2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Gyro:
Digital pianos would be of particular interest to pianists who want to improve. Strangely as it might seem, there are apparently many pianists who don't want to improve. They are content to play for life at the level they reached in school or lessons. This is safe and secure for them: they play what they are familiar with; they don't have to struggle with material above their level; they don't have to question whether things they were taught might be completely wrong for them; etc.
it's nonsense. the digital piano or acoustic piano has its own purpose and they are not always interchangeable. how many pro pianists you personally know anyway, Gyro? my teacher is a pro and plays on both. while he use DP for recording and practice, he always prefers to play on the best grand piano even just for practice or casual playing, because of limitation of DP on which he just cannot bring out certain things especially at the performing level. any pianist or musician knows that. so, Gyro, please ask a pro yourself, before making assumptions for pro or concert pianists.

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Why don't you shut the ___ up.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
you run out of words, Gyro, and have to be nasty now?

Alas, such are online forum discussions frown

Any close look at the difference in sensitivity between mechanical actions in grands vs. today's digital piano actions makes this discussion laughable.

Yes, silent practice is convenient and nice.
Yes, some "pros" practice on digital, though I'm rather shocked by it.
Yes, some people don't want to improve.

But the assumptions and generalizations necessary to say that dps are better to practice on, as really the only way to improve technique, are absurd.

I must remove myself from this discussion, for it is making a little bit of my soul die with each new entry.

Sincerely,
Justin

G
G
DP's are superior for developing technique??? Utter nonsense!!!

Gyro, you clearly don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

You should take your own advice!!

K
K
Looks like the last thing you need is another opinion and mine is no more than that. I'm age 62, have played since I was 6, studied piano in college, have always been just an average (to slightly below) musician and continue as such to this day. Took and completed a formal tuning and repair course so I could work on my own piano (at the time a Yamaha G2J) and do some work when I retire sometime this year. I'm getting ready to replace my current piano, a digital Technics SXPR 15 which I've played for about 12-15 years-and really have enjoyed it. So, the dilema is acoustic or digital. I've pretty much decided in favor of the digital for the following reasons. I am constantly tinkering with an acoustic. I hear a unison going bad, and fix that, always working with the regulation and voicing. Additionally, I have a pretty good ear, am bothered by a piano that is even a little out of tune. When I retire, I will be gone for as much as a month at a time and don't want to worry about temp., humidity or anything like that. Even though I play primarily classical music, I do enjoy using the other features of a digital, just for variety, even though I would buy just a pure digital piano if they made such an animal. Even though it's kind of a waste of money, I'm going to buy either the Kawai CP207 grand or the Roland KR 117 as we just built a new house 5 years ago and have a room where a grand would look really nice. As far as the sound goes, there is little to no difference between the grand and top of the line console. I think digital pianos have pretty much reached the point of being able to stand on their own now, and don't have to "hang their heads to anyone". True, the way an acoustic piano produces sound can't be exactly duplicated electronically, but for me it's close enough, and it's always perfect in pitch, sounds much better in the lower register than my Yamaha G2, the action feels great and I can practice with the headphones without making the neighborhood dogs bark or driving my wife crazy. ha One downside of a digital is that a good grand will pretty much hold its value and in many cases actually appreciate in value, whereas a digital depreciates. A good acoustic grand can actually be considered an investment-even part of your investment portfolio if you're really trying to rationalize, not to mention that in my opinion it's still "the King of the Jungle!! A person has to look at a digital as we have to look at computers-- don't worry about technology passing you by, just buy what you need and you'll be satisfied. Like anything else it's a personal decision. I apologize to the members of the forum for the long message-- thought I'd send you a private message, but thought others might like the input from someone whose played a lot on a good quality digital. Thanks everyone, I enjoy seeing all your comments and learn from them as well. Good luck Hestaman's in your search. Let us know what you end up with!
Dan

dang. just lost a long winded post I wrote. bottom line was try eBay or Craigslist. Then try LinkedIn.com or Facebook to search for Kawai dealers or salesman from your local dealerships like Guitar Center. Good luck.

PianoMagic.com student
Recordings and piano pic at: RayMetz.com/Piano
Well said - for different needs, digitals are great. But so are grands smile

R
R
SXPR15 - good post. But let's not assume this post gives any validity to anything that 'Gyro' has posted.

Especially since your point about your digital giving you good service for many years is one of his standard posts of used Digitals are like PCs.

A 5 year old Technics can hold it's own against many of today's DPs. Technics made many great DPs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission