2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
N
smile Yeah, it doesn't help that there are 3-4 different graded actions with different sub-features (like wooden keys, or Escapement) from each different manufacturer, and you'd have to be a mechanical engineer to have a shot at analyzing the differences without playing on them.

First, thank you jscomposer. I come by here often and it often seems to be the same question repeated over and over. Good on ya for trying to answer it in the least amount of space!

I'd like to second bitwrangler's idea of a section for those interested on gigging vs. home acoustic piano replacement. It might be also useful to create a separate FAQ for those interested in gigging. It can also cover things like cases, stands, cables, connectors, monitoring, etc. that can make the difference between frustration and a good show.

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by MonksDream:
First, thank you jscomposer. I come by here often and it often seems to be the same question repeated over and over. Good on ya for trying to answer it in the least amount of space!

I'd like to second bitwrangler's idea of a section for those interested on gigging vs. home acoustic piano replacement. It might be also useful to create a separate FAQ for those interested in gigging. It can also cover things like cases, stands, cables, connectors, monitoring, etc. that can make the difference between frustration and a good show.
I hear ya. I'll try to supplement it with gigging basics when I get a chance and have had more time to think about my own experiences gigging.

In the meantime, and this goes out to everyone, please reply to this thread with your own input on gigging considerations, and anything else for that matter. I'm not the be-all-end-all! Some people have more experience in certain areas and with certain equipment and features than others. So please pipe in! I can update the original post by either copy/pasting, paraphrasing, or linking to your reply. And I make sure to acknowledge contributers in the original post!

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Corrected a small error in the "Pedals" section, to reflect that some digital pianos come with two pedal input jacks, where the second is stereo and can support both sostenuto and una corda simultaneously.

And as requested, I added a section on gigging considerations. Though most of my performances have been on acoustic pianos, so if anyone who gigs primarily on a digital would like to add, feel free.

Hi jscomposer,

As your thread still isn't a seperate sticky, i added the corrections to the "PLEASE READ THIS FIRST FOR ADVICE BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION"-sticky i started.

wink

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Copilot:
Hi jscomposer,

As your thread still isn't a seperate sticky, i added the corrections to the "PLEASE READ THIS FIRST FOR ADVICE BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION"-sticky i started.

wink
Wouldn't it be easier to just provide a brief description with a link to this thread, rather than to have to update that sticky every time this gets updated? smile That sticky is kinda cluttered right now anyway.

Yes you are right jscomposer, i changed it with a link. It's smaller and a bit less cluttered now.

wink

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
Nice overview! I have something to add to the Gigging considerations section though.

Performance considerations

Splits and leyers "Splitting" the keyboard means being able to play two different sounds on different halves of the keyboard. For instance, playing an acoustic bass sound with your left hand and piano sounds with the right hand. "Layering" means being able to play two sounds simultaneously across the entire keyboard. For instance, playing both a piano and violin sound at the same time with every key. Take a look at how easy it is to split or layer sounds on your intended DP. Stage pianos are laid out to make this sort of thing easily done on-the-fly. Some console DPs require you to remember unintuitive button and key-press combinations that are easily forgotten in the heat of performance. Being able to add strings or organ to your right hand or to play a bass sound with your left hand is one of the most common requirements of a keyboard player in a band.

Transposition The "Transposition" function allow you to change the pitch of the piano so you can play the same piece in different keys without having to change your hand positions. Look at how easy it is to transpose the piano or either/both sides of a layer or split. Yes, we should all learn to transpose to any key. However you'll be really glad the transpose function is available when that Famous Singer decides to sit in with your band at the last minute and you have to play that tune you know in F major in Db major instead, or when someone says "I do that tune in Eb but my sheet music in G. Is that a problem?". Trust me, it happens. Just smile and hit the Transpose button. cool

On stage you want these functions available with a minimum of searching and key-presses.The Roland RD stage pianos and the Nord DPs do an exceptional job in these areas. Yamaha stage pianos aren't far behind, I can't speak for other brands.

Addendum After posting this I noticed SSB's post on layers/splits. He does a great job of explaining it however this post tries to speak to their availability in a gigging context.

I don't understand, why would you want to play anything other than piano sounds on your keyboard? what is the need for bass sounds and organs etc, those sounds are not on a real acoustic piano?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ever heard of composing? Playing in a band? Having fun?

Les C Deal

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by MonksDream:
Nice overview! I have something to add to the Gigging considerations section though.
Cool. Thanks. I added a link to your post. thumb

iroh - one of the great advantages of playing a keyboard instrument, either alone or with others, is the ability to play more than one timbre, often at the same time. In a gigging situation that ability is often called upon which is why I wrote my post.

It's also a helluva lot of fun! I encourage you to try it. laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission