2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#679068 12/08/07 03:25 PM
E
E
Daren,
Congrats. I'd be very interested to know how many new Yamaha, Kawai, etc owners actually did a side-by-side comparison with the Roland HP-207 (or FP-7 or 203 or RG-3) as you did. The Roland seems most realistic to me.

#679069 12/08/07 04:53 PM
Hi,

Droah, mine Ab5 is ok but I'm concerned about two other sounds that is A#1 and F3.

The first one A#1 has some kind of ringing colour and differs in tone colour from neighbour sounds. It is not heard when playing piano, it can be heard when playing a little louder.

The F3 also differs from other keys. I'm not sure how to describe it but it seems to be a little more open than other sounds. It's like "qua", I could compare it to a duck's "qua". When I play for instance Chopin's valse op.69 no.2 where this note is often being struck in chords it comes forward from those chords and it is heard too loudly which annoys me a bit.

I tried many options, equalizers, tuning, dynamics etc... I tried to change the position of the piano to minimize those differences but I could do nothing.

Have you noticed anything similar?

I also have the piano in a small room (3.5m x 4.5m) with slanting cailing in half and the piano stands by the wall. The factory settings were not good for me. The bass was too boosted and the middle part was muffled so I made an equalizer changes to the following:

High gain: +5
High freq: 8k
High mid gain: +1
High mid freq: 400
High mid q: 0,5
Low Mid gain: 0
Low mid freq: 200
Low mid q: 2
Low gain: -4
Low freq: 100

and now it's much better.
I set the touch to Light, offset to +8 and the lid to 3. It seems to be ok for me smile

#679070 12/16/07 12:02 PM
D
D
Originally posted by adrenalic:
HP207 wins.
My wife convinced me to get a console piano rather than a stage piano for home. this Piano is heavy, but worth every penny. My kids who I originally bought it for them been on it every day since I got it a week ago. Hopefully it will continue to attract them. sound and feel are amazing. I have a question tho. I connected my laptop to it and it works great. Do I need a CD drive or a floppy drive anymore, since I can play and record from/to the laptop?. is there any other use for the other equipment or is it a waste of money?.
I have an external slim USB DVD drive connecting to the front USB port. It is very convenient to us since my son's piano teacher requires daily practices and listening to songs on CDs. It occupies little space and looks elegant on the top of the piano (only 5"x5"x0.8" in sizes), it is there all the times, and it is cheap (US$70 from an online store).

#679071 12/23/07 02:59 PM
D
D
Ive now had my hp207 for a week and i cant stop playing.Its outstanding,it feels and sounds like its alive and it really is a big improvement over the hp107,very glad I went for this one.

Just to say thankyou to this thread for helping me to make the right choice.

Thanks
Daz

#679072 03/13/08 08:40 AM
J
J
Originally posted by droah:
hi

...certain keys esp Ab5,if you strike it fairly hard and esp staccato, there is an
unpleasant sound accompanying the note -difficult to describe,like an echo.....
Anyone of you notice this?
Yes, definitely. I hear it too.
I am convinced this is a sampling error. When they sampled the Steinway they used for the samples, likely this key had the flaw you are describing.
some strange undesirable resonance...
So the flaw got recorded, and now part of the sample set.
They sample at multiple velocity levels, so there is 3 or 5 samples per key ( I forget how many exactly). The flaw is only present in the top 1 or 2 samples.
IMHO Roland should fix this. It would be easy enough for them to reflash the samples. I was tempted to report it to Roland but was not sure how to convincingly articulate the issue. Maybe record the sound and send it to them.

Best wishes..

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
#679073 03/17/08 05:24 AM
A
A
Dear frydrych and jorghi,

Have you updated the firmware on your piano?

I have installed v1.7 on it and and don't listen these errors, maybe they were fixed.

As I did as soon as I purchased it, I can't tell you if it corrects that samples, but could be.

In Roland US you will find the update, and with an USB stick is easy to do.

Best wishes,

Andres.

#679074 08/08/08 11:30 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
How can you update the firmware? Went on Roland's website and can't find any firmware upgrades.

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
#679075 08/08/08 11:48 AM
They sample at multiple velocity levels, so there is 3 or 5 samples per key ( I forget how many exactly).
Jorghi, about ROLAND HP for your information:

- 3 level sampling for EVERY note/key for the HP-201

- 4 level sampling for EVERY note/key for the HP-203, 204 (Europe) and 207

wink

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
#679076 01/04/09 12:27 PM
C
C
I just got an HP-207. What a beautiful machine. I've been playing around extensively for the past week, and I came across a quirk. I'm wondering if it is just mine, or all HP-207s.

If I play and hold any of the bottom 8 notes, (A0 - E1) and while holding down that key, play a second note exactly two octaves higher (for instance A0 + A2 ) the second note doesn't get played. The same is true in reverse (holding down A2, then attempting to play A0)

Also along these lines, (and this is how I stumbled across it) if I play the two notes at the exact same time, sometimes I hear both notes, but more often I hear only the lower note as if I pounded on the key.

Has anyone else noticed this?

#679077 01/05/09 01:05 PM
S
S
What I don't like with this DP is the way the escapement simulation works : on a real piano, when you start to feel the hardness of the escapement when depressing slowly a key you can still finish the move by pressing quickly and the hammer will moderately hit the string.

But whith the Roland it doesn't act like that, you won't get any sound. So what is the purpose of this escapement ? Other DPs of other brands act the same, it seems that the point of the key travel where you will get no sound is too much near the top.

What's your opinion about it ?

#679078 01/10/09 06:30 PM
D
D
Originally posted by chris77:
I just got an HP-207. What a beautiful machine. I've been playing around extensively for the past week, and I came across a quirk. I'm wondering if it is just mine, or all HP-207s.

If I play and hold any of the bottom 8 notes, (A0 - E1) and while holding down that key, play a second note exactly two octaves higher (for instance A0 + A2 ) the second note doesn't get played. The same is true in reverse (holding down A2, then attempting to play A0)

Also along these lines, (and this is how I stumbled across it) if I play the two notes at the exact same time, sometimes I hear both notes, but more often I hear only the lower note as if I pounded on the key.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I have an HP-207. I have tried what you have described but didn't seem to have the problems. You probably should call for Roland's warranty service to take a look.

#679079 01/10/09 06:40 PM
D
D
Originally posted by sieg66:
What I don't like with this DP is the way the escapement simulation works : on a real piano, when you start to feel the hardness of the escapement when depressing slowly a key you can still finish the move by pressing quickly and the hammer will moderately hit the string.

But whith the Roland it doesn't act like that, you won't get any sound. So what is the purpose of this escapement ? Other DPs of other brands act the same, it seems that the point of the key travel where you will get no sound is too much near the top.

If you need the true feeling of the escapement but practicing without disturbing others using a headset, you probably should get a silent piano, acoustic piano with silencing mechanism and digital sound producer, such as Yamaha's C1S, but will cost you at least 5 times more than a high end digital piano.

#679080 01/10/09 07:32 PM
Originally posted by sieg66:

The GH3 on my Yamaha don't have this problem and works like a grand piano. That is because it uses three sensors for each key.

Peace.

/Richard

S
S
Hi guys
I have been playing piano for 1 year, and I want to buy a new one. I'm a little bit confused. DP-990, and Hp 207 seem perfect for me, but HP 207 seem too advanced for me. Can anyone help me with this?

Sia_Mac #1165736 03/20/09 08:38 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Well, you could get an HP-203. That's similar but minus a few features and it's quite a bit cheaper. Or just go ahead and get an HP-207, if you like it. You won't be sorry and even 1 year of studies is enough to benefit from having a good-quality instrument. Why sell yourself short?

Geoffk #1165792 03/20/09 10:35 AM
B
BK1 Offline
B
Originally Posted by Geoffk
Or just go ahead and get an HP-207, if you like it. You won't be sorry and even 1 year of studies is enough to benefit from having a good-quality instrument. Why sell yourself short?

Agreed. A DP is a computer facsimile of an acoustic instrument, so the way I see it, the more it's like the real thing, the greater its value. More realistic feel, more realistic sound, greater durability -- these are the things that are worth paying for in a DP, and these features benefit beginners and experienced players alike.

Also, don't dismiss the "feels good to me" factor. The better you feel with a musical instrument, the more comfortable you are, the more likely you are to continue practicing and playing.

When I buy my next DP, which may well be an HP-207, it's for the long term. The pain of spending a few more dollars now will be forgotten shortly, but the piano will be with me for years. My current DP I've had since 1994(!).

BK1 #1168552 03/25/09 12:15 PM
S
S
Thanks guys. That really helped.Im probably gonna buy 207.

Sia_Mac #1169468 03/26/09 09:57 PM
Before I decided and bought the HP207 I had a terrible time choosing what to buy. All I can say is that now I am a happy owner of a DP that behaves beautifully and asks me to play more than I can reasonably afford. No regrets here! I think it is a great instrument and, for me, a source of joy and happiness. I would buy it again.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Formerly 1WeekPlayer. Currently practicing:
- Arabesque 1. Debussy
- Wiener Urtext Primo collection
http://www.youtube.com/mcasl
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission