2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#668383 06/19/03 03:08 AM
R
OP Offline
R
hi, i am new to this forum and i got many useful important report on digital piano from . this esteem forum. here i want to ask if anybody can help or give proper advice for home/stage combined purpose digital should be close to accoustic touch and sound.i saw fp-5 roland/p-120/250/yamaha. korg sp-300.which is best seller as i personally interested in fp-5 of roland but i am not in possition to take demo personally as i am from india and those models not available at presnt here so it is not possible to compare quality of piano so please help me in this regards.my budget is us $ 1800/.
with warm regards rajoo from india.

F
fr Offline
F
Don't buy a digital piano until you've played it first. Although the ones that you've listed are popular and often touted, it's a good idea to try as many as possible including manufacturers and models that you didn't list. Selecting a digital piano is similar to selecting an accoustical piano: let your fingers and ears tell you what you like best in the way of touch and tone since they all vary in these respects.

Is there a city that's not too far away from you with piano/music stores? You can travel there and play all the digitals that you're interested in. Then and only then will you be in a position to make your selection.

I think he's saying that he can't try out the models in person, so he needs our advice. I assume that means an online purchase is pending.

Rajoo, it boils down to what you prefer in acoustic pianos. If you like a lighter touch and a mellower piano sound, go Roland. If you like a heavier touch and a brighter piano sound, go Yamaha. I can't speak for the Korg because I haven't tried it.

When I tried both at the store, the key action on the P120 was noticeably firmer than the FP5, and the piano sound had a crisper treble - you could really hear the sound an acoustic piano makes when it hits the string. My personal preferences, however, are just the opposite, so it's no surprise that I bought the FP5. The FP5 also has more voices than the P120.

While I've had very little experience with the P250, it's my understanding that it has the heavier action of the P120, with more voices than the FP5, plus excellent speakers and 128-note polyphony. However, it's by far the most expensive of the bunch - in fact, a touch over your budget.

Disclosure: adult self-teacher ~RCM 8. ~~ Must - Get - Off - Everquest ~~
R
OP Offline
R
thank ufr and jd woowoo for your reply. now let me clear as here in india thosemodel not available so question of personal demo is not arise.as i saw those on net only ang gethered information from other musicians.i want piano with built in speaker for practice/sound and touch is close to accoustice/rhythm/additional sounds/and portable/useful for homeand stage.i agree with jd woowoo as i am not in position to take demo so i ask for advice from this esteem forum which helps lot to begginers or newcomer like me so please free to give yors opinion which will help me to select models. as i personaly interested in roland fp-5 of which i got report it is very goodpiano so any body can compare those models pl give your advice and detail report of fp-5 if possible. thank u.rajoo.

L
L
Here's a review I wrote a few weeks ago, about my Yamaha P120 and my Roland FP-3. The FP-5 is basically the same thing as the FP-3, plus built-in speakers.

------------------------------

Overview:
The Yamaha P120 makes for a tough call between itself and the Roland FP-3. I have had the Yammie for a few months, and the Roland for several. In very brief summary - if I could keep only one of them, it would be the Roland. But if you're after simple -piano- more than anything else, the Yamaha is a wee bit more satisfying. Nevertheless, I think I'll be quite critical (if perhaps not very thorough).

Sounds:
The grand piano in the Yamaha has more body, and more character throughout the velocity crossfades. The attack is bright and crisp, obviously sampled from a Yamaha grand (C6 or C7 I'd guess). The Roland is smoother, cleaner, and "sings" a little easier. I never use any of the handful of other sounds on the Yamaha, so I can't speak much about them. But the "bonus" sounds on the Roland are pretty extensive, and even useful in many cases, entertaining or goofy in others. There are a LOT more of them in the Roland - maybe important to some folks... but not to people just after the piano. My summary of the main "grand piano" patch in each: Roland = cleaner, Yamaha = "busier". Both are pretty nice.

Speakers?:
The built-in speakers of the Yamaha might be useful to some, but really, they stink - use a good set of monitors or even a home stereo. In some performance situations, or for schools, etc - the built-in speakers might be pretty handy, as nearfield monitors. A 3-way switch allows you to control whether they're on or off, or if they should automatically shut off when headphones are detected. The newer Roland FP-5 is more comparable in this respect, but much more expensive too. Speakers in almost all "portable" pianos are pretty lame.

Pedals, action:
The Yamaha allows two pedals - one sustain (supplied) and one soft (purchased separately). The soft pedal is only barely useful, the effect is a bit too subtle, and is obviously just a drop in volume, with some eq applied, like dropping the "brightness slider" down to 25%. The sustain pedal is more interesting - because it allows half-pedal! Well, sort of. The "half-pedal zone" is a very narrow range, and while I guess that's also true of an acoustic, it's not nearly as easy to "feel" on a digital, without the leverage, vibrations and other queues you get on the real thing. The fancy sustain pedal does have one real problem - it's squeaky and clunky beyond belief - very, very annoying. Yamaha's regular pedals do not have this problem! Roland's pedals are fine.

I originally liked the Yamaha key action better than the Roland. Not anymore. It's a bit more resistant than the Roland, and initially that reminded me of the pianos I'm accustomed to. In fact I'm sure many folks will prefer it for this reason - it's quite honest. But the Roland feels more like a GOOD piano - or at least one that's been very well regulated. But do note that BOTH are better than any upright I've ever played. (of course I've never had the chance to fondle a Fandrich). The Roland almost feels "better than reality". That's why I say "honest" about the Yamaha. Neither of them has that little 2nd resistance you feel in an acoustic. I don't remember the term for it.

Chassis notes:
The jacks and switches of the Yamaha are on the left side - kinda caught me by surprise, so I thought it was worth mentioning. My studio is setup so the piano forms an 'L' with the computer desk, and due to all those cables sticking out, there's an ugly gap. No big deal for most folks, I guess. Other than that, basic stuff, neither seems any better than the other.

Midi, etc:
Neither of these "semi-pro" machines will output midi from the built-in sequencer, making it functionally useless for pros or even would-be composers. That really, really made me grouchy. But hey, for what they were intended, these little sequencers are pretty okay. The Yamaha seems a little easier to use, but that's not saying much, they're both brain-dead simple. The Yamaha includes a stupid serial port for midi. I don't know why they still bother. USB would be useful - serial is archaic.

------------------

That's about it. I do like my Roland FP-3 a bit better than my Yamaha P120. I did not feel this way just a few months ago. I'd buy an FP-5 if I needed to replace either of them. And if it had a real sequencer in it (like Yamaha P250) I'd sell my P120 and get it right away.

-Zo

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Personally, I would probably opt for a more "pro" keyboard and add a couple of good powered monitor and/or headphones. It might be a bit more than your budget, but there are advantages. The "pro" keyboard would be more portable, the overall sound quality of the pro system would be better, and there would probably be a great selection of sounds. Not to mention full MIDI support and other "pro" features. Anyway, just a thought...

Ryan

Wow, great review, Lorenzo! As for FP-5 vs FP-3, the FP-5 does have a USB port, plus built-in speakers (yes, they are rather feeble) and more voices (tonewheel organ + General MIDI) than the FP-3, a few more built-in songs, and allows half-pedaling in the sustain.

I definitely agree about the action on Yamaha vs. Roland. To reiterate Lorenzo's words, the Roland action resembles a piano in world-class regulation. I once had a salesman show me that the weighting is the same as a Steinway grand. But let's face it, who has one of those?

The Yamaha action more closely resembles the "average" piano, and in that sense is more realistic. However, that is not necessarily a good thing. In fact, for reasons which I do not fully understand, there have been some complaints of tendinitis from the firmness of the Yamaha action.

L
L
Originally posted by JDWooWoo:
Wow, great review, Lorenzo! As for FP-5 vs FP-3...[snip]
Thanks for the clarification, JD - I haven't researched the FP-5 because it came out awhile after I bought both of mine, and don't want to be tempted so soon!

Sounds like a great board, and more comparable to the Yamaha P-250!

As for the other poster's suggestion of going with a "pro" board instead - I totally agree if the piano will see actual gigging. In that case, the Roland RD-700 is your board! (though the Yamaha S90 is incredibly, very, very nice, and has a better more "versatile" action than their own P-120).

-Zo

R
OP Offline
R
dear lorenzo.
yes,i also agree with dear jdwoo woo.for your review is most and realy great. it is very useful forme. so thank u and jd. in fact i e mail u both before posting this new topic but un fortunatly it has not reach to u both as i always in touch and regular viewer of this esteem forum for last two month.so i found your advice most helpful in this regards as i have already order directly roland japan for fp-5 in first week of april after their launching at namm .i will get piano first week of july so i was worried about its quality as i have no chance here in india to compare or take demo personaly as those piano is not available in ready stock we have to place order blindly so that is not practical . as how is this model is almost clear and i hope that i will be happy with this . thank u all. any further advice wellcome u can also e mail me on my id r_jgandhi@yahoo.co.in with warm regards. rajoo from india.

E
E
Good luck on your purchase. I had to do the same thing too: buy one long distance. Actually I ended up with two; a Roland fp-5 & yamaha p80. I'm using the p80 more as I'm still a beginner & find the heavier keyboard resistance "challenges" me more. I'm happy with both & would probably make the same decisions if I had to do it all over again.

Let us know what you think of your Roland when you get it!

Erica

now i would like to ask u about its built in speaker quality as it is sufficient sounding with bass powerful? require only for home practce is that enough output? which headhone is suitable for practice? and above all how r the touch and sound is that close enough to accoustic /is that model is well appriciated in market?
The speakers on the FP-5 are very basic - nothing special, and not much bass. I personally have no problem with them, but I have never felt a need for great speakers. (e.g., my stereo is a cheapie boom box)

Definitely the sound is better with headphones. Again, since I am so easy to please, my recommendations may not be the best, but I use plain ol' Sony Walkman headphones. What's most important here is that the headphones must have bass boost. I had one pair of headphones (that actually cost more) that didn't have the bass, and the sound was HORRIBLE - much worse than the built-in speakers. And if I can't stand it, that's pretty bad.

About touch and tone: I find the touch perfect. I would caution you that I am used to pianos with light touchweights, and the FP-5 is in that range, maybe a little heavier. Those that are used to heavier touchweights generally prefer Yamaha.

I enjoy the FP-5 tone very much, especially with the brightness knob at the mellowest setting. It is not as realistic as Yamaha; the octave or two above middle C has a fair amount of electronic sound to it. But, I find it much easier to achieve a "hammerless" sound (i.e. with very little initial "bang" when you press the keys) on the FP-5 than on the Yamahas, and that is very important to me.

One feature that isn't often mentioned is the half-pedal capability (which Yamaha also has on the P120). I use this a LOT, such as with certain Bach pieces that sound dull to me without pedaling, but don't take a full sustain well either.

Market appreciation - you will never get any on a digital. Definitely that should not be a reason for buying one. Actually, I don't think it should be a reason for buying an acoustic, either!

R
OP Offline
R
dear jd woowoo thank u very much for yr kind advice and open report for fp-5.i willlook forward to others opinion as i would like to hear from dear steev y. as he give best opinion like u. regards. rajoo.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Did they not upgrade the basic grand piano 1 patch on the FP5 compared to the FP5?

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
I am going to reccomend the Yamaha P120 Pro. Stage Piano. It has Superb Acoustic Pianos and other sounds, Superb Action and Features. IMO, the Roland FP5 and Yamaha P250 are poor choices, as they do not have the superb clarity and action that the p120 has. So I am going to reccomend the Yamaha P120, because it has superb sounds, features, and action.

P120Dude

www.newenglandmusic.biz.ly

The Yamaha P120 is da bomb! It rocks! It is superb, fantastic, awesome!

*Yamaha P120 Stage Piano*Yamaha CS1X Synthesizer
Originally posted by p120Man:
I am going to reccomend the Yamaha P120 Pro. Stage Piano. It has Superb Acoustic Pianos and other sounds, Superb Action and Features. IMO, the Roland FP5 and Yamaha P250 are poor choices, as they do not have the superb clarity and action that the p120 has. So I am going to reccomend the Yamaha P120, because it has superb sounds, features, and action.
Why is this guy still posting his worthless opinion?

Originally posted by Zymtil:
[b] I am going to reccomend the Yamaha P120 Pro. Stage Piano. It has Superb Acoustic Pianos and other sounds, Superb Action and Features. IMO, the Roland FP5 and Yamaha P250 are poor choices, as they do not have the superb clarity and action that the p120 has. So I am going to reccomend the Yamaha P120, because it has superb sounds, features, and action.
Why is this guy still posting his worthless opinion? [/b]
First off,

Its not worthless. It is my opinion, it is what I believe.

Second of all, deal with it, ok?

P120Man

It is my opinion, it is what I believe.
You should probably see a doctor about that.

Originally posted by Zymtil:
[b]It is my opinion, it is what I believe.
You should probably see a doctor about that. [/b]
No, you should see a doctor, because you cannot accept other peoples opinions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission