2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
mahlzeit,

I checked again and yes I am recording two channels. Here are screenshots of the two normalizing areas. I can't select 0db for some reason. It's -3 or nothing. Is this option hidden somewhere?

Noise Removal

Normalize

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ah, what version of Audacity are you using? I use version "1.3 (beta)". Even though it says beta, it works just fine. (I probably should mention this in the article as well. laugh )

Note that normalizing to -3 dB will do just fine for piano recordings; that's still loud enough. So it's not a big deal.

If you *are* recording two channels, then I suppose your digital piano just doesn't output very stereo sound, i.e. it has a "narrow stereo field". Maybe the instrument has an option to "widen" it.

S
S
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mahlzeit:
[QB] Hi all,

Here it is:
http://www.originalsolopiano.com/how-to-record-piano.html

THank you for the link and the help.
After years of recording midi direct to computer via the game port, my new laptop had no such gameport entry/
My piano shop tells me midi is on the way out and will be replaced by USB. Do not know if that is so, but I bought a Tapco Traction USB connection between piano and laptop and it works beautifully. You can record via microphone with it also. Excellent sound quality.
Have to edit by sound waves, though. Still trying to find a way to take the music to a programme which will put the music as notes on a stave, as Cubase and Personal Composer did with midi input§
Any help and suggestions always welcome!

Iris

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Iris,

MIDI isn't going anywhere soon; what the people from your piano shop probably meant is that most MIDI now uses USB connections instead of the old 5-pin DIN plugs and gameport connectors.

What you have -- the Tapco Traction USB thing -- is an external sound card, so yes, that only records audio. But you can also buy a MIDI-to-USB interface that can record MIDI.

Originally posted by mahlzeit:
Ah, what version of Audacity are you using? I use version "1.3 (beta)". Even though it says beta, it works just fine. (I probably should mention this in the article as well. laugh )

Note that normalizing to -3 dB will do just fine for piano recordings; that's still loud enough. So it's not a big deal.

If you *are* recording two channels, then I suppose your digital piano just doesn't output very stereo sound, i.e. it has a "narrow stereo field". Maybe the instrument has an option to "widen" it.
Oh....that would explain the differences laugh I guess working in the computer field has made me Beta adverse. I'll download 1.3 and start using that. I'll also look into widening the stereo field of my keyboard.

S
S
tHANK you, Matthijs, for putting me straight on that. I shall look for the midi-USB interface, which, to be honest, is what I THOUGHT I was buying when I bought the Traction. Then I can continue to use the old software and edit real notes...........
THanks again
Iris

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
First make sure the Traction doesn't already have a MIDI input/output. Would be a shame to buy something new if you already had the functionality available to you...

mahlzeit,

How about this recording with your suggested changes?

Casio PX310

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hmm,

It's actually worse than the previous one. There's this weird "echo" on loud tones. I don't know what causes that. Maybe it's the noise reduction. Remember that this step is optional, and you're better off without it if the noise is neglectable.

mahlzeit,

Thanks for all the help. I hope you don't get tired of this. Here's another try.

Casio PX310

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
It sounds alright, but there is a slightly noise on the line. I guess you did this without noise reduction? Then I suppose this is as good as it's going to get... smile

By the way, most people will listen over speakers and to them the noise is inaudible anyway. Only a sound nerd like me with headphones on might hear it. laugh

And no, I don't mind... In fact, I have to thank you for helping me make the article clearer. wink

Ok. I'm not satisfied. I really want to find out what I'm doing wrong. Do you think it could be the cable? It's a cheap $7 cable with 2 mono 1/4" to 1 stereo 1/8". I plug it into the on-board soundcard's input jack. Maybe it's my soundcard? I'm going to make an unedited wav file to see if you can tweak it. That will rule out my equipment.

link

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Looking at your WAV file, the volume is really really low! If this is the level at which you've recorded it, you may want to move your volume sliders/knobs up quite a bit.

If this is as loud as it gets, then putting some kind of amplifier in the middle would help. Normalizing a recording amplifies the sound (and the noise in it!) digitally, so maybe an analogue amp would produce a better result. I don't know.

By the way, I don't think you're doing anything terribly wrong... maybe you just have reached the level of recording quality that your equipment is capable of.

If you want to get better sound, buy a digital piano or sound module with balanced outputs, shielded cables, and a better soundcard.

Audacity = excellent software ...
thx for this suggestion,,

Originally posted by Triryche:
mwf,
In windows you can use Sound Reocrder, but better is to download Audacity for free to capture your recordings. Cubase can do much more than Audacity but is not (usually) free.

-cheers!!!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To Agent,

make sure if you have a microphone input, that it is muted during the recording.
And any other inputs besides the Line-In.

(Maybe Matthijs already mentions this on his page?)

Double click the little speaker for the volume control,
In the Options menu, pick properties.

Choose the recording radio button.

Mute anything other than your line in.

Not sure if this will do the trick, but it's worth a shot...

...Steve

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Heh, good suggestion. I hadn't mentioned that in the article, but I'll add it. I think most soundcards only allow recording from a single input at a time, but no doubt someone will have a soundcard that allows more than one. Thanks, Steve. smile

Thanks. I did mute the mic in but I'm not sure if there are other inputs to consider. I'll check it out.

Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Mahlzeit,

I'm looking for an app to convert midi files into mp3 but with the voice that came with the art vista virtual piano (and maybe some other virtual pianos in future). Your faq recommended VST host and Cantabile, will they allow me to do this?

Also, will they allow me to convert the midi with multiple voices (i.e., combine the voices from 2 different plugin apps?)...haha, I'm new to all this plugin stuff so forgive my ignorance.

Thanks in advance!

[Linked Image]
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Mahlzeit,

I think I figured it out, went with Cantabile Lite that you recommended, very easy to use with the one plugin I have (do you know if I can play a midi with two voices at the same time on catabile lite?)

Anyway, finished my first conversion from midi to wav to mp3 (via audacity with lame).

Kudos, mate, you have my vote for most valuable member. BTW, what commercial program would you recommend? I've only heard of cubase and cakewalk...

Thanks again.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi sid, I'm glad you figured it out. laugh

Originally posted by sid:
(do you know if I can play a midi with two voices at the same time on catabile lite?)
Hmm, I haven't tried this, but if a MIDI file thas two voices then each of these voices has its own "channel". Maybe you can map the channels to different VST plug-ins? That's how I would expect it to work, anyway.

BTW, what commercial program would you recommend? I've only heard of cubase and cakewalk...
I wouldn't know. I use a very old version of Cool Edit Pro. If I ever get a new computer then I might upgrade to Cubase. But you're better off asking others for recommendations here. laugh

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission