Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
49 registered members (barbaram, Agent88, Beemer, EssBrace, EVC2017, Angelos58, CharlesXX, ALEXANDER DYKER, ahinton, 9 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cleaning ivory feel keys #682520
10/20/08 12:55 PM
10/20/08 12:55 PM
Gloucestershire
T
thewordbird Offline OP
thewordbird  Offline OP
T

Gloucestershire
A quick question about 'ivory feel' keys such as on the Yamaha clp 370 or Roland HP 207: does anyone know if they become stained over time, as they soak up moisture from your fingers/from the air? I think real ivory becomes stained in this way.

So do fake ivory keys stain, and if so, are they easy to get clean?

I am considering whether it is better to plump for plastic key tops rather than synthetic ivory ones. I'm imagining the plastic shiny keys would be easy to wipe, but perhaps the more grainy fake ivory ones would be more difficult as they are not so smooth.

Thanks to all.
Gill.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682521
10/23/08 04:01 PM
10/23/08 04:01 PM
Denton Texas
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member
LesCharles73  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Denton Texas
I don't think the ivory feel keys are as porous as real ivory, so they won't get stained. I find that the ivory feel is just a texture, and is only on the surface of the material, not all the way through it like real ivory. A damp rag and maybe a mild soap should be okay for cleaning these, but I would see what the manufacturer recommends first.

Les C Deal

Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682522
10/24/08 02:04 PM
10/24/08 02:04 PM
C
cloudswimmer Offline
cloudswimmer  Offline
C

Roland claims their ivory feel keys are porous.On my RD-700 GX I always wash my hands before playing, and every other day I use one of those big photo blower bulbs to blow the dust off the whole unit including keys.The idea is to not have to wipe the keys down with anything that might hurt them in the long run.OCD at its finest smile

Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682523
10/24/08 08:19 PM
10/24/08 08:19 PM
oxford UK
P
puff Offline
puff  Offline
P

oxford UK
The manual comes with a separate sheet which talks about cleaning the keys (JUST THE SOAP AND WATER THING)iT SAYS DONT MARK IT WITH FELT TIP PENS.rEADING THIS MADE ME PARANOID THAT MY (SORRY) grandchildren are gonna attack it sometime and invoke sods law.This tels me there is a degree of pouousity and not just a roughed up surface.
One thing I have noticed is that, after a few months useage the black keys seem to have become a bit less textured though.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682524
10/24/08 10:45 PM
10/24/08 10:45 PM
Denton Texas
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member
LesCharles73  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Denton Texas
Less textured as in how the most frequently used keys on my laptop are? Interesting.
Still though I don't think there is anything to worry about with the ivory-feel keys on a digital piano. Keep in mind that real ivory is an organic material that is naturally very porous. Plastic is synthetic, and while it may be heavily textured or even slightly porous, it will not have the absorption characteristics of ivory. I don't think Roland would introduce a stage piano/home piano that would eventually fall victim to yellow keys. The main things that cause ivory keys to turn yellow are oil from skin and lack of sunlight. Keeping your hands clean will go a long way, but to completely avoid the possibility, you would have to first figure out a way to keep your body from producing this natural oil. Somehow I think I'd rather risk the keys ;-)

Les C Deal

Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682525
10/25/08 10:34 AM
10/25/08 10:34 AM
C
cloudswimmer Offline
cloudswimmer  Offline
C

Makes me wonder if Roland isn't maybe using some kind of micarta on their keys.As a gun collector I own several revolvers with simulated ivory grips made of micarta, and they have yellowed with age.

Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682526
10/25/08 10:44 PM
10/25/08 10:44 PM
Denton Texas
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member
LesCharles73  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Denton Texas
Think about it this way. Do you really think your DP will be up to date when the keys finally start to go yellow (if they ever do)? That could take years. Odds are, something more awesome will have come out and you will replaced the old Roland/Yamaha.

Les C Deal

Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682527
10/26/08 06:17 PM
10/26/08 06:17 PM
C
cloudswimmer Offline
cloudswimmer  Offline
C

Yes, my RD-700 GX will definately be up to date when the keys start to yellow (if they do), just as my 76 key 18 year old Roland D70 is still up to date.From a pure sound engine stand point even the latest digital pianos are out of date compared to the latest software pianos (use Ivory and EWQL myself) so for a lot of us we bought our DP's as controllers, and as such will be up to date to the point the keys fall apart.I certainly didn't buy my Roland DP for its awesome sample set wink

Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682528
10/26/08 07:55 PM
10/26/08 07:55 PM
oxford UK
P
puff Offline
puff  Offline
P

oxford UK
Roland should have waited a while before giving us the GX What is the point of adding a new sample thats inferior to the one on the previous mode(SX)and just calling it "Expressive"!

It is a fantastic master keyboard though and the action is very playable.
I nearly went for a Kurzweil PC3x but a second hand GX came up.The guy that sold it worked in
investment banking and was woried about losing his job in the near future. (this was a few months ago) He took a £450 loss on the sale.

Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682529
10/26/08 08:14 PM
10/26/08 08:14 PM
oxford UK
P
puff Offline
puff  Offline
P

oxford UK
Back on topic - When I get around to it I think I will pop the "lid"on my GX and do a few testson the hidden part of the whit keys.Like use water and spirit based coloured felt tip pens and various solvent to remove the offending scribble.
This will at least stop me being so paranoid when my lovley twin 4 year old grandsons are in the hood!

Will be sure to report when I do this.

Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682530
10/26/08 10:21 PM
10/26/08 10:21 PM
C
cloudswimmer Offline
cloudswimmer  Offline
C

To my ears the stock SX sounded really no better than the stock GX to my ears, but again I use pretty much only software piano's these days.Of interest though this summer I saw Brian Culbertson at the Wave jazz summer series, and he was playing the GX as opposed to the SX he toured with last year.It sounded GREAT in the Newport Beach venue, and he was not triggering external samples as there were no midi connections coming off the back of the instrument.Also saw him and David Benoit at the Anaheim NAMN show last Jan. playing the GX and both sounded incredible with their jazz styles on the GX.Sans my software pianos I'd certainly be interested in the patches those guys were using.

Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682531
10/26/08 10:28 PM
10/26/08 10:28 PM
C
cloudswimmer Offline
cloudswimmer  Offline
C

Anyway back on topic-If the keys DO yellow from age, I personally think that would kinda be cool, give the instument a little character sorta :)While your at it Puff, try a little crayon in your brave testing and let us know how it goes, thats my biggest fear at this point with the little ones frown

Re: cleaning ivory feel keys #682532
10/27/08 06:13 AM
10/27/08 06:13 AM
Gloucestershire
T
thewordbird Offline OP
thewordbird  Offline OP
T

Gloucestershire
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I will go for the one I like the best feel of and sound of, and take the risk of discoloured keys in the future. I will wash my hands before playing each time and be sure to keep the dust cover on, and clean the keys regularly. Perhaps I'll keep the piano in a sealed oxygen tent, just to be sure. smile

I saw an advert on tv the other day for a dettol disinfectant spray, where a woman was spraying it directly onto her piano keys! Silly billy. I won't be doing that.

Gill.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Kawai CN37 Worth The Extra Money?
by yarinch. 11/15/18 04:05 AM
Brodmann PE 121 vs. Kawai K300
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 12:20 AM
Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 10:44 PM
Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 09:06 PM
DIGITAL PIANO "SECONDS WAITED"
by ericco. 11/14/18 06:15 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,338
Posts2,761,224
Members91,490
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission