2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, Brendan, 1957, 10 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
So I've recently purchased the Yamaha DGX620. I've have yet to actually receive this digital piano. Sadly I went all around to try to find a DGX620 or a Casio Privia 575CS to try before making the purchase. However, I couldn't find either one to try out. I did end up trying the lower ends of the Yamaha and the Casio Privia. Not sure what model Yamaha I tried, but the Privia was like a PX-700.

The Casio felt so real to the touch while the keys on the Yamaha were not so realistic. They were both scaled hammer action but the Yamaha had a phyiscal clanking noise as the keys returned to their original position. Nothing you could actually hear with the sound turned up but you could definitely feel it through the keys.

So here's my question ( I know, I take forever to get to the point );

Does anyone have a DGX620 and what do you think?

I've done as much research as I possibly could do on both the Casio Privia 575CS and the Yamaha DGX620. Eventually I settled on the Yamaha after learning that the Casio Privia was limited on some of it's sounds to only 10 Polyphony notes and it was out of stock too long for me to wait lol. I'm just hoping I don't have buyers remorse and because I haven't received the Yamaha yet, I could always go back to getting the Privia lol. Sadly my budget is limited and my choices are few as I'm forced to go through a certain website to which I have a charge card for. I'm really a amature player anyways, I still have yet to learn how to read sheet music. The only way I can play a song is by listening to it and then playing it back. I'm pretty good at it though and I can play two seperate parts with both of my hands. I mainly play for my own personal enjoyment and to hopefully get formal lessons one day. In advance, thank you all for your responses!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The two are in the same class - each with its own benefits. Privias are known to have heavier touch than Yamahas, but that does not necessarily mean it's more realistic. You'll get used to whichever one you own. You can second-guess yourself forever, but there isn't that much difference between the two to warrant going back and forth.

D
D
I think Eternal gives excellent advice here. I just ordered a Casio Privia PX-110 (won't get it until after the new year), and I preferred it over the comparable Yamahas because I liked the feel better. Actually, I liked the feel a lot better. That being said, the feature sets on the Yamahas were impressive and I'm sure I would have done just fine with one of them as well. I'm still a newbie when it comes to all this keyboard stuff, so take my advice with a grain of salt: if you can't feel the Casio vs the Yamaha before you buy it, then I probably wouldn't bother changing your order if I was you. The "feel" is such a subjective thing, you may like the Yamamha better. Without trying them out, it's impossible to say which you'll like better. I liked the Casio better, but that's just my personal taste.

Good luck, and have fun with your new keyboard, no matter which brand it ends up being! smile

dave

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I second the response of Eternal and dave18. Don't think about changing your order before you receive the Yamaha, as both keyboards are great. I am quite sure you will enjoy the Yamaha you are getting a lot! Just wait till you see.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
O
O
Topherboy,
I'm in a similar boat, I've bought a DGX620, awaiting delivery (for my partner not myself).
I agonised for ages over all the different options on the market, worried about the key noise etc etc, but I think the bottom like is that it's a great bit of kit for the price. Whatever you get there's always something esle that's a little bit better, but guess what, it's usually more expensive as well and you've got to pitch in somewhere. Unless you're a serious and accomplpished player I doubt if the key noise will seriously detract from your enjoyment of it.
Enjoy your DGX620 for what it is.

Have a nice day - Ole

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks everyone, I'm excited to be receiving the keyboard. Anything will be better then my Casio WK-3300 which I've had for a few years now. It's going to be nice to play a keyboard that actually feels somewhat close to a piano. I even upgraded the pedal to the FC4 pedal. Now I just need to upgrade my music reading and playing database lol oh wait, that takes practice huh?

P
P
smile Enjoy your new Yamaha! And happy practicing!

Kim

Find some help for stage fright and share what helps you -- Stage Fright Tips. Let's learn from each other!
T
OP Offline
T
So I got the piano and I couldn't be more happy. The wood used in the piano itself really does give the overall feel of a high end piano. The GHS weighted keys are actually nice feeling to me. I've heard a lot of negative feed back about the weight scaling but I actually enjoy it. Of course, anything is better then my old plastic keyboard keys.

There is a bit of a physical knock back with the keys and I was originally thinking of adding some felt tape to fix the issues, but the piano already has some felt tape and I believe it's an internal issue. It's really nothing overly worrisome though as the knock back doesn't really make much of any noise, you can just feel it is all.

The only other thing I was kind of disappointed about was that there doesn't seem to be a built in synthesizer. That was the thing I loved about my old Casio was that you could edit any sound you wanted and I was able to get a great grand piano sound out of it considering it was just a plain old keyboard. I haven't tried the computer software yet so I'm hoping I can maybe find a way to tweak the voices through the computer. I also have cakewalk and other midi software so hopefully I can get it to recognize the piano.

Overall, I'm really happy. The SWEET voices are really nice and the piano sounds are much closer to the real thing then my old Casio. I really like the saxaphone voice as it has an extended recorded play when you hold down the key. Nice touch, just wish more sounds had an extended sample to them like the steel guitar. There's a lot of voices that I'm sure I'll never use but it's still fun to hear them. Also, the learning aspect of this piano seems really neat. I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks again everyone for your feed back. Definitely no buyers remorse here!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission