2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#670908 12/19/07 02:47 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi, need help big time.This is all new to me. I would like to buy a nice keyboard but don't know what to buy. Right now I think a Keystation Pro88 would be a good buy but would like to know if there is a better one close to the price mange or a little higher.

Good controller

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
From recent posts it looks like people are not too happy about the touch of that particular model. What exactly are you looking for in a keyboard?

D
D
Hello darryl,

When I first started looking, that particular model was one I was considering. My budget was $400. Then a few people here suggest I "reconsider". smile Anyhow, the specific advice given to me about the M-Audio is all posted in this thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/4030.html

As you continue to look around and as you get more specific questions, don't hesitate to post them. The people here are very helpful! smile

Good luck!
dave

D
D
Could take a look at the CME or Novation (though Novation maxes out at 61 keys)

D
OP Offline
D
I want a nice touch and 88 keys. I would like some thing that feels like a piano so my little girl can learn to play piano on it. I want to use it with computer software so it does not have to have anything onboard as I have a very powerful computer to run software.

Just want a well made keyboard I have read through most of the post here looking for info. seems the Casio PX-110 88Is nice but has onboard sound. Would rather spend the money on the keyboard not the sound chip in it

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by darryl123456:
I want a nice touch and 88 keys. I would like some thing that feels like a piano so my little girl can learn to play piano on it. I want to use it with computer software so it does not have to have anything onboard as I have a very powerful computer to run software.

Just want a well made keyboard I have read through most of the post here looking for info. seems the Casio PX-110 88Is nice but has onboard sound. Would rather spend the money on the keyboard not the sound chip in it
From what I've read Casio's touch is much better than M-Audio's. You're getting fully weighted, graded action. You're really not paying for the sound chip - it's the mechanical parts that add to the cost. You can also use the PX110 as a MIDI controller if you're planning on using a PC to generate sound.

D
OP Offline
D
Hi,yes that is what I wanted to do was use PC to generate sounds. I was going to buy a korg m1 or i30 but thought I could do better if I bought a nice keyboard and use the computer to generate the sounds.

T
T
Hi,
You might want to check out the casio cdp-100, it's supposed to have the same action as px-110. Felt the same to me also when I tried it. A bit noisier perhaps. It has a crappier sound generator and is cheaper. I was seriously considering buying one but ended up getting the px-110 myself because its good to avoid the hassle of hooking it up to a computer and still get decent sound. Just press the power button and play. It also supports 3 pedals and half damper.

Edit: Oh, and about paying for the sound chip. Unfortunately the truth is the piano comanies won't shy away from asking major bucks for a better chip even if it costs the same or even less to produce. It's the same with line out for example. It would cost the manufacturer hardly more than the price of the connection jack to add it (and it would be a good thing to have) but the philosophy is that if you want a feature you gotta pay.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by darryl123456:
Hi,yes that is what I wanted to do was use PC to generate sounds. I was going to buy a korg m1 or i30 but thought I could do better if I bought a nice keyboard and use the computer to generate the sounds.
That's pretty much what I did - I bought a $400 PX110, and then spent another $300 on Synthogy's Ivory.

D
OP Offline
D
I think a Studiologic SL-990 Pro looks to be a nice board. I read that the SL880Pro is a nice board but I can't find any around.

So do think this would be a good choice in a well made midi keyboard Studiologic SL-990 Pro $449?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here's someone with a similar dilemma as yours:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25464757

I'm running Ivory on my PC when I feel like listening to some great software pianos, but quite frankly I often just use the built in sound of my Casio as well. Sometimes I just don't feel like booting my computer and starting the Host.

You're saying your daughter is going to be using the piano. Can she operate the computer, and start the necessary programs? With Privia (or any other keyboard as opposed to a controller), all she needs to do is turn it on - and start playing. Recording is a breeze too - just press the record button.

You're essentially getting a piano, and a controller in one. I understand where you're coming from - you don't need the "built in sounds" so you're figuring that $449 without built in sounds will give you more than $400 with built in sounds. That's not necessarily true - Privia is a pretty good deal as it is - I bet they sell more of those than the dedicated controllers - they can afford smaller profit margins.

I guess the bottom line is what's the main purpose of the instrument? If it's mainly for learning piano - I'd definitely go with Privia. If it's mainly for messing around with virtual instruments, then I'd consider a dedicated controller, but only because of built in pitch wheel.

D
D
the Casio PX-110 88Is nice but has onboard sound. Would rather spend the money on the keyboard not the sound chip in it
I felt exactly the same way when I started searching for a keyboard! I figured that since I would be using the computer anyhow, I didn't need a soundchip and speakers. But then I tried that key action... oh, it felt good! Even if it didn't have a soundchip, it would be worth $400. So just imagine that they threw in that other stuff for free! How nice of them. smile

all she needs to do is turn it on - and start playing
Even though a soundchip isn't a requirement for you, as was pointed out, it really can be a benefit. Even I was happy to get one for that rare time that I just want to work out a jingle that's in my head without loading up all the "equipment". I can just flip it on and play. You never want to delay creativity! smile

Enjoy... I'm sure you'll be having a lot of fun on your new keyboard whatever you pick! smile

dave

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks to all for your help. I'm still lost but will keep reading reviews and make a decision soon.

T
T
It's really surprising the number of people who want to buy a cheap keyboard and then add an expensive sample library to it. It's clearly a result of reading reviews and I don't think that tells the whole story.

There's something about owning a good stand-alone instrument that goes beyond reviews... it can inspire you to play better, it can go with you to recitals or to Grandma's house, it can take the stage when that time comes, it can be a personal learning companion when all you want is a quiet corner and a pair of headphones. It's not an intimidating ensemble of software, monitors, cables, interfaces and technology. It's a musical instrument and it's also a friend. That's what a $700 piano can give you that a $400 piano + $300 software Franken-piano can't (not to mention the cost of the computer, speakers, MIDI gear etc).

I use software pianos too - for recording my albums where the quality of sound is critical. But I also own pianos that I can switch on and play without a computer. It reminds me that I am practicing an art, not playing a video game.

I have been recommending the Casio PX200 and/or PX800 for both quality of action and sound for some time now, and it's still the best sub-$1000 digital piano IMHO. The M-Audio Keystation 88 is awful on both counts. And yes you can combine a Casio CDP-100 with Ivory if you're the type that would strap a jet engine to a mule. But if it were my little girl, I would get her an instrument she could be proud of all by itself.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by The Pro:
It's really surprising the number of people who want to buy a cheap keyboard and then add an expensive sample library to it. It's clearly a result of reading reviews and I don't think that tells the whole story.
I don't find it surprising at all. It is the most economic way about getting the best sound.

Look at the sheer size of Ivory database - 40GB of data - that's pianos only. I doubt Casio, or even higher end pianos, have 1/10th of that, and it shows. In Ivory each key is sampled individually on 10 levels. There is no looping involved. Can you say the same thing about Casio PX200? I'm not knocking down Privia here either - I own one. But the difference between built in sounds, and the software piano library is huge - especially on a good set of headphones.

D
OP Offline
D
I was looking a real pianos first, than I looked to see how often it needed to be tuned and most forums say twice a year. It only cost about $200 to have it tuned twice a year. That was it for me. I'm sure a nice pianos it the way to go. I don't have the money for the maintenance. Nothing worse than a out of tune piano. lol
I already have the computer and speakers and sound card. This way I will be getting alot more use out of my computer.

My little girl is 6 and wants to play a electric guitar, I told her to learn piano first than I will get her a guitar. She said ok, so a couple of years of piano lessons and she is off to a great start in music

It is not about getting a cheap keyboard, because for us it is a expensive one. Just want to give my kids some thing to do other than run the streets bored.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission