2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Aldous Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, my Kawai MP9000 appears to be dying. When I bought it used, it was my first DP and I needed it for my NYC apartment (neighbors, you know).

I like its compactness on the stand, especially since I'm going to get two of them to do concerto and 2-piano stuff with friends. The room is small. Am I right in assuming that the stage DPs take up less room? I know they are lighter (portability being their main draw).

But, because of the portability factor, are they inferior to the home/console DPs?

Would a Kawai CE200 be a better instrument (action, sound, etc.) than, say the MP8II?

So, I guess my concerns are:

1) quality
2) footprint -- how much space either one would take up.
3) weight -- since I live in a NYC walkup and anything too heavy involves big bucks for moving and dealing with crabby movers who want huge tips in addtion to the extra-weight moving costs already incurred.

I'm new to this, so your advice out there would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ich grolle nicht.
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Stage DP's are not "inferior," but they are designed for gigging musicians. If you are playing at a level which includes concertos and four-handed pieces, home pianos are the better choice. These will have three pedals and speakers built into their cabinets. (Some stage pianos do, some don't.)

You can improve the sound of either type of DP by using external speakers, but pedals which don't have to be chased around the floor are more difficult to arrange.

If your playing partners are not used to DP's, the home style will seem more natural to them.

A stage piano + stand + pedals will take up pretty much the same amount of space as will a home DP.

Because you're used to the stage configuration, it might be useful to go around to music shops and audition home pianos. As you get used to their shape, it'll be easier to consider them in relation to their appropriateness for what you want to do.

Aldous Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, FogVille.

Do you know if the home pianos are considerably heavier than the stage ones?

Ich grolle nicht.
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Yes, they are. Probably three or four times heavier, even including stand and pedal unit for the stage type. But you'll only be moving it/them once.

Whichever one/type you decide on, please be sure that delivery is done in its original packing box. The box makes moving a DP much easier, because it can be slid - more easily than you might think. If you resell, the box will help you market it more broadly - eBay, for example.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Aldous, referring to the respective owner's manuals:

MP8II: 35kg (77lbs), 1466 x 442 x 189 mm
CE200: 62kg (137lbs), 1386 x 505 x 873 mm

Note that MP8II is a little heavier than other stage pianos (the Yamaha CP300 weights 32.5 kg) due to the wooden key action.

While the CE200 is a very competitive product, the MP8II offers a superior selection of features and sounds, and is arguably the more logical replacement for your MP9000.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Aldous Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, James. I appreciate the info.

Ich grolle nicht.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission