2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#671618 03/07/07 03:31 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I've been reading the forums, and am totally confused. I play keyboard in a contemporary worship band - using Alesis QS8. I like it, but am looking for something else (mine has some problems now and then). I'm considering buying a Yamaha CP-300, Yamaha Noctrune Grand contemporary, Yamaha Motif ES8, Yamaha S90 ES Synth., or Roland RD-700SX Digital Piano, or a Korg.

I want something that sounds and plays like a grand piano, yet has the ability to play lots of different instrumental sounds (strings, pads, horns....etc.). I want to be able to grow into it because I don't want to buy another one for awhile. Would like something that is understandable - maybe has a manual smile I only have access to a Guitar Center and they don't have all of these available to play and sample. I can only order Rolands online - no local dealer to work on it if I have problems. I'm overwhelmed on what to do. Any ideas or advise?

Thanks in advance!
Mindmaze

M
M
Well, you'll find tons of threads in this forum that talk about all of these instruments. From my perspective, I just perchased the S90ES and I'll tell you, I'll be 'growing' into this one for many years to come. Many people feel the CP300 plays more like a real piano but it doesn't have all the fancy sounds. The RD700 is probably easier to understand but again, not all the fancy sounds. The S90ES has one heck of a learning curve to it but it goes to show what the eventual capabilities of this unit are. It does, in my opinion, have the best piano samples around but it plays like a portable keyboard. It's a nice action but it's not the real thing. But then again, if you want the real thing, buy a Steinway. smile

Hope this helps,

musicair

Ok ok ok. I think most people here can sympathize with you.

Couple of things.

1. Dealers don't work on problems, service centers do. Check with Roland and Yamaha for the nearest service centers.

2. I'm surprised that the GC does not carry the RD-700SX. My local music store does and it's not as big as GC.

3. From your requirements I can recommend the Yamaha S90ES and the Roland RD-700SX. I've tried both out and they are very nice instruments. I'm not a professional though so all the features really lost me. They were both too much machine for me. They both have expansion card abilities so you can add on additional sounds when you need them. The S90ES has arguably the best built-in piano sample on the market. If you want it to play like a grand piano though the S90ES has a balanced action while the RD700SX has a graded action like a grand.

4. If I remember correctly the CP300 has very good built in speakers which would increase the weight dramatically. If you need portability you should stick to keyboards without speakers like the two I mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission