2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hi everyone,

I've been living in Japan for a few years and decided to get back into playing piano (we used to own a piano in New Zealand), but because of my current situation I am looking at getting a digital piano.

I think the most important thing to me is the keyboard, as I am used to playing a piano and don't like the light feeling of cheaper electronic keyboards.

So I went to the shops here and played a few to see hwo they feel, and narowed it down to two.

The yahama ydp 160 and casio px 720 both felt good to me, and I like the simpiler design without all the extra buttons. Here the prices are 500$ for the casio, and 890$ for the yamaha. I thought the feeling of the keys on the yamaha felt nicer, but this could just be me tricking myself into thinking the more expensive one is better.

I was wondering if anyone have any experence with these models or some advice, as im really lost on which to buy (althou leaning towards casio because its cheaper).

Thanks

L
L
No Way! Get YDP-160! It has better sound, better amplification, better action and the sound is much more realistic (on how the note decays, the sound, etc.).
I own a YDP-140 and before buying it, I have tried many other models (casio, kawai, etc.). Casio was at the bottom of my list. I didn´t like them at all (but that´s my personal apreciation).

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H

B
OP Offline
B
Ah sorry, the prices I wrote I converted to US dollars (not nz). The prices I was originally given are 49,900 yen for the casio and 83,100 yen for the yamaha. But I did notice that they are a lot cheaper in japan compared to overseas, im not quite sure why.

Thanks for the advice anyway! I will save up the extra few hundred dollars are get the yamaha 160

V
V
I do consider the YDP-160 better than the PX-720 - but is it 2 times better, not in my opinion

You have to consider that one costs almost 2 x more than the other.

I have replaced my Yamaha p-120 with a Casio PX-320. I have no regrets so far.

It is all about what you can afford and then what you believe will bring you back to play that instrument more than the other. We are talking about doing music here. You must choose the instrument that inspires you the most.

One last thing: if you are really in playing piano, and you have access the real thing, no matter what you buy, but, it is just a question of time, any DP will reveal its fakeness at a point that you will not bear with it anymore.
Think about it before you spend your hard earned money.

"Le prix s'oublie, la qualite reste" (Les tontons flingueurs)
Some people say that "the price paid is forgotten over the time but the quality of the acquired piano is still there". OK for an acoustic but I do not believe this can be applied to Digital pianos, because every 6 months, there is something better coming out.

I just bought a YDP-160 last Sunday. Had it replaced because UPS damaged the Piano. But I have tried the keys on the 160. It feels heavy to the touch and feels like the real thing. I haven't really tried the the PX-720.

I did try playing on the PX-800 and it has good key action, I would assume it may be the same case for PX-720. The speakers on the PX-800 is 20w, which is loud enough.

As for the YDP-160, the speakers are 20w as well. Great looking digital piano and its a Yamaha! I would certainly tell you to get the Yamaha over the Casio!

laugh

..::Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage::..
W
W
I can get a 720 for about $650 at Costco. A YDP 160 is double. So, what do you do? Man oh man. Buy two 720's or one YDP-160? In todays economy, bye the cheap one, spend the rest on your 401k perhaps or maybe something for the better half.

weaky6
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i would definitely get YDP160, and it's worth the difference in price.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission