2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I was thinking about getting a setup for recording piano music, and a friend suggested I get a computer, a midi controller (after I'm done here I'm going to Guitar Center in La Mesa, CA, to try a few), and a good sound sample setup, and he suggested the East West Bosendorfer 290.

I know about the Purgatory Creek Piano Shootout page, and I downloaded several samples from there. From what I can tell, I liked a Fazioli 10' grand best, but I'm wondering where I can find a good one that has every note sampled, no looping, multiple velocity samples, and pedal down/up samples? Or, where can I find some other good samples of other instruments? If possible, I'd like to listen to demos of them, then maybe discuss them with my dad / friend, and decide what / if we want to buy something.

(note: I was originally considering getting a Casio PX-555r.)

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In terms of piano samples, Synthogy Ivory seems to be the best bet. It's a bit expensive, however. You should take into consideration that they've announced a new addition of Fazioli grand to the library in second half of the year.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
Ivory is very good, but I don't think it gives you the most "realistic" sound. To me they sound like a very well processed piano sounds from a pop CD recording.

For more live organic sound, I prefer Art Vista Virtual Grand Piano.

Also take a look at Sampletak The Big One (TBO).

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
According to MusiciansFriend.com, that Italian piano addon is scheduled to be available today. That one looks promising, but it would help if I could hear some audio samples. Do you know where I could hear samples of it? The website (Synthology) has samples of the Bosendorfer 290, Steinway D, and Yamaha C7 (why isn't it a CFIIIs?), but I haven't found a sample of the Fazioli F308.

Another piano whose sound I really like is the Klavins upright , but unfortunately I don't know of any software synth version of it. frown

One thing I noticed is that the Klavins upright and the Fazioli concert grand, both pianos whose sound I really like, have Abel hammers in them. I wonder what David Rubenstein's R-371 would sound like with Abels? (I think it has Renner hammers, and while the bass is quite impressive, the midrange and treble (although it is quite nice) IMO isn't QUITE as pleasing to my ear as the Fazioli or Klavins.)

That Art Vista didn't impress me all that much. frown

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
As for piano sample library software, one I'm considering (especially when the Fazioli add-on is available) is Synthogy's "Ivory", which includes a Steinway D, Bosendorfer 290, and Yamaha C7. A couple others I've looked at are Acoustik Piano, which has a D, 290, Bechstein D-280, Steingraeber 138, and East West Bosendorfer 290.

Are there any suggestions for other software packages I should look into? I currently only need piano sounds right now, although I may want to expand in the future and add other instruments, like drums and guitars, and others, in the future.
I would like to get one that offers as many different 9-foot-plus pianos as reasonably possible, but ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT would be a Fazioli F-308.
Requirements include every note on the piano sampled with multiple velocity samples pedal up and pedal down, with no sample looping. I haven't talked yet to my dad about pricing, but I'm hoping we can swing a few hundred $ for this, plus about $500 for a midi controller with weighted keys, and we also will need to get a laptop (for portability reasons) computer with decent specs (I was pricing a few custom-built major brands, and it looks like we're easily talking $2000 for the laptop).

Other pianos I'd really like to have as a sample library are David Rubenstein's 12-foot grand, and David Klavins' 12-foot upright. (I ESPECIALLY love the tone of that piano from the clip on his website, btw, for mf playing. I'd want something with more sizzle / punch / ultrabrightness / etc. for ff playing. Most Bosendorfers and Steinways I've played / heard have been too dull.)

Originally posted by 88Key_PianoPlayer:

That Art Vista didn't impress me all that much. frown
88key,

What was your impression? Have you listened to this demo?
http://www.artvista.net/VGP%20Demos/VGP_Improvisation_Demo.mp3

I think if you compare Art Vista with other sampled pianos, you will be disappointed. (that was my first reaction when someone pointed out Art Vista to me when I was about to buy Ivory).

But if you compare it with a REAL grand piano, I personally think Art Vista is the closest to a real piano.

If you like well recorded piano sounds that you so often hear on non-jazz and non-classical radios and CDs, then you probably won't like Art Vista (because none of those piano sounds on radios are real pianos, or heavily compressed or EQ'd)

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Let's see... on the first part of the demo... that's NOT the sound I'm looking for, and some of the piano sounds a bit "dead" or whatever the word I'm looking for is. It's way too mellow, but does start improving a very tiny bit when he plays a little lounder. Also, it's a bit out of tune. Another thing is the low bass doesn't have the clarity and resonance that I want. (note: some Steinway D's (8'11" - this is a B (6'11") in the recording) don't have good enough low bass for my taste.)
Yes, it's quite close to many real Steinway B's I've played, but then, I don't like the sound of Steinway B's I've played. I remember a Fazioli F278 I played in VA several years ago that really sang to me, though!

M
M
I realise this thread is a bit old (!)...

Just thought I'd mention the Schimmel Braunshweig Upright, as a very life-like piano, seeing as no one has mentioned it already:

http://www.imperfectsamples.com/website/samples/braunschweig/braunschweiguprightpiano.php

(and yes, I made it!) smile

For life-like pianos, you should definitely go for either the alta vista or imperfect samples

M
M
PS- by alta vista, I mean their Malmsjo Grand.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
An old thread revisited, but here goes anyways.

I found this link off Synthogy's site:
http://www.try-sound.com/index2.asp?plg=iv_grand&slng=en

I have not tried it yet, but it sounds like a good idea for trying out some of the samples like Ivory that do not have a lot of trial versions already available.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission