2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#677827 08/17/07 11:06 PM
G
glitzer Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi,

I have a question which apparently is so stupid that the manual of my newly purchased MIDI-USB cable doesn't condescend to mentioning it:

With some trouble (cable way too short, installation doesn't work as described in the manual), I now did connect keyboard and computer and also managed to install a driver. Now what?? Naturally, I'd like to record something, but I don't have the slightest idea what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks for your help!

Christian

Beginner, started in Summer 2006, self-taught
#677828 08/17/07 11:20 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Christian,
You need what is known as a sequencer. Basically, it's software that's designed to record midi and audio tracks. As you're new to this, I suggest that you look into a product known as Cakewalk by SONAR. It's easy to install and quite intuitive. It's also fairly inexpensive - about $400 USD. Cakewalk also has an online forum to ask questions and share info with other Cakewalk users. If your PC has a Soundblaster sound card, you may want to upgrade. Soundcards can be purchased either as external or internal. You can get a decent one for under $100, which will be more than ample until you've become proficient at recording. m-audio makes decent and inexpensive soundcards. Check out their web site at www.m-audio.com and click on Products -> PCI Interfaces.
Good luck.
Roger

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561
#677829 08/17/07 11:27 PM
G
glitzer Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the info! However, this is a bit of a shock for me; I think I'm going to return the cable.

On the off chance that there's been a misunderstanding, let me state again what I want to do: Play a simple piece (badly, of course) and send this as a file ("listen, Mom, what I can do at the piano"). "Record" sounds too professional, of course.

Can you please confirm that I really need to spend another 500 bucks or so to be able to do this.

#677830 08/18/07 12:09 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
there are plenty of free sequencers out there.
mahlzeit has his "red dot" recorder.
I've got ditty
or hit google.

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
#677831 08/18/07 12:14 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Glitzer,

What keyboard do you have?
Does it have an audio line out? Headphones out? (not as good, but it will work)
Does your computer have a mic input?

Programs to look for:
Red Dot Forever
Audacity
If you want to buy one, look for Music Creator ($40) which is the individual version of Sonar. There is also a version with a MIDI adaptor included for $50.

Also get a cable to go from the Line out on your piano to Mic in on your computer. Or use headphones out on the piano if you must.

Red Dot Forever is a freeware program to record MIDI. However, remember that MIDI is commands to play the music, not the music itself. This is probably not what you want to send your mom. However, it is still good to use. Since you have the cable, you will probably want to learn how to use it.

Audacity will record the sound from the piano, but you need to connect with a cable from audio out (or headphones in a pinch) to the mic in on the computer. The quality of your sound card will greatly influence how this sounds. You might want some other software to convert to MP3. I use wavepad.

Music creator will do both and allow you to combine different tracks (both audio and midi) into one output track, etc. This is the one I use.

Look for threads on the forum that talk about both of these.

Good luck
Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
#677832 08/18/07 12:23 AM
It greatly depends on what your keyboard can do already. Can you record your playing, and play it back on the keyboard?

If you can, all you need is to do is to transfer the midi file from your keyboard to the computer via your new cable.

If you can't, then you'll need to send your playing via the cable to your computer, and have it do the recording. That's where the sequencer software comes in. Because you won't want to do any editing (which would be cheating!), I expect the sequencer could be very basic -- i.e. free.

Once you have a midi file, however you get it, then you can just email it to your mom as an email attachment.

#677833 08/18/07 01:23 AM
G
glitzer Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the additional information.

I have a Yamaha Nocturne which can't do anything (except play). So I guess the way to go is to download a free sequencer and then ask the next bunch of questions...

I am apparently very backward here or why do both manuals consider these things unworthy of mention.

#677834 08/18/07 01:36 AM
G
glitzer Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I'm beginning to understand, though, why they don't sell the cables at the local Best Buy.

#677835 08/18/07 01:52 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Glitzer,

To record the sound from your piano you will need a cable (probably from radio shack or guitar center) that has two 1/4" male mono jacks on one end and probably a single stereo 1/8" male jack on the other (this should match your computer).

Plug this into aux out on the nocturne and the mic in on the computer.

Set Audacity up to record, play away, and use Audacity to record the sound.

Save as a wave file and convert it to MP3 to send to your mom.

Check the Audacity website for more tips and tutorials.

The problem with MIDI is if your mom does not also have a nocturne connected to her computer with software as well, she will not hear what you hear. MIDI is just the commands to play this note at this time, not any of the actual sounds.

I would not return the MIDI cable if it works, because you will probably want it later. This would be great for you to record your playing in MIDI then play back the MIDI to record the audio.

The manual hints at this on pages 21 - 22, but doesn't go into detail.

Hope this helps.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
#677836 08/18/07 02:10 AM
G
glitzer Offline OP
OP Offline
G
That sounds convincing and more like what I had in mind (I originally thought the keyboard + MIDI cable would be something like the acoustical analog of a digital camera + cable).

On an unrelated note, I also find absolutely amazing that the Nocturne can't keep settings (but goes back to default when you turn it off).

#677837 08/18/07 02:26 AM
Originally posted by glitzer:
On an unrelated note, I also find absolutely amazing that the Nocturne can't keep settings (but goes back to default when you turn it off).
Quite a few keyboards do that. It's actually done deliberately to save on support calls from people who mess up the settings.

Digital Fake Book
Free Chord/Lyric Display Software for Windows.
http://mike-warren.net/digitalfakebook/
#677838 08/18/07 02:50 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Mike Warren:
Originally posted by glitzer:
[b] On an unrelated note, I also find absolutely amazing that the Nocturne can't keep settings (but goes back to default when you turn it off).
Quite a few keyboards do that. It's actually done deliberately to save on support calls from people who mess up the settings. [/b]
Pretty much all devices should be storing settings, and I suspect if some manufacturers decide to leave it off it's to save money. The ideal solution is to simply include a Reset (to default) function.

#677839 08/18/07 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Eternal:
Pretty much all devices should be storing settings, and I suspect if some manufacturers decide to leave it off it's to save money. The ideal solution is to simply include a Reset (to default) function.
I agree that the settings should be stored. The only cost to add this feature in a device of the complexity of a DP is in a few hours extra programming. There is zero cost per device. However, support calls require people to man phones which is a real cost. I design electronic devices for a living and know how these companies think.

Digital Fake Book
Free Chord/Lyric Display Software for Windows.
http://mike-warren.net/digitalfakebook/
#677840 08/18/07 08:56 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

#677841 08/18/07 04:17 PM
G
glitzer Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
This might help:
http://www.originalsolopiano.com/how-to-record-piano.html
That looks really useful, thanks!

As for storing (or not storing) the settings, it had occurred to me too that a reset button would do it too. The auto reset might downsize the Indian call center, but it also accelerates the wear and tear of the buttons by a factor of about 100, I guess. (But maybe that's a welcome source of additional revenue, or is this just my paranoid imagination.)

#677842 08/18/07 05:48 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On my Yamaha CP33, you have to enable storing the settings in the options. Maybe your piano has a similar option.

#677843 08/19/07 12:02 AM
G
glitzer Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
On my Yamaha CP33, you have to enable storing the settings in the options. Maybe your piano has a similar option.
I think it's unlikely I overlooked something. I read the complete manual word by word (because I couldn't believe it first). Also, the instrument has 88 keys (not surprisingly) and on top of that only one on-off switch and three more buttons, so it would have to be something really unexpected ("hold button A for 5 seconds, then turn the piano off and on again and then press B+C simultaneously three times in rapid succession").

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission