2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
I am getting ready to buy a digital piano, but I want the best. Something to take the place of an acoustic piano, as I am moving soon. Is there such an instrument? My acoustic piano is a Yamaha, so I would prefer a Yamaha digital. Anyone have one of these?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Millions I'm sure. Are you looking for a console or stage version?

Les C Deal

J
J
CP-300. I just bought it and am very pleased with the sounds and the action.

$2,199.

Live Music Is Best
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
The only digital I know of that can "take the place of an acoustic" is the yet to be released CEUS system from Bosendorfer. I'm sure if you're pockets are big enough and/or you are famous enough that they will give/sell you one. It has the actual action from their concert grand.

Barring that, the top of the line Yamaha is probably the CGP1000, a digital in a baby grand case. It has their top of the line action (wooden keys with synth ivory tops), all the digital gee whiz, plus it has a real sound board.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yamaha CLP380, incoming new top Clavinova model, should be good enough.

J
J
I'm know I'm a broken record on this subject but do yourself a favor and "test drive" the Roland 207.

It isn't a Yamaha but a DP and an acoustic are such different instruments that the brand name doesn't mean anything, IMHO.

Gentlewind, the ROLAND HP-207 is a very good DP in every aspect and has more the softer, warmer tone of a Steinway Grand. Roland claims the samples are taken from a Steinway D. A lot of people find the keyboard still superior to the Yamaha CLP-280.

The YAMAHA's have the typical Yamaha sound (brighter) since they are sampled from their concerto Grand CFIIIS.
You best compare the new CLP-370 (or the previous CLP-270 and CLP-280) to the Roland HP-207.
Probably the very best will be the new flagship CLP-380 with it's sophisticated sound system, the new CLP-3xx Pure CF sound Samples and 5 soundlayers per note, but it will cost 'a few dollars' more .....

wink

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
Ciao GentleWind,
I am having your same problem.
If you have time to spend, just read through all the posts (use search engine)and you will easily understand that there are 3 main models to point out:
- KAWAI CA91
- YAMAHA CLP280 (now newcomer CLP380)
- ROLAND HP 270
There are lovers and "haters" of all of the three, equally distributed:
If you take the two mostly valued arguments (which are 1.Keyboard action and 2.Sound quality), you will find contrasting and different comments for any of them. So it is not possible to base your own choice on that.
You just need to test the DPs personally in order to get your personal feelings, touches and senses out of them. The problem is that you should test them side by side simultaneously in the same test session, because the differences are so slight that you hardly can compare them the day after.
This is what I am trying to do but so far I could only do it two-by-two. I tested KW CA91 with YAM 280, and KW CA91 with ROL HP207
It has been a strong struggle between YAM and KW...and the winner was... (but it is so pesonal, and still so uncertain)... KW CA91.
But some doubts still come from some posts
(http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/5095.html#000000)
about mechanical problem on the keyboards that a couple of users had (kind of Sticking and noisy keys etc). I am waiting toknow how serious an frequent this problem is.
Good luck.
ciao
P

-- Just Play It On! --.
I don't know what is the best digital piano. I have the Yamaha CGP 1000 which is their current top of the line. I play the CGP 1000 at home and take lessons on a M&H A at my instructors house. The main difference I notice is the action on the M&H is different in that the depth of the key stroke is less on the M&H and feels a bit muddier than on the CGP. Once I adapt to that for my 45 minute weekly lesson, I don't seem to have major issues.

All that said, I have only been playing piano for 6-months and I think that my touch is a bit heavy (actually a lot heavy) and not very subtle when I compare to my weekly instructor and to my instructor at SummerKeys this summer. Also, I'm 62 y/o and my hearing is deficient after 32 years in the Army. So there are probably many other nuances of both key action and an auditory nature that I do not appreciate.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

G
OP Offline
G
Thank you for everyones' help. I really do appreciate it. I will take some time and compare several before I buy, but at least I now know what to look for.

You may want to consider the Yamaha H01 Modus....or the Yamaha Modus F11PE.

Both excellent pianos but to everyones tastes.

Copilot: What do you think about these pianos?

Mark

Im just starting out but I couldnt get over the sound of the CP300. it was amazing....because im a newbie I cant justify the cost so Im going with the P85...but if just over 2K is easily doable then you too should check it out. Its a wonderful instrument.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission