2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Cominut, crab89, Animisha, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,178 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#677807 11/09/07 07:53 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I played a demo FP7 at GC the other day and I noticed something odd. when I set it to the Electric Piano sound , I hit the keys in the area of C2 and I noticed that when you hit one of those keys(A2,B2,C2,D2...) in different locations of the key ( closer to the black keys or further away), the sound will be muffled in some areas and ok in others. I tried this with other model pianos (casio, yamaha..) thinking that this is something that could happen in the electric piano sound, but it didn't. I'm not sure if this is a defect of that particular demo they had or of all FP7's. just curious if anyone notice this on their FP7.

#677808 11/09/07 11:23 PM
What you noticed is impossible because there is only on set of switches on each key. smile

What was actually happening was when you hit the key further to the back it wasn't being depressed as fast and was registering a lower velocity. Better pianos/synths change the timbre as well as the volume with different velocities so what you were seeing is a good thing. Modern Roland pianos have a sound control function that acts a bit like a compressor limiter. This can make the volume change with velocity more subtle but the tone still changes significantly. This helps in band situations where you need a fairly constant volume but still want to play with expression. My guess is that the sound control was switched on or the compressor effect was applied.

Digital Fake Book
Free Chord/Lyric Display Software for Windows.
http://mike-warren.net/digitalfakebook/
#677809 11/10/07 10:28 AM
A
OP Offline
A
I remember tho when I was testing it , I tried to hit the key with the same intensity because I was aware of the change of velocity. also it didn't happen with any other region of the keyboard except in that area of the lower keys . also, it didn't happen with any other piano. The sound control or the compressor effect is a logical explanation and I didn't check on those ofcourse, but I'll take your word for it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission