2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
This is my third week on the search for a digital piano. I currently have an eye on P140 and my other eye on YDP160 which I haven't tried yet. Today I went an authorized yamaha dealer store in the area. I have to say it's a bit intimidating. :p A self-taught newbie walking though all the shiny acoustic upright and grand pianos with a budget of 2,000 bucks in her (tiny) hands.

Anyway, they don't carry YDP series. But I had a chance to play CLP220, CLP230, CLP280 and also "touched" their uprights and grand pianos in the store. (There is a moment I wish I lived there.) I didn't try any CVP series though.

So here is what I think about CLP 2xx series.

CLP220 - I don't plan to buy this after reading a lot of posts here. :rolleyes: I am not a fan of its control panel. But the main issue is that I feel the keys are "very sticky" when I press and release them. I think I feel the same way with YDP140 as well.

CLP230 - (priced at $2,100) The key action is not as "sticky" as CLP220. I feel just okay with it. I actually want to try 240 but it was not there for some reasons. (priced at $2,700 That's like from 2 years ago! But they offer Ebony finish at the same price as other finishes.)

CLP280 - I shouldn't have tried it. The natural wood action is great. It's light and responds fairly quickly. I love it. It's almost similar to the acoustic ones I have tried. I didn't bother to ask about the price since I know it's well beyond my budget. (Can't they just make a cheaper digital with NW and one grand piano voice ?)

I have to admit that now I would love to own the acoustic one. whome (That's why I said "I'm almost spoiled." up there.) The echoing (sustaining?) sound just amazes me. But I live in a condo, love to have all the windows opened all the time and usually practice late at night. So it might not work out so well.

Back to reality....
My budget is about $1,000-$2,000. $2k is already a stretch. Don't want to break the bank or take 2nd mortgage just for a "paino!" eek (I wish I could take out from the retirement plan though. laugh )

I plan to check their other store if they have CLP240 on display. Just want to hear and feel it. The price is probably the same. frown I guess my final options are down to P140 and YDP160. (I haven't done as much research on other brands but did try a few.)

Here are a couple questions I have.

I wonder if the "key-off sample" and the "stereo sustain" really makes P140 sound different from YDP160. (Anyone notice ?)

Another question is about my "sticky" feeling toward the keys. Is that the same thing when people say it's heavy ? And does some acoustic pianos really feel like this ?

If there is anything you guys think I overlook, please let me know. Or I already thought too much ? (You can tell me to stop.)

Sorry it's a bit long. Thanks all in advance.

TinyHands

“Brick walls are there for a reason, they let us prove how badly we want something.“ - Randy Pausch

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Hi TinyHands, Bear in mind that the CLP 2xx series is being replaced by the CLP 3xx series, so there will probably be some heavy discounting on the former to make way for the new stock, that's what happened here in the UK.

I recently heard a CLP 240 being played by a concert pianist in a large auditorium and the sound was very impressive, but that's from a listeners view I'm not sure what it's like to play though, i.e. the touch.

OP Offline
Yeah, I know that they're being replaced. That's why I decided to try all of them now before there is nothing left. :p I hope there will be a big sale during Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I just can't believe this is the only one authorized Yamaha dealer in DC area.

Thanks for ensuring me that CLP240 sounds great. laugh

TinyHands

“Brick walls are there for a reason, they let us prove how badly we want something.“ - Randy Pausch

A
A
Hi,

Are you set on a Yamaha?
Since key feel is important to you, you might want to check the Kawai CAX1, they all have wooden keys (awa grand pro II).

OP Offline
No, I am not totally set on Yamaha. I would say just 80%. :p But mainly just because I do most of my research on their product and my current keyboard/accessories are Yamaha. I guess I have to broaden my search (and research.) smile

Just happen that I plan to take a lesson soon so it would be nice to find a dp. If not, I just talk to the teacher to work this out.

Ugh...I shouldn't have touched those acoustic pianos. Really!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out. smile

TinyHands
(*) ps. Look like price for CAx1 series is over my budget. I guess I should check CE200 ?

(*) added

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I was like you and thought only Yamaha could offer what I want, but after testing out other brands, I'm now in the process of ordering a Roland HP-207. Its touch is far superior to anything Yamaha has to offer (IMHO, of course).

Just offering my anecdote as evidence that there's more out there than just one brand. wink

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
Hi TinyHands,
I don't think I have much to offer here. I have a P140 and I love it. I prefer playing it to my acoustic.
I thought the P140 had been discontinued though? Because I bought it a year ago and the person I bought it through (one of my teachers at school) said he thought I was getting a discount because it was about to be replaced with something else (possibly the other yamaha model you mentioned?).

I prefer my yamaha to any of the Rolands I've played (they were good upper range ones, but I can't tell you the model numbers) but it's just personal opinion. The teacher I bought it through thought I was mad to go for the yamaha over the Roland. The Roland was actualy meant to be far more expensive but he was getting a MASSIVE discount because he filled out a questionarre for Roland, though. I didn't like that the Roland didn't have inbuilt speakers.

I don't think I was much help there. But if you go for the yamaha - I don't think you'll be disappointed.
x

OP Offline
Hi Strat,
I've just learnt my lesson that there is other brands out there too. :p I don't even think I researched this much when I bought my car! Your HP-207 has a lot of features for the grand piano. smile

Hi PandO,
Really, thanks for sharing your experience. P140 is still my first choice at this moment. (I just need to try it again....I start forgetting how it feels.) I like its sound and don't care much about the speaker size.

I went to a different store today, planning to try Kawai CE200 and other CAx1 models however the rep said they got rid of Kawai. ( eek huh ?) I guess they haven't updated their website or informed Kawai. Now I have no idea where I can try CE200 because they're the only dealer on the list in this area.

So I am a bit disappointed. (And on top of that the rep didn't impress me that much.) The only model under $2k is Roland PT3100, priced at $1,899. I wasn't recognized the model when I was there. But after did a bit search when I got back, it looks like it's HP103 special edition. Overall it's just so so to me. I do prefer their key actions than "sticky" one from CLP lower model. But for some reasons it just doesn't click me. I don't think I would like to spend that much on it. Maybe I wasn't as happy as I was yesterday.

I'll keep trying and searching. smile Better go practice with my YPT now. Thanks all.

TinyHands

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
An acoustic piano would be nice under ideal
conditions: big house, tons of money for
expert maintenance. But the realities
of owning an acoustic are sobering:
you'll need to get it tuned at least
twice a year, and tunings are about $150
each; you'll have to deal with tuners,
and some of these people are rude and/or
incompetent; acoustic pianos weigh a ton,
and you'll need movers just to get it
into, and out of, your house; acoustic pianos
can be heard a block away, and so they
are out of the question for an apt.,
condo, or townhouse; they need frequent
repair for things like stuck keys and
buzzing strings; the tuning pins are
held in place by friction only in a wood
pin block, and if they start to slip in
their holes it's big trouble.

The CLP-280 is very impressive, but you
pay for that, around $4000. You should
realize that you can get a good, new
dp for $600 to $900. Such a piano
will have grand piano-like sound and
action--not as smooth and sophisticated
as a CLP-280, but adequate for any kind of
piano playing. My current dp cost $900,
and my previous one was $700, and they've
both been satisfactory, and I've used them
to work on the most difficult classical
repertoire like concertos and so forth.

F
F
:throttle:

:strangle:

Will
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
TinyHands, the CE200 is typically stocked by the larger music store chains such as Sam Ash and Musician's Friend.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Slightly off topic here but -
Gyro,
I think I have buzzing strings. What would I expect to pay to get one repaired and would a piano tuner be able to do the job? I have an upright, not a grand btw.
Cheers. x

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
When I was a child taking lessons, I played
on an acoustic, and buzzing strings were a
common problem. I don't know exactly
how they were handled, since my parents
took care of stuff like that way back then. But
the same person who does the tuning would
probably handle such repairs, and since tunings
are about $150 each, I would guess that
repairs like this would be in approximately
the same price range.

OP Offline
I managed to find another store that carries Kawai CAx1. Unfortunately they don't have CE200 but since CAx1 use the same key action technology so I gave them a try anyway.

The model I tried was CA51. I really really like the feel and the action! (eek!) I prefer its front control panel than the side one on YDP (which I still haven't had a chance to try.) However I am not so excited by the sound. frown There are some I am okay with. They just don't give me the same impression I got when I first hear the Grand Piano sound (and other piano sound) from P140.

But since I am a beginner I don't trust the sound from the pieces I play that much. laugh So I went to PW ABF's recitals, listen to the pieces played on these two models. I have to say l still prefer P140 sound especially the high pitch range. Not many from CE200. (Where are you guys ? :p )

So I think I am going to digest all the information. Compare gives&takes. Try these two models again. You should see my post on "Digital "price paid" reports" thread in a couple weeks.

Thank you very much for all the advice and opinions. Any thoughts and suggestions are still welcome. I'll keep checking this post. Labor Day weekend is gone without much practice. (T_T) But I hope I have used it wisely. smile

TinyHands

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey tiny hands,

Not sure if you have a guitar center or sam ash in your area. They do carry yamahas, they don't carry the clavinovas or acoustic but they carry everything else.

I just did a little looking around. Looks like you have a wide variety for an hour and a half drive.

There's a Sam Ash 92 miles from you. You might want to take a look at their Inventory at samash.com. they also have a guitar center in richmond as well.

here's the samash page on digital pianos

http://www.samash.com/catalog/categ...p;departmentid=3&sourcetype=deptnav3

and here's guitar center

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Digital-Pianos-Keyboards.gc

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
OP Offline
Wow Oxfords Gal. Thanks for spending time helping me!

I do have 2 Guitar Centers in the area. I went to both of them a couple weeks ago. However there is a big local music store giving me a better price on P140 which after tax it is gonna be similar to one on the internet. (So I'd better support the local store heh ? smile )

I did look at Sam Ash location on their website after jmbattle mentioned about CE200. Yeah it's about 100 miles from where I live. After driving around the town to visit several piano stores these 3 days I am sort of drained so I decide not to go that far. The local store I went to try CA51 is just about 20 miles away so I decided to go there instead.

I am listening to a piece from Recital#9 by TThomas (Tina) which is played w/ P140. I am in awe right now. It sounds amazing. If I could only play that well........

Maybe I should just go back to my pianica. hee hee. laugh

Thanks again. I do appreciate it.

TinyHands

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
haha TH, glad you're almost there. No don't go back to the pianica, you're doing brilliantly. laugh

Quite a few people use software and use the voices on the software. For example one of our guys here on the forum uses software (I guess he attaches his keyboard to the computer) and uses a bosendorfer grand voice to record his. Not sure if it's the case with Tina, but that's something else to think about.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
That's what I do. I bought a YDP-635 originally & am using Synthogy Ivory. Though it sounds fantastic, it wasn't cheap : about $500 for the software alone.

The Roland HP-207 will have much better touch which will simulate a piano.

I'm thinking of purchasing Eats/West Quantum Leap Pianos, which is $450 and, if all the different piano models are installed, it takes 253 gigs! Yes, you read right! LOL!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Strat:
That's what I do. I bought a YDP-635 originally & am using Synthogy Ivory. Though it sounds fantastic, it wasn't cheap : about $500 for the software alone.
Wow - you guys are getting screwed in Canada smile It's less than $300 in the US.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
A lot of companies don't allow the export of their products beyond the borders of whichever country is being provided said product.

So a US-distributed product can't be export to, say, Canada. Hopefully, that same rule doesn't apply to East/West, the makers of Quantum Leap Pianos, because I've been seriously itching to get myself a copy. Unfortunately, the cheapest I could find was $450 CDN. I doubt there's a better price in the US for it, considering the avertised price on their own website is $450 US.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission