2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dmax Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello. I know there have been a number of questions posted along these lines but I'll try to make mine easy by giving some specific criteria. I am looking for the piano that will serve for a few years while determining if anyone in the house will stick with it. I have a real tendancy to over-analyse purchases and get caught up in research so it is my hope that there might be some consensus here on a few models that might suit my needs.

The wish list:

- Budget $1,500 - $2,000
- Must be digital as I am most likely to practice after West Wing.
- Most important feature is action as this is intended to be a launch-pad to an acoustic.
- Don't care if it sounds like a dump truck as long as it's MIDI wink
- Bells and whistles not required. Outside a volume control, a headphone jack and (probably) MIDI, it doesn't need to have anything an acoustic doesn't. The last time I checked, Steinways didn't come with reverb controls. laugh
- 64 voices min
- Has to be a consumer model as it will "live" in the living room. The fine furniture look isn't necessary but my wife won't go for a pro stand w/speakers.

Question 2: I've read in several posts that digitals suffer swift depreciation. If this is true, why not buy a good used one?

Thank you very much,
Dave

dMax
S
S
Dave, one of my personal fav's is the Roland FP series. It meets all your criteria. While it is a pro level keyboard, I do believe the new models have a nice looking stand for home use. Some of the models have built in speakers, but I am not sure about the newest version. To answer your second question, yes, anything with a computer chip inside devalues quickly as newer/better hits the market. A good used digital is actually your best bet. The older Roland FP's have basically the same action as the new ones, (I'm sure they have made a few refinements) and the sound can be upgraded easily with MIDI. Don't count out pro level pianos, as they seem to have the best action, IMO. (Also more value/quality for the same price OR LESS than a consumer piano). If you look around, you may find some that have a consumer stand, (like the FP) or you might be able to find some company that makes 'home stands' for consumers like you. I suggest looking for digitals made by Roland, Yamaha, and Korg first. Let us know what you find and good luck in your search.

|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission