2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#673545 11/20/02 12:03 AM
T
tho Offline OP
OP Offline
T
anyone have any suggestions on purchasing a digital keyboard or basically anything that is portable, near full length keyboard, weighted keys, synthesizing/effects unnecassary, that i can use to practice on? im completely lost in the wide world of electronic keyboards. again, i dont need anything with doodads or gadgets, just something that is close in length to a piano that i can practice on. thanks much.

Like you, tho, I am in the market for a digital keyboard. After some consideration, I'm targeting the Yamaha P-80. I like the fact that: the keys are weighted, it's portable for a full-size keyboard, it lacks features that are unimportant to me but has a very good piano sound. I already have an acoustic piano, but my decision to obtain a digital is so I can practise at night without interrupting the household and I think the P-80 is a very cost effective solution for me. I spent quite some time reading users' keyboard reviews and comments over at Harmony Central . I found much of the info there to be informative, so I suggest you check it out too. Good luck in your search!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
have you considered the Yamaha P200, the p80's big brother -- includes onboard speaker? I like the touch of both, infinitely better than the digitals of a few years back.

Ken

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
ES-1 or EX-1 Kawai both are good.
Nice action and good sound.

I have a Kawai ESX. I think it blows P-80 out of the water. -Peter

kluurs, the Yamaha P200 is good but I don't need the built-in speakers. I'm planning on using some high-quality open-air headphones during the evening (not sure which model yet, possibly Sennheiser), and plugging the P80 into my home system during the day. I'm thinking almost any stand-alone amplified speaker system will sound better than the P200's built-in system.

I've not tried any of the Kawai models. With the exception of the MP9500, aren't the Kawai digitals 32-note polyphony only? OlderGuy, you sound convinced the ESX is better - can you qualify how exactly it's better than the P-80? I really like the silver finish of the ESX, however:

[Linked Image]

The ESX has a little bit lighter touch vs P80.
It is personal, but I like the piano sound better too. Altogether, the differences are not that dramatical, I admit. Peter

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission