2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cyph3r Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Both are similar price, which ones better? Don't say thats for me to decide, I'm asking for everyones opinion as I can't try out these pianos before buying them unfortunately.

C
C
For me it would definitely be the PX-320. It has more advanced features, more polyphony and a better action. Some people shy away from Casio because it has the toy keyboard reputation. Not these Privias. If I am willing to pay more, I would probably get a Roland or a higher end Yamaha, but for the price nothing comes close.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What do you want to use it for? What kind of music do you play? What is more important to you, the action of the keyboard or the sound or some other feature?

Well both these digital pianos are good and affordable. However, despite the similar prices of the P-85 and PX-320, you get more features with the PX-320.

In terms of built-in instrument tones/patches:
PX-320 has 202 tones (GENERAL MIDI patches included) > P-85 only has 10

In terms of polyphony:
PX-320 has 128-note polyphony > P-85 has 64-note polyphony

In terms of built-in rhythms:
PX-320 has 70 rhythms > P-85 has none

In terms of recording capability:
PX-320 has a 2-track sequencer > P-85 has one only

In terms of other extra features:
PX-320 has registration memory, control panel button lock mode, SD card storage capability, ample connectivity (USB to PC, MIDI In/Out, LINE IN and LINE OUT plus 2 headphone ports)

P-85 has only 2 headphone jacks and MIDI In/Out. I don't think it has a LINE OUT, I'd appreciate if someone would correct me if I'm wrong.

BOTH the P-85 and PX-320 support 3-pedal add-on units as well as "half-damper" effect.

In terms of popularity as to brand name:

Here is where Yamaha's name would shine.
Poor Casio has been stigmatized and associated with their old "toy-keyboards". It is unfortunate that you couldn't try out DPs prior to buying...it takes someone to try out and hear the Casio Privia's to make believers out of them and those skeptics who have associated Casio with cheap-sounding keyboards.

In terms of bang-for-your-buck:
I think it's quite obvious which of your 2 choices (i.e. P-85 or PX-320) offer more for the same price.

In terms of hammer-action/weighted 88 keys:
Both have good hammer-action weighted feel.

In terms of using it in gigs:
PX-320 is geared more for stage and studio use.
P-85 is more of a home digital piano.

In the end, if you're really "IN" to Yamaha products, then there's nothing wrong in getting the P-85. Do realize however, that there are certain limitations as to its features.

If you're the one who'd go for a good piano sound with ample features, then you'd probably benefit more with PX-320. Some online music stores would bundle a wooden stand for the PX-320 which is much sturdier than the usual keyboard X-stand.

I bought a CASIO PRIVIA PX-320 and I don't regret buying it at all. It has a lot of features compared to other digital pianos in its price range.

There are threads here pertaining to the PX-320 (use the SEARCH feature) which might be of help to you.

Hope this helps.

PX-5S FA-06 LaunchKey 61 SL-MKII Graphite 49; VST: Pianoteq 6+Bluethner UVI TrueKeys EWQL-SO + Hollywood Strings/Brass, AAS GS-2+LL EP4 Sonokinetic; Mobile DAW ROG G751J: i7 4720 32GB RAM 250+500 GB SSD Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiQst_xQwNgKL_FS9OXSKw
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I compared these two boards on Sunday at the local Guitar Center. Spent about an hour there, also comparing the P140, some more expensive Roland boards, and a few other Casios etc. But I was mostly focused on the P85 and the PX320, because I'm looking to pick up an extra DP for traveling.

Note I was mostly working with headphones, for two reasons. One, that is really the only way I use DP's; and two, it was too noisey in there to hear without them. I've owned several other DP's, including a Yamaha P70, a Casio CDP100, and a Casio PX700. I also have an acoustic grand. I am probably an early-intermediate player.

In the end, I think the two instruments are really very close, and both are quite good for the price. I think the Casio was $100 cheaper. Overall, I prefer the Yamaha tone. But I slightly prefer the feel of the keyboard on the Casio. The tone of the Casio (and this is my personal opinion, and it has been the same with every Casio I've tried) is a bit harsh. It doesn't sit well with my ears using headphones for some reason.

I seem to recall thinking the Casio could produce more volume through the headphones. This was true of the P70, as well -- it just didn't power cans very well. But it does enough for me for late night practice. I also tried both without the cans, briefly, and similarly found that the Yamaha didn't produce as much volume.

Both units have optional "console" stands, which to my thinking makes a huge difference. My plan is to buy the console stand, and remove the board from the stand for traveling, and carry an x-stand when traveling (by car, mind you). It seems they are about equal on this, although I don't know how simple it is to remove the board from the stand with the Casio (I know it's easy with the Yamaha).

One of the biggest problems with DP's is how the damper pedals work (or don't work). On this front, I think the Yamahas really are much better. The pedals that come with the cheaper Casios are just junk. They have only a tiny bit of travel, and are basically little square on/off switches. I hate them. The pedal that comes with the Yamaha is a more substantial unit, with more of a real pedal feel Apparently, with a slight upgrade to the Yamaha FC-3 pedal, you get half-damper effect. Apparently, you can get a similar half-damper effect with the Casio, but only by upgrading to the full, console-based three-pedal unit (which also, I believe, requires the full console stand). So on this, the Yamaha is a strong winner, imo.

I happen to prefer the "look" of the Yamaha, for whatever that is worth (a small amount, but not zero). I just don't like the look of the various low-end Casios. They both weigh about the same, and are fairly slim and portable.

The Casio has a bunch of "extra" stuff that I have no use for -- more voices, all kinds of other electronic junk (well, it's junk to me because I don't use it). All this stuff just clutters the thing up, imo. But that's really a totally subjective personal opinion. (I guess all this is, mostly.)

So, on balance, I think the Yamaha is a slight preference for me. I still think the Casio has a slightly better keyboard "feel," but the other things (mainly the tone, and the pedal) outweigh that.

I'd be interested to hear any other views....

N
N
i've been looking at these two models as well, one thing i like about the casio is the usb port that they put in it, although the p85 can hook up to the computer i believe (with a midi interface) i have yet got the chance to test the units out but right now from just looking at the statistics i'm leaning toward the px320 because all the voices and the polyphony, but hopefully i get to test both the dp's out soon.

G
G
You can buy the exact same Casio equivalent pedal as the Yamaha FC-3/4. It's the Casio SP20 and it's compatible with the 320.

http://www.chamberlainmusic.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=SP%2D20

My choice was between Casio SP20, Rolland Fp-4, Korg Sp250 and I bought the Yamaha P85 this weekend.
I am a Classical/Jazz piano player. The sound is much closer to the real piano, for this price.
The sensitivity of the keyboard is quite impressive. If you want just a piano, no frills this is it. Great deal !

SlySue
C
Cyph3r Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Sounds like the PX320 is the best bet then =] Also, the place I'm going to get the 320 from is £400 without a stand, however I want the stand that comes with the PX120 ect, and the site sells that stand for the PX200 (http://www.gear4music.com/Digital_Pianos/Casio_Pianos/Casio_CS-66_Stand_for_PX-200sefv_3.html)
and I'm wondering if i could get that stand and the PX320 would fit in it?

G
G
Yes, the CS-66 stand fits the PX320.

R
R
If you don't need the "extra" stuff of the PX-320. The PX-120 is very similiar without the extra stuff and $200 cheaper.

M
M
I am in the process of choosing my first DP (or any piano for that matter). I am a discerning classical/jazz listener and have played guitars for 20+ years. I would like to start learning the piano as a hobby (mostly for classical and jazz standards repertoire) and maybe in the near future our daughter will pick it up too.

I have narrowed my choices down to three: Casio PX-120, Yamaha P85, and Korg SP-250. Among these, Korg is 60-note, Yamaha is 64-note, and Casio is 128-note polyphonic. While some argue that one cannot hear the difference, I still tend to think that more polyphony would be better. I care mostly about the sound and action (should be as close to a grand as possible). I don't care much about the frills (extra sounds, rhythms). Direct Line Out would be nice but I guess MIDI Out converters are not so expensive these days (~$30 maybe?).

We live in Japan, so here are the prices:
Casio PX-120 (with CS-65P stand and SP-30 3-pedal unit): JPY 53,000
Yamaha P85 (with L-85 stand and LP-5 3-pedal unit): JPY 60,000
Korg SP-250 (includes stand and a single damper pedal): JPY 49,800

Given my musical needs and preferences, what would you recommend?

Originally posted by mitaka:

I have narrowed my choices down to three: Casio PX-120, Yamaha P85, and Korg SP-250. Among these, Korg is 60-note, Yamaha is 64-note, and Casio is 128-note polyphonic. While some argue that one cannot hear the difference, I still tend to think that more polyphony would be better. Direct Line Out would be nice but I guess MIDI Out converters are not so expensive these days (~$30 maybe?).

We live in Japan, so here are the prices:
Casio PX-120 (with CS-65P stand and SP-30 3-pedal unit): JPY 53,000
Yamaha P85 (with L-85 stand and LP-5 3-pedal unit): JPY 60,000
Korg SP-250 (includes stand and a single damper pedal): JPY 49,800

Seems you've got it almost figured out...more polyphony with MIDI connectivity. And the 3 choices you mentioned all have good decent piano sounds with each model using their respective company's patented and simulated hammer-action-mechanisms.

But you made mention of LINE-OUTs being nice, I don't think any of those choices have dedicated LINE-OUTs other than their respective Headphone-out terminals.

Before buying a MIDI to USB external connector/converter box, you might want to try it out first on the specific DP that you intend to buy (whether Casio, Yamaha or Korg)...because it's possible you may encounter some compatibility problems between a particular brand of DP and MIDI-to-USB converter...may not work right out-of-the-box.

I think Steve T made a recent thread about PX-320 and M-audio's MIDI sport UNO. You might want to check that out first. Although you're intending to get the PX-120 and not the PX-320, it might be practical to take note of that thread and make sure your MIDI-USB converter would work with your DP. But bear in mind you need to trouble shoot a bit more and rule out possibility of any driver incompatibility (if the MIDI-USB converter has a driver included) versus hardware incompatibility.

I don't think you'd go wrong with your 3 choices. But if you want that LINE-OUT terminal you have to go for the higher-end Casio's, Yamaha or Korg.

PX-5S FA-06 LaunchKey 61 SL-MKII Graphite 49; VST: Pianoteq 6+Bluethner UVI TrueKeys EWQL-SO + Hollywood Strings/Brass, AAS GS-2+LL EP4 Sonokinetic; Mobile DAW ROG G751J: i7 4720 32GB RAM 250+500 GB SSD Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiQst_xQwNgKL_FS9OXSKw
K
K
Korg SP-250 does have a line-out connection!
To my mind it also sounds much better than all Casios, whichever you want to take into account.

Playing via midi - it is really inconvenient as long as you don't want to record anything. You must turn on your PC, external amplifier, you must first of all buy/download illegaly some virtual piano...

Mitaka, you're not the first person to be in the same dilemma (the same three keyboards). My advice is:
1. Forget about Casio
2. If you want to record your playing to PC, take Korg SP-250
3. If you never (!) record yourself, than take into account also the Yamaha P-85, as many people prefer Yamaha's sounds than Korg's ones.

If you would like to get a few sound samples from Korg SP-250, don't hesitate to contact me laugh

D
D
Why forget all casios?

You've been into music for far too long if you tell somebody to shut up by drawing a fermata over the rest in their music.
No, no, no....don't forget the Casios!

I just bought a Casio Privia PX-320 after obsessively researching for weeks and performing multiple demos. I've tried the Casio PX-120, the Korg and the Yamahas mentioned above... To me, nothing compares to the feel and functionality of the PX-320. The polyphony, registration memory, and feel of the keys sold me on this DP. It is amazing and I am so very glad I bought it!

Thank you so much Beowulf and others for sharing your reviews..

My only question now is...should I purchase the extended warranty for period after manufacturer's warranty..I have 30 days to decide. Cost is $64 (1 year)/ $84 (2 year)? My last digital keyboard lasted almost 20 years (yes its true) without one problem.. Perhaps this is a question for another thread..

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Keep in mind that many credit cards will double the manufacturer's warranty if you keep your receipts.

Extended warranties are generally a bad idea, IMO; the only one I would consider for a piece of electronics would be a manufacturer-backed one on a laptop computer.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Cyphr3 smile

just passing through on my way home from a BBQ

I love my PX-320 and still am very happy with it

I recorded a fun jam with the PX-320 when I bought it to kind of give you an idea of the dynamics of the thing smile If you haven't already heard it? it may help you decide whether you like the tone or not?

For Seasides Casio PX-320 dynamics demo smile {click here}

Lee smile

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
D
D
From my side, I wouldn't recommend the PX320 since on the two units I've gotten, the two were sound defective(see my post for details)
Here is a little extract of the "beautiful" sound it gives me
http://www.filefactory.com/file/13d167

S
S
Concur with Dimimouse (quoted below)
I like a lot the px320 in terms of sounds, feel and features, but I have returned 2 of them. I probably will end up buying a p85, but I sure will miss the px320 (I really liked that keyboard).
End of my two cents

---------------------------------------------
From my side, I wouldn't recommend the PX320 since on the two units I've gotten, the two were sound defective(see my post for details)
Here is a little extract of the "beautiful" sound it gives me
http://www.filefactory.com/file/13d167

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission