2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
"Key Grease" What is it? Where to buy it. I've searched the forums and googled the question with little result. (Actually, that's what led to my discovery, and membership, of this forum). I'm restoring a Roland RD-300s (see picture in this thread: Are air canisters safe to use on a DP? ). I've seen some here recommend Lithium grease, but I'm reluctant to use something of that low viscosity (very thin). I have spoken to Roland and they would be happy to sell me a tub of their mistery-goo (no that's not what it's actually called and the Roland guy didn't have any name for it other than "pink key grease" - note that an alternate "blue key grease" was also available) for $72 (which is probably enough to do 1,000 keyboards and I only want to do one.) Anyone have any sources for a small amount of the right stuff ?

Kurzweil K2600xs - yeah, it's purple :p , Alesis M1 Active MkII Monitors, [b]Roland RD-300s Restoration Project[/b] completed.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I don't know where the grease is used. Does it need to have specific dielectric properties, or is it just a mechanical lubricant? We have a material science lab at work. If I knew what I was asking for, I could ask them.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
P
OP Offline
P
It is applied to the black plastic guides that ride inside each plastic key. It's super slick, so slick in fact if you try to hold the plastic piece with a pair of needle-nose pliers it just falls out. My guess is it is some form of teflon. You can see the white stuff on the black plastic guides in this picture:
[Linked Image]

Kurzweil K2600xs - yeah, it's purple :p , Alesis M1 Active MkII Monitors, [b]Roland RD-300s Restoration Project[/b] completed.
P
OP Offline
P
No specific dielectric properties required - it's purely mechanical.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by PlatonicSolid:
It is applied to the black plastic guides that ride inside each plastic key.
OK, I get the idea. I'll ask the eggheads at work, someone probably knows.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
White Lithium grease should work fine.

Will reduce friction and shouldn't get runny under any operating temperatures the keybed would be subject to.

It probably has something to do with lessening friction as the keys are depressed to provide a smoother action...so it works as a lubricant then for a smoother action in depressing keys (possibly even during the release of a key as it returns to its original "un-depressed" key).

I'm wondering however, how this "smoother feel" due to less friction would be during the summer when temperature is high and during winter when temperature is low?...I presume that due to certain properties of the grease the key depression might be a little heavier during cold weather or low temperature than during warmer temperatures (during summers maybe).

I have a couple of questions though:

1) in time, basing it on the RD-300 that you have currently, how much of the grease appear to have been "integrated" (or solidified or even somewhat dried up) into the black supporting plastic guides leading to a need in re-application of "key grease"

2) since you've opened up an RD-300 currently, could you at least let us in some inside, "first-hand" info if it actually has "springs" in them?...I mean under each individual key that would sort of help the keys return to their original position after being depressed...I'm just curious laugh

PX-5S FA-06 LaunchKey 61 SL-MKII Graphite 49; VST: Pianoteq 6+Bluethner UVI TrueKeys EWQL-SO + Hollywood Strings/Brass, AAS GS-2+LL EP4 Sonokinetic; Mobile DAW ROG G751J: i7 4720 32GB RAM 250+500 GB SSD Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiQst_xQwNgKL_FS9OXSKw
P
OP Offline
P
Originally posted by BeowulfX:
1) in time, basing it on the RD-300 that you have currently, how much of the grease appear to have been "integrated" (or solidified or even somewhat dried up) into the black supporting plastic guides leading to a need in re-application of "key grease"
None of the grease shows any sign of solidifying, drying or degrading in any way. As this is a complete disassembly, and since some dust migrated to the grease during disassembly, I'd prefer to thoroughly wash all the plastic pieces - then apply new key grease. At the moment I have all the guides in a sealed plastic bag - grease intact - until I find the right stuff. I will not use lithium grease as I'm reasonably confident that it's not what this is.
Originally posted by BeowulfX:
2) since you've opened up an RD-300 currently, could you at least let us in some inside, "first-hand" info if it actually has "springs" in them?...I mean under each individual key that would sort of help the keys return to their original position after being depressed...I'm just curious [Big Grin]
Yes, there are springs inside each key. I will put together a web page with a complete collection of step by step pictures when I'm done. I will create a new thread with a link to this new page and post it in this forum.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I talked to the materials guys at work, they suggested using a dry silicon or teflon lubricant. Avoid any petroleum based product unless it specifically states it's OK for that type of plastic. They said some kinds of white lithium grease are safe for plastics, but not all plastics, so probably best to avoid it. They suggested dry teflon as the first choice to avoid attracting dust and grit, but here's a grease form of teflon:

Teflon Grease

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission