Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
141 registered members (AssociateX, almo82, AlphaBravoCharlie, Aydan, ALEXANDER DYKER, BbAltered, Angelos58, anotherscott, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674569
09/04/07 03:43 AM
09/04/07 03:43 AM
Florida
Y
yenny Offline OP
yenny  Offline OP
Y

Florida
I'm still in search of a DP for a beginner. I don't need any bells and whistles, just quality touch and sound. I haven't played on an acoustic long enough to know what a good DP should feel and sound like. I went to guitar center and narrowed it down to the p70 and px110 [they are within my budget].

Hypothetically speaking, if they were both at the SAME price which one should I get, which one would you get?? smile . I tried both and can't decide on one over the other. Any opinions or suggestions would be great, thank you.

P70 - not very loud [weak 6w speaker], headphone jack size output only, no metronome

px110 - not as nice looking, I like the all black look of the p70

I like the touch and sound on both so I really can't decide...

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674570
09/04/07 04:43 AM
09/04/07 04:43 AM
Tony V Offline
Tony V  Offline

I would get the Yammy just because it looks very nice. I'm a sucker for sexy, sleek design. laugh Of course, that would only be if I was purchasing a beginner DP and plan to upgrade later. If I were to buy my final DP, I would only consider action and sound. Also, I'm assuming that the P70 and PX110 are somewhat relatively near equal in quality.

And you can always buy better speakers/monitors later on for better sound. The good thing about this is that you can reuse them later when you get a better DP.

My tip is to buy the machine that will give you fewest or no regrets. If you like the sound and action on both, it wouldn't hurt to get the better looking one. If you think you'll regret not getting the one with better speakers, then go with the PX110.

Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674571
09/04/07 06:37 AM
09/04/07 06:37 AM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
The P70 feels slightly better to me.

The P70 can actually be used on a gig (it's a stage piano) and the professionals won't sneer at you. (well, might depend on how you play <g>)

But they both seem to have value for a beginner.

gotta go practice
Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674572
09/04/07 05:21 PM
09/04/07 05:21 PM
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Eternal  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If you plan on just using it at home - go with Casio - the price difference will buy you a nice stand, and a set of good headphones.

If you plan on taking it to the gigs - go with Yamaha - like somebody mentioned, it's not as frowned upon as Casio, and is lighter as well.

You should also feel the difference in touch - in general Casio's is heavier than Yamaha's, and you may have a preference one way or another.

As far as the sound - it's not that great on either one of those pianos - so you may want to plan on upgrading it with a software piano in the future (like Synthogy's Ivory, or Native Instruments' Akoustik) - another reason to save money on the initial purchase.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674573
09/06/07 11:50 AM
09/06/07 11:50 AM
Toronto, Canada
S
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member
Strat  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Toronto, Canada
Forgive me for being blunt, but who cares what the thing looks like or which brand name is written on it?

This is a digital piano, no? Shouldn't sound & touch be the most important thing? I never understood the brand snobbery that I witness.

I personally always prefered the Yamahas simply because of the graded touch, but I wouldn't say "Choose the Yamaha or else others will diss your gear." If people are so insecure about gear that they start insulting a choice you made, I feel sorry for them.

Bottom line ; choose it for what it is and enjoy it regardless of the brand name. It's a piano. It's meant to be played and listened to ; not looked & sneered at.

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674574
09/06/07 03:48 PM
09/06/07 03:48 PM
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Eternal  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally posted by Strat:
Forgive me for being blunt, but who cares what the thing looks like or which brand name is written on it?
Some people don't, a lot of people do.

I personally always prefered the Yamahas simply because of the graded touch
Casio has graded touch as well - and I got Casio precisely because of touch - I like it heavy.

Bottom line ; choose it for what it is and enjoy it regardless of the brand name. It's a piano. It's meant to be played and listened to ; not looked & sneered at.
I'll play the devil's advocate here. The way something looks, often contributes a lot to the enjoyment. I'd enjoy a BMW much more than a KIA, even if the latter had better specs, was more comfortable, and reliable. That being despite the fact that the car is only meant to be driven from point A to point B, and not looked at.

This is a perspective from someone in their late twenties - I guess it may change once I get older, but from the number of guys in their forties driving Corvettes around here, I highly doubt it.

Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674575
09/06/07 04:59 PM
09/06/07 04:59 PM
Toronto, Canada
S
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member
Strat  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by Eternal:
This is a perspective from someone in their late twenties - I guess it may change once I get older, but (...) I highly doubt it.
I'm 29. So... :p

Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674576
09/06/07 05:18 PM
09/06/07 05:18 PM
San Antonio,TX USA
Jerry A. Greene Offline
Jerry A. Greene  Offline

San Antonio,TX USA
Hi Yenny,

I always suggest to my new piano students to go with a Yamaha P70. I feel that it is a great digital piano that can also be used on gigs in the future, should you eventually want to use it that way. The feel and the overall construction of the P70 also feels a lot more solid to me.

Since I am very familiar with the P70 (as a lot of my students have one), please don't hesitate to private message me.

Wishing you the best!

Jerry A. Greene
Some of my latest articles:

Getting Internet Radio Airplay:
http://jagmmp.com/music_articles/getting_internet_radio_airplay.html

Putting Out Your Own CD:
http://jagmmp.com/music_articles/putting_out_your_own_cd.html
Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674577
09/07/07 04:30 AM
09/07/07 04:30 AM
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member
rintincop  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yamaha piano sounds trump the Casio piano sounds. I thought that was the widespread consensus?

Of course the Roland FP4 piano sound trumps the Yamahas and the Casios. Only the Roland samples every individual note. The Yamaha and Casio sample a note and then transpose it across several keys to save memory. It's called "crossfading". It results in a monotonous overly uniform and static digital sounding piano. Notes lack subtle individual characteristics like on a real piano. It causes a less organic sounding digital piano.

Casio PX-360 digital piano, Mojo 61 digital organ, 1966 Mason & Hamlin piano.
Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674578
09/07/07 10:52 AM
09/07/07 10:52 AM
OnTheWeb Offline
OnTheWeb  Offline

I played a Casio CDP-100 the other day, the predecessor to the PX-110, and even that sounded pretty decent. Its not an acoustic, but for $400 it puts a reasonable piano with weighted action in front of someone and you could easily play and practice on that instrument.

Less organic? Sure. Less organic, more pianic.

I came into this world with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674579
09/07/07 01:04 PM
09/07/07 01:04 PM
Toronto, Canada
S
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member
Strat  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by rintincop:
Yahmaa piano sounds trump the Casio piano sounds. I thought that was the widespread consensus?

Of course the Roland FP4 piano sound trumps the Yamahas and the Casios. Only the Roland samples every individual note. The Yamaha and Casio sample a note and then transpose it across several keys to save memory. It's called "crossfading". It results in a monotonous overly uniform and static digital sounding piano. Notes lack subtle individual characteristics like on a real piano. It causes a less organic sounding digital piano.
The problem with every Roland I've tried so far is that their keys are very light. I like a very heavy piano-like touch, so I went with a Yamaha for the graded weighted keys.

Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674580
09/07/07 09:49 PM
09/07/07 09:49 PM
San Antonio,TX USA
Jerry A. Greene Offline
Jerry A. Greene  Offline

San Antonio,TX USA
The problem with every Roland I've tried so far is that their keys are very light. I like a very heavy piano-like touch, so I went with a Yamaha for the graded weighted keys.
I have to agree with this. Roland keys are very light and don't have the piano touch that the Yamaha's do. I believe that Yamaha has been so far ahead when it comes to this. I purchased a Yamaha P-150 back in 1998. The reason I did so was because the sound was so much better than anything else on the market and the feel was unmatched! The P70 has a very similar feel.

Jerry A. Greene
Some of my latest articles:

Getting Internet Radio Airplay:
http://jagmmp.com/music_articles/getting_internet_radio_airplay.html

Putting Out Your Own CD:
http://jagmmp.com/music_articles/putting_out_your_own_cd.html
Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674581
09/08/07 02:28 AM
09/08/07 02:28 AM
Florida
Y
yenny Offline OP
yenny  Offline OP
Y

Florida
Hi to everyone again...

This is long: here's the Cliff's version if you don't want to read. Bought P70, did not like, will return for YPG625 or PX200/800.

Here's the long version.

Here's an update, first of all thanks for all the replies. I ended up buying the p70. It sounded a little better to me. I was indifferent to the touch although the Casio's was heavier. And to me, I do like the way the thing looks...all black with a hint of red running along the keys. The looks are of course just my opinion but it matters to me, I guess. I didn't however buy it so others can look at it or see that it's a Yamaha.

Pretty much bought it for myself. I got it with a set of headphones (inexpensive model), keyboard bench, and L70 stand for $600 OTD.

HOWEVER...I have changed my mind after having it for a week. Complaints are: the thumping keys, very very low volume level, and I thought to myself if I am going to put up with these things, why not just spend a little more and get the YPG625 with all the fancy gadgets.

This board has warned me about all this already (thank you all), and advocates were also correct(thanks again), in that the DP is a great piano for practice, but not for other things like adding beats and accompaniment and so on.

And I agree, for a decent practice piano it's great...and don't get me wrong, I do like the thing, just not enough. I know for a fact that I will get bored of it in a year or two. Therefore, I rather spend $200 more and get something with either newer technology (PX200/800) or more keyboard-like toys (YPG625). And I know the YPG625 will have similar problems (6W speakers, same GHS keys) but all the other functions will make up for it.

This was my first DP and I think more than anything, it showed me what I am REALLY looking for in a DP. Something where weight (stage vs nonstage) doesn't matter, has a decent amount of technology/functions, and looks don't matter as much now. I'm 27, but maybe an immature kid at heart, BUT I learn from my mistakes and move on.

I'm going to return everything and buy my next item from the same store (Guitar Center), they have great customer service. And I will research my next victim very carefully.

Thanks again everyone.

Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674582
09/09/07 01:00 PM
09/09/07 01:00 PM
OnTheWeb Offline
OnTheWeb  Offline

Well, low sound volume is common to many DP's. Yamaha's 6 watt nonsense is just, well, nonsense and will disappoint most people. An iPod probably has more power than that.

There are several portables that have better sound systems:
Roland FP7
Kawai ES4 and others.

I came into this world with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674583
09/09/07 01:36 PM
09/09/07 01:36 PM
CT
Matahari Offline
Matahari  Offline

CT
Yenny,

Please check if your local GC carries Casio CDP100 (basically a plain digital piano, less bells and whistles than PX110 or P70). I like the sound of it better (it has bigger sound) than both P70 and PX110. The look is not really important for me, but fwiw, I like its look better than both P70 and PX110, too (it has really nice sleek contemporary look, all black, nicer than P70 imo). Here is the promo demo at youtube. Not really a good recording, much nicer in person, but at least you get the idea of what it would be like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYJ1QmAwpmg

You can get it with a custom stand for around $500, or if you want a standard stand, you can get the keyboard only for under $400. The touch is very slightly heavier than PX110.

I got mine from local GC. Got it with a standard stand, bench and tax for $400 (yes, I negotiated and they discounted the price because it was the last one in stock at that time). The sounds is even nicer (more powerful) when you use a headphone.

Re: Yamaha P70 or Casio PX110 - taking price out of the equation #674584
09/09/07 02:59 PM
09/09/07 02:59 PM
Bayonne, France
B
baionakoa Offline
baionakoa  Offline
B

Bayonne, France
You can also wait for the new privia px-120 :

http://www.casio-intl.com/emi/piano/privia/px120dk.html

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
John Lewis Christmas ad 2018
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 06:40 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,343
Posts2,761,381
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission