2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Spent some time again today playing around with these three instruments. Kawai keyboard seems to offer the most control, Roland the best sounds, Yamaha the feeling of most solidity/security.

If I just wanted to have a great piano replacement instrument, I suppose I would buy the Kawai today. For sheer fun and sounds and key top feel, it would be the Roland. For some reason, Yamaha keeps calling.

What a difficult search!

T
T
Interesting. I recently played the Roland GX at the local Guitar Center. I was very, very impressed with the ivory texture and the feel of the action, but not very impressed with how that connected with the actual sound being produced by the unit itself.

Having played all three pro-level Kawai offerings at another shop (the local Kawai dealer), I have to say I thought the "finger-to-piano-control" connection was actually best on the MP5 rather than the MP8II despite the wooden action, etc. that Kawai is touting. I just thought it was easier for me to "sing" on the MP5 than the MP8. Incidentally, all three Kawais set up on same rack, going through same keyboard amp.

I also have to add that turning the onboard effects OFF and running the board through Logic Mainstage - using Logic's EQ and Space Designer reverb - makes all the difference in the world. It's taken the Concert Grand 2 patch on my MP4 from a decent, passable stage piano into a whole other level - I noted on another forum that I get random complements from audiences just on the piano tone alone now.

I can only hazard a guess that Garritan's Steinway runs circles around all of the above, and given the right keyboard (for me, the Kawai) to control it, will really provide the current "next best thing to a real one..." solution.

Yes, a never ending search indeed.

K2600Xs, Kawai MP4, Logic 8, Novation SL 61, Dyno'd '74 Rhodes, Moog Source, etc.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, Garritan Steinway hooked up to either an MP5 or MP8II is a pretty good combination!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
G
the Rd700GX does not feel solid ? Compared to the CP300 ?

Security ?

I am not following

I own the GX

GregC
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
By security I mean that for some reason the keyboard and also the physical controls from Yamaha felt tighter or more secure in my fingers (although the feel of the material on the Roland's keys was way better).

I understand the comment about the connection between the Roland keyboard and sound. There was sometimes a subjective feeling of lag and I could not always articulate as well on it.

The Kawai offered me the most control but I wasn't crazy about what I heard. I will have to look into the suggestion on Garritan Steinway and the MP5.

What exactly are the differences between MP5 and MP8II?

Again this was one subjective 45 min session on these three instruments yesterday. Who knows what I would say tomorrow?

laugh

theJourney

The MP5 and MP8II share the same tone generator, technical specifications (polyphony, no. of sounds, effects etc.), and operation.

However, as you are already aware, the MP8II utilises a wooden key action, while the MP5 utilises a plastic key action - thus explaining the differences in weight and dimensions between the two instruments.

In addition, the MP8II features XLR connectors and includes the F-20 double pedal (soft/damper) unit as standard, while the MP5 does not feature XLR connectors, and includes the F-10H single pedal unit as standard (the F-20 can be purchased separately).

I hope this answers your query.

Kind regards,
James
x

G
G
Originally posted by theJourney:
By security I mean that for some reason the keyboard and also the physical controls from Yamaha felt tighter or more secure in my fingers (although the feel of the material on the Roland's keys was way better).

ok. I have owned Rd700 the Rd700SX and now the GX

They are all formidable, solid, 'gig proof '
road warrior boards

No doubt about it.

GregC
I agree with Greg - I have only just started gigging with my GX but have no fears about its ability to withstand life on the road. And the action is a quantum leap ahead of any other digital piano.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
T
T
If you are looking at these three instruments, the ROland RD700GX, the Kawai MP8II, and the Yamaha CP300 basically as stage pianos and nothing else then they are similar. But only one of them - the CP300 - has internal speakers which makes it a more versatile instruments in terms of application, and those speeakers not only sound very good but they give a bit more realism to the piano because they cause the keys to vibrate like a real piano does. That's a very clear difference.

And in this day of softsynth pianos and using DP's as master controllers, the Roland GX only has 100 performance setups. The Kawai MP8II has 256 setups. The CP300 has 64 performance setups x 56 files (3584 setups).

And finally - just a personal thing - only the CP300 is designed so the top is actually useful for working on scores or holding a second keyboard. I use mine for hosting an Access Virus TI Polar, and I can plug the audio outputs of the Virus into the audio inputs of the CP300 and take advantage of the CP300's speakers. Mating these two keyboards together makes some very unique sound combinations.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either the ROLAND RD-700 GX or the Yamaha CP-300...both are full-featured professional stage pianos...but if there's one feature that would make me go for the Roland RD-700 GX, it's these 3 letters (click the link):

SRX

PX-5S FA-06 LaunchKey 61 SL-MKII Graphite 49; VST: Pianoteq 6+Bluethner UVI TrueKeys EWQL-SO + Hollywood Strings/Brass, AAS GS-2+LL EP4 Sonokinetic; Mobile DAW ROG G751J: i7 4720 32GB RAM 250+500 GB SSD Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiQst_xQwNgKL_FS9OXSKw
I seriously examined the CP300 and the RD700GX. I bought the Roland because it supports four simultaneous sound layers, it's easier for one guy to pick up and move, it has a nifty fake hammond drawbar capability, the key surface and escapement action feels wonderful, and the panel knobs and buttons for real-time effects make it much more oriented for live work. On the other hand, it's acoustic pianos have no presence and are far *inferior* to those of the CP300. But, the easily adjustable parametric EQ helps a lot on stage. I know the CP300 has a 5-band EQ control panel, but I don't know whether those controls can also set the various bands and Q, as does the Roland. I still have 6 weeks for a store credit / swap, so who knows... maybe I'll go get a CP300 for a while and try it out for a couple of weeks. I have already used the 700GX on two gigs, and found it to be very satisfying. Your mileage may vary.

If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.
F
F
Well, I just bit the bullet and opted in the RD700GX to replace my MP8. It wasn't an easy decision, but one that I'm getting more and more comfortable with. I posted a detailed (subjective review) on my blog contrasting my impressions of the RD700GX vs. both the MP8 it replaced as well as the MP8-II.

Hope this helps!

http://www.fastonkeys.com/studio/new-roland-rd700gx/

An excellent review Adrian, many thanks for posting this.

Enjoy your new GX!

Kind regards,
James
x

F
F
Thanks very much! Appreciated smile

F
F
Incidentally jmbattle, you share something in common with Hiromi! Both from Hamamatsu!

Yes, a truly musical city!

Well, I live in Hamamatsu, but was not born here, while Hiromi was born in Hamamatsu, yet I very much doubt she still lives here!

Kind regards,
James
x

Before my 2 week cash back period ran out on my recent purchase of an RD700GX, I went back to Sam Ash with my Sony headphones to once again check out the Yamaha CP300. I still feel that the Yamaha's pianos are far superior to the Roland. However, I concluded (again) that the Roland has a far superior set of sound capability and its keys are superior in tactile feel and mechanical action. After playing the Roland now two weeks, I felt that the Yamaha's keyboard was a bit "slow". It also felt odd to press a key and not feel the subtle escapement in the works. Also, the RD's real-time panel controls are much more usable than those of the CP300, and the editing of patches on the Roland is much easier and offers much more variety. Finally, the RD is lighter, and also expandable. I just wish it had the Yamaha's presence and warmth in the pianos.

Your Mileage May Vary.

If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.
B
B
That's interesting. I found my Yamaha P250 (which was the model right before the CP300 and pretty much identical) piano sounds way too bright and sold it for a Roland because I thought the Roland had much more warmth. I guess everyones ears are different!

F
F
I think the bottom line is that we're talking about the best 3 stage pianos available from Roland (GX), Yamaha (CP), and Kawai (MP8), respectively. It still comes down to a subjective call, but having owned each, I'm presently favoring the Roland. Ideally, I'd like to see the best of each combined into one unit, but that appears to be only available from Bosendorder (at a price tag of $20K???) - ouch

C
C
I chose the CP 300.. and it's "bright" sound is adjustable..
I found the Roland keyboard a bit dead.. not enough resistance..
As for sound.. I'm happy with my CP300 It will do me for a long while.. It really is a nice instrument with lots of variables.. if a litle heavy..
I'm happy with it..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission