2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,766 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Can someone please explain how to get my PC to recognise my Kawai CA 91 as a MIDI device when I connect via the USB port? I want to play a MIDI file through the piano.

Michael
Did your Kawai CA 91 come with a CD when you bought it?

Usually a manufacturer would provide a CD which contains the USB driver (and some "bonus" software) that needs to be installed into your PC for proper recognition upon connection of your DP to your PC.

If you have installed the USB driver and your PC still doesn't recognize your DP, try another USB port (usually there's 4 or more USB ports in newer motherboards) to rule out the possibility of a malfunctioning USB port.

You might also want to check the manual of your Kawai DP to see if you need to do some adjustments in a particular setting as to which data transmission route you would be taking (i.e. whether via MIDI In/Out or using USB-MIDI).

I don't have a Kawai CA 91, but I do have a PX-320 which came with a CD containing the USB driver needed for installation into a PC for proper USB functioning and recognition of my DP. It shouldn't be any different with other manufacturers when it comes to providing appropriate drivers for their DPs. If your DP didn't really come with a CD containing the USB driver, try visiting Kawai's website and see if you can download the USB driver from there.

If it still doesn't work, then try using another USB cable. At this point, you're trying to rule out the possibility of a defective cable.

If it still doesn't work, it's time to call the Kawai technical support.

PX-5S FA-06 LaunchKey 61 SL-MKII Graphite 49; VST: Pianoteq 6+Bluethner UVI TrueKeys EWQL-SO + Hollywood Strings/Brass, AAS GS-2+LL EP4 Sonokinetic; Mobile DAW ROG G751J: i7 4720 32GB RAM 250+500 GB SSD Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiQst_xQwNgKL_FS9OXSKw
S
SSB Offline
S
What operating system are you using? If it's Vista, there have been lots of problems with midi implementation and USB midi drivers.

These are the USB midi drivers for Windows of all types:

http://www.kawai.de/service/KAWAI-USB-MIDI-EN.zip

Additionally, you can't choose the playback device for midi files using Windows Media Player in Vista (it's OK before that). So, you may need to use another piece of software to play the midi files with - I use Vista, so I play back midi files through Sibelius which allows you to set your midi devices.

Hope this helps

User ratings are the work of the devil [Linked Image]
cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the help so far guys but I admit, I'm baffled!

I'm running Windows XP and I have WMP 11 installed. However, I can't work out how to play the midi file via WMP 11, through my piano - I thought it would happen automatically. I've downloaded and installed the USB driver from Kawai as well as trying another port on my computer and another USB cable - still nothing happens :rolleyes:

Michael
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You need to go into the Audio Devices Settings in the Config Panel (or whatever it is called on your computer) and change the default MIDI output device from the built-in synth to your piano.

cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
You need to go into the Audio Devices Settings in the Config Panel (or whatever it is called on your computer) and change the default MIDI output device from the built-in synth to your piano.
Thanks Mahlzeit, but my CA 91 is not listed under 'default MIDI' devices in the audio part of XP control panel. For some reason my PC does not 'see' the piano. I can find nothing in the Kawai user manual which helps.

This has got to be something 'simple' I'm sure but... what?? confused

Michael
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How about if you try another program like SSB suggested? Maybe www.vanbasco.com ?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I too initially suspected Windows Vista to be the problem, however this is clearly not the case - indeed, the original USB MIDI driver provided with Windows XP should function perfectly well.

cruiser, may I ask what happens/happened when you connected your CA91 to the USB port on your PC? I believe that Windows should install the software automatically, and may even require you to restart.

As mahlzeit notes, once the USB MIDI driver has been correctly installed by Windows, it may also need to be selected as the default MIDI device in the 'Sound and Audio Device Properties' control panel. If only 'Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth' is available, then I can only assume that your computer is not detecting the USB MIDI device correctly.

Finally, avoid connecting the CA91 via a USB extender/hub, as this may intefere with the USB MIDI communications.

I shall do a little further investigating to see if there is anything that could have been missed.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jmbattle:

cruiser, may I ask what happens/happened when you connected your CA91 to the USB port on your PC? I believe that Windows should install the software automatically, and may even require you to restart.

As mahlzeit notes, once the USB MIDI driver has been correctly installed by Windows, it may also need to be selected as the default MIDI device in the 'Sound and Audio Device Properties' control panel. If only 'Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth' is available, then I can only assume that your computer is not detecting the USB MIDI device correctly.

Kind regards,
James
x
Nothing happens when I connect the CA 91 to my PC. I downloaded and installed the USB MIDI driver from Kawai - at least, the message said it was installed - but, as mentioned, it does not appear in the drop down for default MIDI devices. There is only 'Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth' as you've said and one other which I can't exactly remember right now as I'm in work - it's something like 'MP 401', if I remember correctly. I'll post the exact details when I get home.

I fully expected the computer to react somehow when I connected the piano and the fact that it dosen't makes me wonder if there's something I need to configure in the piano first. Sorry for my lack of knowlege but this is the first time I've tried to do something - anything! - with MIDI.

Kind regards
Michael

Michael
cruiser, I believe I am correct in thinking that Windows should pop-up with a 'New Device Found' prompt in the system tray when the CA91 is connected/turned on.

If not, I believe that either your PC or Windows is not functioning correctly.

Have you attempted to plug the USB cable into a different USB port?

Are you perhaps using a rather old PC, or even a heavily customised version of Windows?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jmbattle:
cruiser, I believe I am correct in thinking that Windows should pop-up with a 'New Device Found' prompt in the system tray when the CA91 is connected/turned on.

If not, I believe that either your PC or Windows is not functioning correctly.

Have you attempted to plug the USB cable into a different USB port?

Are you perhaps using a rather old PC, or even a heavily customised version of Windows?

Kind regards,
James
x
This is the first time my PC has not reacted when connected to some external device via USB. I'm used to seeing the 'New Device Found' window when connecting external devices of all types, but my CA 91 dosen't initiate this response at all. I've tried different ports and a different USB cable - nothing. My PC is not old (4 years) and Windows XP has not been 'heavily customized', as far as I know.

With my limited knowledge, I'm intuitively inclined to think that the CA 91 may not be set-up properly in order for it to be capable of being recognised as a new device, even though the user manual says it should be automatic; I've never interfered with the CA 91's MIDI settings and I could be completely wrong, of course smile

Michael

Michael
S
SSB Offline
S
The drill seems to be to install the driver first and then connect the piano to the computer. That said, the standard USB midi driver which windows should load is probably OK.

here's the relevant bit from the manual. As you see from the bit in bold, if you get it installed correctly you should see the piano as a Midi device:

4. USB port
􀁸 When the CA piano is connected to a computer via a commercially available USB cable, the CA piano will be recognized as a MIDI
device. As with a regular MIDI interface, the CA piano will be able to transmit and receive MIDI messages.
􀁸 There are A USB port and B USB port. Connect a computer to the A port and digital piano to the B port.
About a USB driver
For data exchange between a computer and digital piano via USB connection, software (USB-MIDI driver) must be installed on the
computer for proper digital piano operations.
Please read the following instructions carefully as a different USB-MIDI driver may be necessary depending on the computer OS.
􀂑 Windows XP / Me users:
The standard USB-MIDI driver installed on Windows will be used. This USB-MIDI driver will be automatically installed when
the unit is connected to the computer.
To establish MIDI communications with the unit by using an application, select "USB audio device" to defi ne the unit as a MIDI device.
􀂑 Windows 2000 / 98SE users:
You need to install the specifi ed, special USB-MIDI driver. Download the special USB driver from the KAWAI site as shown below,
and install it on the computer.
http://www.kawai.co.jp/download_demo/driver/
􀂄 Read the instruction manual thoroughly before connecting the unit to the computer, and make sure to install the driver.
If you connect the unit to the computer without installing the driver, the USB-MIDI driver may not operate properly. If
this occurs, use the driver update function of the OS to install the appropriate USB-MIDI driver, or delete the driver by
using the driver delete function and then install the driver again.
To establish MIDI communications with the unit by using an application, select "KAWAI USB MIDI IN" and "KAWAI
USB MIDI OUT" to define the unit as a MIDI device.

􀂑 Macintosh OS X users:
When the unit is used with Macintosh OS X, the unit will be recognized as a MIDI device automatically; therefore, no special
driver is needed.
To establish MIDI communications with the unit by using an application, select "USB-MIDI" to defi ne the unit as a MIDI device.
􀂑 Users of Macintosh OS9 or earlier:
The unit does not support Macintosh OS9 or earlier. Please establish a MIDI connection by using a commercially available
MIDI interface.
Notes on USB
􀁸 When MIDI and USB are connected simultaneously, USB will be prioritized.
􀁸 When connecting a digital piano to a computer by using a USB cable, fi rst connect the cable and then turn on the power of the
digital piano.
􀁸 When a digital piano is connected to a computer by using a USB cable, it may take some time before communications start.
􀁸 When a digital piano and a computer are connected via a hub, and the operation is not stable, connect the digital piano directly
to the USB port of the computer.
􀁸 Operations of a computer or a digital piano may become unstable if the power of the piano is turned on or off, or if the USB
cable is pulled out or inserted during:
* Driver installation
* Computer power-up
* MIDI application operations
* Communication with the computer
* Standby in power-saving mode
􀃄 USB may not operate properly depending on the settings of your computer. Read the computer instruction manual thoroughly
before use and ensure that appropriate settings are made.

cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SSB, thanks for taking the time to post the extract from the manual. This is the same section I've been reading over and over. The only thing I notice immediately is that the part which contains your bold text is in the section for Windows ME/98SE users. The manual states that, for Windows XP, the 'USB-MIDI driver will be automatically installed when the unit is connected to the computer'... which brings me back to the problem - my CA 91 is not automatically recognised by my PC.

Michael
S
SSB Offline
S
I figured you would have been reading that bit (repeatedly).

Reading about on the web for Xp midi usb ... you do find other people with problems, although not all Kawai owners. Explanations are few and far between, although some suggest software conflicts and others pick up on limitations in the XP midi set-up that might get in the way of installing new midi devices (which the link at the bottom of this post is supposed to address)

This suggested fix suggests a registry tweak

Here\'s an article about trouble shooting USB midi

Here\'s yet another

Finally, this last one might (poten...om M-Audio to tidy up your midi drivers.

cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks ssb, I'll try your suggestions when I get home from work.

One further question, for now:
One of the two options available to select for default MIDI drivers on my computer is called MPU 401. Is this a USB MIDI driver?

Michael
S
SSB Offline
S
I wouldn't think you'd want that there, unless you've got one of these

cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
In spite of all the welcome help I've received in the replies to my original question, I'm getting nowhere fast with this problem confused

I have no idea where to go from here... why dosen't my computer identify my CA 91 as new hardware found? Surely this process comes one step before any driver-related issue. Could someone please lead me by the hand systematically with this problem help

Michael
Originally posted by cruiser:
In spite of all the welcome help I've received in the replies to my original question, I'm getting nowhere fast with this problem confused

I have no idea where to go from here... why dosen't my computer identify my CA 91 as new hardware found? Could someone please lead me by the hand systematically with this problem help
USB is suppose to be self-recognizing. This doesn't mean it will work without a driver but it does mean that Windows should recognize the piano as soon as it is plugged in. If other devices are working on this USB port you can pretty much rule out a USB port problem on the PC. This leaves the CA91 USB interface. And since the piano is the newest thing added to the configuration and it hasn't been verified as operable, it should bei the most likely suspect.

Either one of two things is happening: 1) The USB interface is disabled in the piano, or 2) The USB interface is malfunctioning in the piano. I would not suspect #2 because USB interfaces do not fail very often. I can count on one hand the number I have seen fail since they first became popular. But it is a possibility that you have an OBF (out of box failure) as any failure will most likely occur out of box or a short time thereafter. My guess is #1, it is disabled or not configured in the piano.

I did a quick check for an owners manual on the web site and didn't find one. Check your owners manual carefully and see if the USB port can be disabled or deconfigured. I am not sure why the designers would want to do this but we are out of simple solutions here. If there is no way to disable it, or in your case enable it, then it is time for a call to tech support.

Casio PX-320, Fabers' Adult Piano Adventures 1
"If you drive faster than I do, you are a maniac. If you drive slower than I do, you are are an idiot."
S
SSB Offline
S
Originally posted by PhysicsTeacher:
Originally posted by cruiser:
[b] In spite of all the welcome help I've received in the replies to my original question, I'm getting nowhere fast with this problem confused

I have no idea where to go from here... why dosen't my computer identify my CA 91 as new hardware found? Could someone please lead me by the hand systematically with this problem help
I did a quick check for an owners manual on the web site and didn't find one. Check your owners manual carefully and see if the USB port can be disabled or deconfigured. I am not sure why the designers would want to do this but we are out of simple solutions here. If there is no way to disable it, or in your case enable it, then it is time for a call to tech support. [/b]
Here it is smile

I can't see anything about enabling or disabling USB midi. I do think it's something that their service people should be able to help with though.

D
D
Can you try another computer and see whether the piano gets detected? Then you might be able to narrow it down to the piano or the computer.

Also try another USB port and another USB cable. I suffered through an intermittent USB cable at one time: it made a new MP3 player appear to be very flaky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission