2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, CrisOliveira, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 1,796 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#683332 03/30/05 02:37 AM
K
KennyB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi,

I'm a new learner of piano and wanting to buy a digital piano (because I can put headphone on & not disturb other people). I've went to a shop and tested out the Yamaha & Roland brands and have decided to go for a Roland.
However, I've been doing some search on the Roland range and for my price range, I have narrowed it down to either HP102 or HP103. Looking at the specs, I can't seems to find much difference between the two. However the price is about £200 in difference? Can anyone let me know the difference between the two or which one is better?
I've read somewhere that the HP102 is a new model since 2004, is that true and is it good or bad??
Thanks in anticipation!

Ken

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
KennyB,

Roland's site says that the HP 103 keyboard includes escapement, which should produce a more realistic feel. (It would also make the mechanism more complicated, unless the escapement feature is simulated.)

ProPianoGuy is connected with Roland. If he doesn't weigh in on this one, you might want to shoot him a PM.

DavidH

Hey guys,

We don't have the HP-102e here in Canada. I beleive it is a European model only.

But looking at Roland UK's site reveals that the action in the HP102 is the compact progressive hammer action. This is a step above the balanaced hammer action that existed on the previous HP-2e.

But I know the HP-103 anywhere in the world has the progressive hammer action keyboard (no escapement on this model. Step up to the HP-107 for that)

But I know the sound system on the HP-103 is 25W per side and sounds great! (The piano sample is taken from the previous HP-7 top of the line piano) IMO well worth any difference in price right there!

My $.02

PPBC

Piano guy,

Whats your opinion on the new rd700sx paino please,am looking for a home piano but would like as near acoustic sound as possible
Thanks

sssssssssss
K
KennyB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks guys,

Yeah, I've seen on the spc that the HP102 has a compact progressive hammer action and HP103 has progressive hammer action (not compact), does that mean 103 is better as its not compact? Or does size matter?? ^_^
So do you think I should go for the HP103??

Cheers,
Ken

K
KennyB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi guys,
Its me again! ^_^
Forgot to ask, as I am thinking of buying either model through the internet, is it safe to buy over the net?
Also what about warrenty? Is it worth getting the extended 5 yrs warrenty?

Thanks!

If your budget supports buying from a local dealer as opposed to the internet, go see the dealer...Granted the extra money isn't always a tangible thing to see besides service that you may never need...But if you should ever need it...You will be glad you did!

A local dealer quite often can provide a level of service that the internet can't....Hence the net dealer can sell for less as once the box is out the door, they are done!

Between the two, I would probably select the HP-103, if you can afford it. But I like the feeling and sound of the 103 and haven't tried a 102 so my opinion could be completely moot. Depends on what you like...

Either way, whichever you decide, enjoy your Roland piano!

PPBC

Edit added: A 5 yr warranty.......These pianos rarely, if ever, break under normal operation. Make sure you register your piano with Roland and don't allow beverages and food near the piano.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pro Piano Guy:

Do you feel that a relatively poor player would get much benefit from the "escapement" feature of HP107 versus the more affordable HP103?

Cobs:
Kinda the same question: CLP170 vs PF500 - how good do you have to be to appreciate the "better" keyboard?

Thanks

Phil
Palley,

Only you can decide that for your self. Certainly for me, if my budget would support the price of the HP-107 I would go that way based on the touch and sound of the HP-107.

To your specific question,
To a beginner, there may be no appreciable difference between the action of the HP-107 relative to that of the HP-103 but as the student progresses and advances in their skill, the escapment feature may prove to be valuable as the digital piano can be a lifelong instrument.

Hope this helps,

PPBC

J
J
Can anyone explain me in Dutch what the "escapement" feature (of the HP-107) means?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
josto:

For me it seems to be a little added resistance enclountered as the key nears the bottom of the travel.

The salesman showed me a model of a grand piano action. I don't know the technical terms, but you can see a support piece slip out of the way before the hammer "fires".

The feel of that slipping is what Roland is trying to duplicate.

Phil

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission