2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
Yes, Avery still works here!

Mike Martin
Yamaha US
I have just tested the p120 for string resonance again, and it has it.

Mike, I held down C D E. I Played a C an octave below, and the C D E did resonate softly. I then tried some other notes, like Eb Gb, and I played Eb and octave below and it resonated.

My p120 has string resonance.

Regards,
p120dUdE

www.newenglandmusic.biz.ly

The Yamaha P120 is da bomb! It rocks! It is superb, fantastic, awesome!

*Yamaha P120 Stage Piano*Yamaha CS1X Synthesizer
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
This is cute..... we have a 13 year old telling the factory people they don't know what their own products do.....

M
M
I held down C D E. I Played a C an octave below, and the C D E did resonate softly.
If you've done this than you've created something that even the P250 can't do. The "D" would not resonate in this case on the P250.

I'll have a MP3 recording of the P250 demonstrating this feature within an hour. That will be my last post regarding this matter. The P120, P90, P60 do not have this capability.

Mike Martin
Yamaha US
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by p120mAn:
Mike, I held down C D E. I Played a C an octave below, and the C D E did resonate softly. I then tried some other notes, like Eb Gb, and I played Eb and octave below and it resonated.
Dude, you are confused. You are hearing soundboard reverb. Read the product site again - it is clear that the P90 and P120 do not have string or soundboard resonance, although they both have the reverb effect. They *do* have a fourth sample layer that simulates both string and soundboard resonance, but you will only hear it when the damper is activated. You would not have been able to hear it in your experiment. This really ought to be called a "damper resonance" sample layer.

The P250 does have sample layers for both string and soundboard resonance and it does not depend on the state of the damper pedal. It does a much better job of simulating the mechanical interaction between notes, although it is still sample based and not modelled.

Ryan

G
G
Well, Mike, whatever they're paying you, you certainly earn every penny. thumb

Gary
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Well, Mike, whatever they're paying you, you certainly earn every penny.
I agree!!!

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
M
M
Thanks guys,

Unfortunately someone borrowed the P250 from our lab so I can't get a recording today. It may be back tomorrow.

Mike Martin
Yamaha US
Mike, you have caught were I tricked you, and I tested it today.

I played on my teachers Yamaha C5 grand today, held down C D E, and then striked C an octave below. The ONLY one that resonated was the C, not the D or E. You stated in a Harmany Central post that IF You held C D E down, and strike a C below, they would all resonate. That is wrong, i was tricking you in my post above.

For the string and soundboard resonance, the p120 has it. I played a C, striked a C below, and C resonated softly. I tried it on the C5 grand, and it did the same as the p120. Im sorry mike, I dont care if you work for yamaha, but I know for a fact the p120 has string resonance and soundboard resonance capabilities.

This is also my last post for this type of thread.

Regards,
p120dUdE

M
M
No, read my original post again. I said play a C MAJOR chord. FYI - Thats C, E and G. All three notes will resonate as the lower C note contains these harmonics. BTW, the C would be the loudest, the E and G would be much quieter.

Also re-read my post above as I correctly said that the "D" would not resonate at all.

Mike Martin
Yamaha US
Originally posted by Mike Martin:
No, read my original post again. I said play a C MAJOR chord. FYI - Thats C, E and G. All three notes will resonate as the lower C note contains these harmonics. BTW, the C would be the loudest, the E and G would be much quieter.

Also re-read my post above as I correctly said that the "D" would not resonate at all.
I tried this on the C5 today also, all i noticed was the C ringing. After I striked C, i could hear the C ringing, and I slowly let go of the E and G keys. I could not hear any difference as I let them go, i just hear d the C ringing still.

This is the truth, mike, i wouldnt lie on an open forum and anywhere.

I tried this on the p120, and the C was definatly ringing in sympathy. Its not any reverb, its definalty ringing.

Regards,
p120dUdE

M
M
Then you have the only P120 in the world that can do this. I'm not denying that you are hearing SOMETHING, but you are not hearing "Harmonic Resonance" as appears on the P250.

As I've said before, I appreciate and share your enthusiasm about the P120. However, misinformation about this topic and other "modeling" features are simply wrong.

If you like to discuss this further, feel free to contact me directly by phone.

Yamaha Corporation of America
6600 Orangethorpe Ave.
Buena Park, CA 90620
(714) 522-9011

Mike Martin
Yamaha US
I am hearing harmonic resonance, just like a piano. I hear it clear and crisp. And now, that is all i will say on this forum and thread.

Regards,
p120dUdE

F
Frungy Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi Mike- thanks for all the great info. Getting back to the original topic, though... are the P90 and P120 pretty much the same instrument, except one includes speakers and one doesn't? I'm not very concerned with differences in computer output, just sound quality and touch.

Thanks!

M
M
Since this topic continues to come up I'm getting specifics from our soundware department.

Aside from the speakers, the feature set is essentially the same. They have the same key action too.

There are slight differences in the voicing. If you have the opportunity to play them both, do so. Again, I'll confirm the exact differences.

My understanding is that both instruments use sanmples taken from the SAME CFIIIS piano during the same recording session. However its possible that different velocity layers and/or mic placements were chosen for each instrument.

I've ordered a P90 for our lab so I can get comparison recordings up on the web. Even so, playing both will give you the best comparison.

Mike Martin
Yamaha US
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The kid said:
And now, that is all i will say on this forum and thread.

There *is* a god......

Z
Z
Is the p90 the same as the p120 sound wise (can't quite afford the p250 and I think the p90 is more roadable) I read th post and I am still not sure. The p90 was demo'd thru a little Roland keyboard amp and wasn't as fat sounding (was it the amp?)

zpianoguy
Z
Z
Sorry to run this in the ground. I use an old Peavy 600 PA brain, 15'woofer cab. with a horn.
This has produced a more than acceptable sound with an older Kurzweil piano module. The P90 didn't sound as nice as P120 in the store with the Roland keyboard amp they were using (irreguardless of trying to tweak tone). The salesman indicated that the P90 was more roadable and was Identical soundwise. Is the 120
so fragile? I just want to get that sound the 120 produces through it's little speakers through my Peavy and through our band's PA that I send my signal too. Help please (old confused hippy)

zpianoguy
Z
Z
15" woofer(not 15'....LOL)

zpianoguy
The P90 has a different (newer) sample, but should be almost identical to the P120 as far as sound goes. The salesman that indicated that the P90 was more "roadable" was probably refering to the fact that the P90 has no onboard speakers so it weighs less and takes up less space.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission