Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
147 registered members (Antihero, AndrewJCW, Ankee, accordeur, Ajax69, Andymania, anotherscott, AlphaBravoCharlie, Animisha, alesere, 33 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680512
11/23/08 07:00 PM
11/23/08 07:00 PM
Great River, New York
flyboy01 Offline
flyboy01  Offline

Great River, New York
I am also a beginner (never played anything). I first purchased a Yamaha CLP320 and used it for about a week or two before I upgraded to a CLP330. The CLP330 is a great DP and will serve you very well. It sure has been everything I could have asked for.

If you can afford the additional cost the CLP340 would be even better - sound and ivory keys.

Best regards,
Ted

Yamaha CLP330

Alfred's Adult All-in-one Level 1
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680513
11/24/08 03:20 PM
11/24/08 03:20 PM
Braila, Romania
horheu Offline OP
horheu  Offline OP

Braila, Romania
Just wondering... the CD drive featured on the HP 203 or 204 is included on the piano or can be bought separately and attached afterwards?

I've read so many nice opinions about HP 207... unfortunately I really can't afford it. I spoke to a friend of mine (professional pianist) who lives in Paris, hopefully she will be kind to go to a music store and try the Roland HP 203 (204) and Yamaha CLP 340 (370) so I would have another advice I could count on. Right now I really lean towards the Roland, it seems to have many more features, seems to be a better learning tool and presumably a slightly better action (and sound).

It is always a bit frustrating to get a "mid-range" model knowing there are others that are much better but what can I do... I could sell a couch, a computer, 3 TV's, split my appartment with someone and then joyfully play on my brand new HP 207. I'll think about it LOL

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680514
11/25/08 05:41 AM
11/25/08 05:41 AM
UK
R
Rob_s Offline
Rob_s  Offline
R

UK
horheu,

The Roland DPs do not have a lighter action than the Yamahas. I recently spent many hours comparing them - you may be interested to read my post on the subject:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/5460.html

My post compares the HP207 with the CLP380, but I also tried the models that you are considering, and pretty much everything I said applies to these too.

My conclusion was that although I very much liked the Yamahas, the Rolands were definitely closer to the real thing, and I had much less trouble switching from a Roland to an acoustic than from a Yamaha.

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680515
11/25/08 10:10 AM
11/25/08 10:10 AM
Braila, Romania
horheu Offline OP
horheu  Offline OP

Braila, Romania
Thank you, Rob_s

I read your topic before, re-read it once more and it really helps me a lot. Since you know how to play the piano and you got the opportunity to play all these models, I really think I can count on your advice.

I received again the news that the Yamaha and HP models I look for are not available for testing in Romania, I can only order them from some dealers who would bring them in a week or so. The good news is that I finally found them available at some very attractive prices:

CLP 330 - 1.442 euros
CLP 340 - 1.750 euros
CLP 370 - 1.968 euros

HP 203 - 1.775 euros

They say Roland doesn't manufacture the HP 204 anymore and they will give me a discount for it (they have some models left), but their current price is 2600 euros! I will not pay under any circumstance more than 2.000 euros... but we'll see about that... the important thing is to make a final decision.

I'm still looking for any other useful information, hopefully Santa will make me the nicest gift ever! Looks like the new year is gonna be fascinating!

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680516
11/25/08 10:15 AM
11/25/08 10:15 AM
Windsor, United Kingdom
text Offline
text  Offline

Windsor, United Kingdom
Hi Horheu

I bought a Roland 101e from Thomann 2 years ago.

The service I received from Thomann was excellent I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Also their pricing at the time was the best I could get on the net.

I did a fair bit of research between Roland and Yamaha and do think it comes down to personal preference. I chose Roland because I liked the sound more and thought the speakers were better.

From my perspective I only bought the entry level Roland because I wanted to be sure that I would stick with the piano. I'm still going 2 years on and have not found that I have outgrown the piano.

I was not looking for any bells an whistles and thus the 101e was fine for me.

I am looking at buying a smaller acoustic grand at some point in the near future. In actual fact I do not think anybody using either a Yamaha or a Roland would have huge difficulty in moving to an acoustic, personally I think that just come down to practice.

cheers

Text

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680517
11/25/08 11:27 AM
11/25/08 11:27 AM
B
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Bob Newbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B

Rob s: Since you purchased a Roland HP 207 you say its the closest to an acoustic..question is which one? as actions are diffrent on acoustics..
it would be helpful to know this..

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680518
11/25/08 12:57 PM
11/25/08 12:57 PM
UK
R
Rob_s Offline
Rob_s  Offline
R

UK
Bob,

I tested a whole range of acoustic pianos, both uprights and grands, over the course of a few days. Some of the brands I tried were Yamaha (most of their range), Bechstein, Bösendorfer, Petrof, Feurich, and others. In particular, I was interested in how easily I adapted to the action after spending an hour or so playing either the HP-207 or the CLP-380.

Though there is indeed quite a bit of variation between all the different acoustic pianos, I consistantly found the transition from the HP-207 to the acoustic easier than from the CLP-380, specifically with regard to very rapid playing (I mainly used Chopin and Liszt as my test pieces). I did really enjoy playing the CLP-380, I actually found it easier to play than any of the acoustic pianos and the HP-207. It almost seemed as if it were hiding flaws in my technique that were showing up on both the 207 and the acoustic pianos. The trouble is, it's transferable skill that I am most concerned about - if there are problems with my technique, I need to know about them!

There are more details in this thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/5460.html

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680519
11/26/08 05:54 PM
11/26/08 05:54 PM
B
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Bob Newbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B

Rob: The question still remains..when is it the piano or the player?..imagine the piano technician saying..Mr Horowitz the piano's fine..
it must be your technique? laugh laugh

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680520
11/27/08 02:12 AM
11/27/08 02:12 AM
J
JoeRan Offline
JoeRan  Offline
J

Please see a review of the best digital pianos at:

http://www.onefamilysblog.com/2008/11/featureprice-comparison-of-best-digital.html

Hope this helps!

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680521
11/27/08 04:40 AM
11/27/08 04:40 AM
UK
R
Rob_s Offline
Rob_s  Offline
R

UK
Bob,

Yes, I spent a while agonising over whether it was me or the piano at fault! If the only acoustic pianos I was ever going to encounter were top end concert grands with lightning fast actions, then I wouldn't have worried so much. But in reality that's probably only occasionally going to happen (unless I suddenly become rich), so I need my technique to work well on as broad a range of pianos as possible.

So, reluctantly, I felt I had to choose the piano that forced me to play in a way that worked more universally, rather than the one that I found easiest to play.

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680522
12/16/08 03:20 PM
12/16/08 03:20 PM
Braila, Romania
horheu Offline OP
horheu  Offline OP

Braila, Romania
Finally... I've decided on the Roland HP 203 (about 1800 euros). Although I never had the chance to try it, I am confident it is the best choice under 2000 euros. It should arrive in about 2 weeks. Can't wait!!!

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680523
12/18/08 05:55 AM
12/18/08 05:55 AM
Bucharest
A
Adilaz Offline
Adilaz  Offline
A

Bucharest
Horheu,

Please let us know your thoughts about the HP 203 as soon as you get it. I want purchase a new DP these days and I've come close to a CLP-370 deal (found it in stock for 1950 EUR in Bucharest).

Good luck!

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680524
12/18/08 08:43 AM
12/18/08 08:43 AM
Braila, Romania
horheu Offline OP
horheu  Offline OP

Braila, Romania
So far I've done endless researches trying to find out what to choose between Roland HP 203 and Yamaha Clavinova CLP 370. Although the Yamaha has better speakers and ivory feel keyboards, I think that the fact that it lacks string resonance is more important. I will tell you what I think about the Roland as soon as I will get it (apparently in the first days of the new year) but I must say that I don't have any experience with piano playing and my opinion will not necesarily be relevant. I am almost certain that I will be very enthusiastic about my piano. I already am smile Only those who tried both pianos can make a relevant comparison... but I will be happy to help in any way.

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680525
01/02/09 01:57 AM
01/02/09 01:57 AM
Bucharest
A
Adilaz Offline
Adilaz  Offline
A

Bucharest
After two months of digging the Internet for DP reviews and opinions,I ended up ordering the HP203.
The HP203 should be coming next week but I can't wait for that day.

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680526
01/04/09 04:41 PM
01/04/09 04:41 PM
Braila, Romania
horheu Offline OP
horheu  Offline OP

Braila, Romania
I am in the same situation and I can't wait to have the piano delivered. Being a beginner, I don't think that the speaker system (which is supposed to be not that great) will stop me from enjoying playing it. I intend to play many hours using headphones, so since the sound on the HP 203 is similar to the HP 207, I hope I will be happy with my choice.

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680527
01/05/09 05:19 AM
01/05/09 05:19 AM
Bucharest
A
Adilaz Offline
Adilaz  Offline
A

Bucharest
You will definetly enjoy your HP203. I am a beginer myself, bought my first keyboard on year ago (Yamaha DGX-620) and I soon figured out that althought it is not a bad product there are too many shortcomings than I can live with. Too bad there is no place in Bucharest where you can actually test Roland DPs (Korg C540 and some entry-level Clavonivas are available though).
As for the speaker system on HP203, I believe that it will suffice. If not, I rather prefer to invest in external amp&speakers.

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680528
01/05/09 06:17 AM
01/05/09 06:17 AM
Caldas da Rainha, Portugal
S
sebwin Offline
sebwin  Offline
S

Caldas da Rainha, Portugal
Since it appears there are people participating in this thread with knowledge of the CLP series, allow me to point you to a question/observation I posted about the sample- (and thus sound-) quality (or possibly the lack there of) of precisely those instruments, specifically the CLP 340.

My advice before buying: try the instrument. Take some head phones to a dealer and "hear the piano out". Test keys individually to make sure they sound right to you.

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680529
01/05/09 09:48 AM
01/05/09 09:48 AM
Braila, Romania
horheu Offline OP
horheu  Offline OP

Braila, Romania
Of course everyone would like to try out these pianos before buying one. But unfortunately in Romania they aren't available anywhere. So the only solution (the one me and Adilaz adopted) is to read as many reviews as you can and finally hope you've made the right choice. Anyway, it is hard to believe that digital pianos in the 2000$ range could be very dissapointing (at least that's what I hope lol), the rest is just a matter of taste.

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680530
01/05/09 09:55 AM
01/05/09 09:55 AM
Braila, Romania
horheu Offline OP
horheu  Offline OP

Braila, Romania
My main problem now is choosing a decent pair of headphones... and it's really not that easy. Everything under 100$ seems totally unapropriate. I've read some interesting opinions on this forum and the Sennheiser HD555 (which would probably be my choice in the end) doesn't seem to be so spectacular. I'm not looking for something that will blow my mind away but I also don't want to have any problems considering the fact that I will play with headphones most of the time. But for something decent enough, I hope they will work.

Re: purchase of a digital piano - maybe Yamaha CLP 330? #680531
01/05/09 02:22 PM
01/05/09 02:22 PM
H
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Horwinkle  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H

Originally posted by horheu:
My main problem now is choosing a decent pair of headphones... and it's really not that easy. Everything under 100$ seems totally unapropriate.
I had a similar problem (finally solved when my daughter bought me a Beyerdynamic DTX-700 for Christmas).

I find that, yes, the cheap phones suck. But you can get decent phones for $100, or a bit less.

I very much prefer the open style phones. They're more comfortable and generally sound better.

But I also find that a graphic equalizer helps ... a lot. I picked one up on ebay for $10 ... a 10-band Teac model. Works great. I feed the DP aux out to the EQ, and that output goes to one of those all-in-one stereo units. I plug in the phones there. (With the phones unplugged, it drives a pair of conventional stereo speakers.)

I have a Yamaha CLP-240. It's bass heavy when played through the internal speakers, or through the external rig. But the phones need a little bass boost, and the EQ solves that.

They also need some treble boost. Of course, that will depend on which phones you use. But, of all the phones I've tried, I found they all needed some treble boost. Maybe that's because I'm old! (Well, I'm not old, but my ears are.) smile

The hard part is picking out a set of phones without being able to try them! Few stores are willing to let you try. And that's on top of the difficulty of finding a store with any phones worth considering! My sympathies for your situation. I was there in October. And November. And December! frown

You can try online, odd thought that may seem! Some online dealers will accept returns (even refunding the shipping!) if you order phones and then decide you don't like them. B&H in New York is one. Amazon is another (but make sure you're buying from Amazon, not from one of the many dealers who sell **through** the Amazon web site ... the product listing will tell you).

BTW, I tried the Senn 555. I didn't like the sound at all ... quite disappointing. But note that I didn't have the EQ at that time ... they might sound better with an EQ. Also, I fried those phones in one day! DPs can generate some heavy bass! That's what fried the phones. All in all I'm pretty down on Sennheiser. That's why I put the Beyer's on my Christmas with list.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoworld site
by Jitin. 11/11/19 02:39 PM
Used K.Kawai GE-20
by Bigal87. 11/11/19 01:46 PM
Update on My Casio GP-500
by Tenor1. 11/11/19 11:55 AM
Piano made from 17 cellphones...
by camperbc. 11/11/19 08:18 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,018
Posts2,889,666
Members94,935
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission