with around 50,000 to shop)... Anyways, it was a tiny shop and all they sold were small spinets (not substantially better than my own spinet at home) and the one Suzuki DP. Depressing! I would have loved to have bought a DP from them too, the guy who owned it was very friendly and was not trying to force any sales down my throat, we just held casual conversation while I was there, so I would have loved to have given him business buuut he doesn't carry what I'm wanting unfortunately.

I guess I'd better make sure to call around before I make any trips next time, there are a few other small cities about an hour in other directions from where I live, and there's a chance they may have what I'm wanting. If that doesn't turn up anything my only option is to take a 3 hour trip into a real, large city. frown

Ah well, I'm just airing my frustrations, sorry lol. I know it's worth the trip to make sure I get something I'm happy with I just wish there was an easier way. And I realize after typing this up now how ridiculous I sound sighing over 1-3 hour trips to scout out some piano dealers but I don't get out much. :p

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686188
02/09/09 06:13 PM
02/09/09 06:13 PM
Denton Texas
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member
LesCharles73  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Denton Texas
You may already know this, but the "adjustable" touch settings on a DP will not change the actual feel of the keyboard itself. It will only change how the instrument reacts to how heavy or light you are playing. The keys will feel the exact same whether you have it on Heavy, Light, or Medium.

Les C Deal

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686189
02/09/09 07:26 PM
02/09/09 07:26 PM
California
AnotherSchmoe Offline
AnotherSchmoe  Offline
California
Originally posted by LesCharles73:
You may already know this, but the "adjustable" touch settings on a DP will not change the actual feel of the keyboard itself. It will only change how the instrument reacts to how heavy or light you are playing. The keys will feel the exact same whether you have it on Heavy, Light, or Medium.
Ah, I was actually not too sure. I haven't had much hands-on experience with DPs yet. Thanks for the tip. smile

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686190
02/12/09 04:51 PM
02/12/09 04:51 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
C
celiatrout Offline
celiatrout  Offline
C
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's a link to Suzuki R-21 through Sam's Club.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=415639&pCatg=5861

I haven't been able to find ANY reviews of these models. Anybody know anything about this one? Thanks.

Celia

Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686191
02/16/09 03:42 AM
02/16/09 03:42 AM
K
Ken. Offline
Ken.  Offline
K
Iron Cobra, in your original review you mentioned that the Suzuki S-350 did not have as loud a bass as a Roland. Which Roland were you comparing it to? Do you still prefer the Suzuki over the Roland?

I was listening to the ABF recital today and the Roland FP-7 sounded pretty good to me. I also was at Costco yesterday and noticed some new digital pianos there and briefly looked at them, but didn't notice the brand. I'll have to take a closer look next time.

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]
Re: Costco Digital Pianos #686192
02/24/09 03:52 PM
02/24/09 03:52 PM
Corpus Christi, TX
IronCobra Offline
IronCobra  Offline
Corpus Christi, TX
i would definatly say the Roland is a better piano. I personally wouldn't spend the $12k that it costs to purchase one though. The Suzuki looks great, sounds great, and has ok action and feel when playing. The Roland will defiantly be a higher end piano with many features that the Suzuki may lack. however, I would expect that for a piano that costs 6x more.

Yamaha Motif XS8
Yamaha CLP170
Yamaha MO6
Korg Triton Studio 88
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai RX6 heavy action
by Radio.Octave. 06/23/18 03:50 PM
Accident-prone accidentals in printed music
by FrankCox. 06/23/18 02:01 PM
Reyburn Grand Cyberhammer
by Miguel Rey. 06/23/18 12:37 PM
Should I say goodbye?
by eyeluvlucy. 06/23/18 11:48 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,108
Posts2,726,956
Members90,435
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission