Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (astrotoy, Beemer, akc42, Alex Hutor, Animisha, Bett, 20 invisible), 1,360 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
*Reasonable* Clavinova Dealer in NYC area #677844
01/07/08 12:48 PM
01/07/08 12:48 PM
New York
captaz Offline OP
captaz  Offline OP

New York
Is anyone familiar with a reasonable Clavinova dealer in the New York City area (or one willing to ship there at a reasonable price). I was quoted $6500 (net) for a CLP-280 P.E. by the F&C's on 57th, which seems to be a good $1000+ more than anyone has paid on the "prices paid" thread.

"I seek not for power but to pull it down."
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: *Reasonable* Clavinova Dealer in NYC area #677845
01/07/08 12:59 PM
01/07/08 12:59 PM
J. Mark Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J. Mark  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't think there are any other dealers in the area besides F&C. I think that's the whole point of territorial controls, no? Annoying, isn't it?

OTOH, I can tell you that my personal experience is that the F&C in Westchester is both better stocked and more friendly. To be expected perhaps, but it is a completely different kind of experience going to the one up here. I don't know what the pricing would be like (may be the same, I don't know), but you will have to come up here to find out, I imagine (another part of Yamaha's little system of controls -- you can't get pricing on the phone).

Brian Lee, who is a regular here, is a manager for F&C, and I think he still works in the Westchester store. Very nice guy, and a straight shooter. I would try to find out when he is in if you were coming up.

Re: *Reasonable* Clavinova Dealer in NYC area #677846
01/07/08 01:05 PM
01/07/08 01:05 PM
G
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Gyro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
G

This is of course a fine piano, but $5500 is
a brobdingnagian amount to pay for a digital
piano today when you can get a good one
for less than $1000, for example, the
Casio PX-700 ($500 to $700), PX-800 ($700
to $900), etc. For example, my digital,
a Korg SP-250 lightweight console, was
$900 online, and it serves well for playing
anything, including concertos.

Re: *Reasonable* Clavinova Dealer in NYC area #677847
01/07/08 01:13 PM
01/07/08 01:13 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Lexington, Kentucky
NYC businesses have a much higher overhead than average, and they have to pass that on to consumers. I would also take the "price paid" thread reports with a grain of salt. I imagine there's a bit of a subtle pressure to post very good deals only. If you paid a lot more, you might be unwilling to have the whole forum know what a lousy negotiator you are laugh , so I could understand people choosing not to post higher prices in it.

In short, I think there are several possible, good reasons why the price you were quoted on the CLP is higher than you saw on that thread. The question is whether you are happy with the piano and think it is good value for you. What other people claim to have paid for it in other areas of the country is much less relevant.

Re: *Reasonable* Clavinova Dealer in NYC area #677848
01/07/08 01:40 PM
01/07/08 01:40 PM
New York
captaz Offline OP
captaz  Offline OP

New York
Monica K. You make a very astute statistical point about the self-selection problem of the "prices-paid" thread. If I end up paying through the teeth for this thing, I doubt I will post what I paid and look like the biggest chump on the thread. I'm sure I"m not the only one reluctant to post "discount-free" prices. My problem is that I am almost willing to pay their price. A few more weeks without something to pound on, and I'll cave....and I think they know it.

Gyro: You make a very valid point--but my desires to save thousands are downright Lilliputian compared to my wife's desires for aesthetic cohesian in our small apartment. I married and artist and this is one of the costs.

J. Mark,
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to hit the one in Westechester and possibly even the F&C's in New Jersey. Worth the trip if it will save me even a few hundred dollars.

"I seek not for power but to pull it down."
Re: *Reasonable* Clavinova Dealer in NYC area #677849
01/07/08 02:05 PM
01/07/08 02:05 PM
Austin, Texas, USA
Riff Raff Offline
Riff Raff  Offline

Austin, Texas, USA
Originally posted by Monica K.:
NYC businesses have a much higher overhead than average
And yet, B&H Photo in NYC tends to have lower prices than almost anyone for photography equipment. Low enough that it's worth it for many people to buy from them online and have it shipped. I'm very skeptical of the argument that NYC businesses inherently need to have higher prices.

Re: *Reasonable* Clavinova Dealer in NYC area #677850
01/07/08 02:23 PM
01/07/08 02:23 PM
J. Mark Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J. Mark  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

B&H has a huge internet and phone business, and buys and sells on volume. And I suspect they are not subject to vertical price fixing and horizontal territory restrictions (that should be but are not unlawful these days).

Monica -- I think it is also possible that the opposite happens: that is, people who get really good deals are dissuaded from posting the prices, due to pressure from the retailer, who may fear mftr punishment for selling so low.

Gyro -- I am reluctant to make Absolute Proclamations, but I am absolutely confident in saying this: there is no DP on the market for $1,000 that even remotely compares to a CLP-280. I've owned several of the lower-end DP's, and they are not in the same universe as the high-end CLP's.

Re: *Reasonable* Clavinova Dealer in NYC area #677851
01/07/08 04:20 PM
01/07/08 04:20 PM
FL
dk21208 Offline
dk21208  Offline

FL
A couple thoughts:
1. I posted my price paid report even though I think what I paid was higher than anyone else who shared for same model. (Getting slightly off topic) Unfortunately, the biggest impact (certainly with Yamaha) is regional location. Yes, you may feel like a chump when a fellow poster can get something for a couple thousand less, but I personally did the best I could in my area, and accepted that it was not feasible for me to travel to more affordable regions in order to make the purchase this time.

2. Absolutely negotiate with *EVERY* dealer that you can go to. Use the Yamaha dealer finder on their website and use as many of your local zip codes you can think of. The only way you are going to get the best price locally is to make them fight for and earn your business. As an example I wanted a CVP-407. The first dealer I went to absolutely would not negotiate and suggested in my price range I should buy the discounted last years model (CVP-307) for a much better price. The next dealer I went to immediately beat the other dealers best price and it was for the 407 that I wanted. Suddenly dealer 1 is very willing to negotiate...

3. You should also ask anyone you know outside of NY to help you shop for your digital. What I ran into is that Yamaha is cracking down on out of area sales and I could not get anyone willing to make the sale without walking into their store. If you convince some out of state relatives and friends to help negotiate the purchase you may get a price that makes it worth shipping.

Dean
Re: *Reasonable* Clavinova Dealer in NYC area #677852
01/07/08 06:12 PM
01/07/08 06:12 PM
torrance, CA
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

torrance, CA
I did not post my price and source in that thread because the person who referred me to the source requested that I not do that. I doubt if I am the only one in that situation, so I would second J Mark's point of view that the absence of price reports from members who think they overpaid is probably offset by the absence of people like me. Also, I would think that even if the thread represents the lower end of the price-paid index, it can empower members to shop wisely and avoid being taken advantage of. If someone wants to pay no attention to that thread and dismiss it with a grain of salt, no one else will be the poorer I suppose.

I don't buy the high-cost-of-doing-business-in-NYC justification of a higher price either. The acoustic piano market is replete with defenses about the high cost of certain store locations, of flooring inventory, and the value added by careful prep and tuning. Add to that the mysteries of territoriality, MAP, no phone or e-mail price information and you wind up with a uniquely different price for every buyer... a price that is largely dependent on the buyer's price knowledge and skill at negotiation.

When I shopped digital, the first thing I did was determine which lines the big three: (Yamaha, Kawai, and Roland) chose to play the price protection game with, and which lines they allowed to be sold on the free market. The dividing line between the two categories seemed to be a little different for each maker. I wanted a Roland. The dividing line for Roland was that cabinet models were protected and stage pianos were not. I had wanted a cabinet model, but never even looked at one. I decided that I'd rather build my own cabinet if necessary than play the role of the patsy in the piano retail shell game.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Re: *Reasonable* Clavinova Dealer in NYC area #677853
01/08/08 09:44 AM
01/08/08 09:44 AM
G
Greyhound Offline
Greyhound  Offline
G

I went through the same experience with F&C (in Paramus, NJ). Decent product but was overpriced compared to the competition, and the dealer really didn't seem interested in my business. I ended up with a GEM RP800 from Royal Music, Toms River (~$2,100).

As for those arguing higher prices in NYC...I do believe that. Midtown is extremely expensive ($/ft2), downtown area where B&H is located is less per ft2. Also, I'm in agreement with JMark (heavens forbid!) regarding B&H's volume & internet sales. Disclaimer...I'm a huge fan of B&H...bought equipment both in-store & via phone.

Expand your search beyond Yamaha Clavinova series since there's alot of possibilities on the market.

Enjoy life...this is not a dress rehearsal.
Re: *Reasonable* Clavinova Dealer in NYC area #677854
01/08/08 11:07 AM
01/08/08 11:07 AM
New York
transpsych Offline
transpsych  Offline

New York
J. Mark,

Long time, no see!
I am no longer in our Westchester location. Currently, I am the manager of Frank and Camilles in Paramus, NJ. We've done a tremendous overhaul of personnel recently and are confident these changes will be beneficial to our company and most importantly, our customers.
All three locations mentioned in this thread are currently staffed with some of the most informed , friendly, and professional staff in this industry.
We are extremely competitive with regards to pricing and we most certainly are interested in your business.
Most of all, we're pretty darn reasonable!

Brian Lee
Frank and Camilles' Keyboard Centers of Hartsdale
Representing Yamaha, Petrof, Nordiska, Pearl River,Kohler & Campbell in NY/NJ

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway O Chladni Figure
by Chernobieff Piano. 06/16/19 12:55 AM
Who is the better pianist?
by AssociateX. 06/15/19 10:41 PM
VALDESTA GX-5 - one key not working
by heimtun. 06/15/19 01:15 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,538
Posts2,838,251
Members93,618
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission