2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jon-nyc Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
My local dealer is quoting a price on the CLP-230 that seems ridiculously high, relative to what people are saying on this board.

Is this something I can order from an out of state dealer?

If I do that, are there downsides with the warranty? How about shipping? Does this safely ship via the national carriers or does one need a piano mover?

Also - if there are any Yamaha dealers reading this feel free to PM me if you'd like to sell me one at a reasonable price.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Did you try negotiating with the local dealer? Going in with a little knowledge ("my sources on the forum got their CLP-230s for $XYZ; can you match that or should I patronize their dealers?") might help. It might also be worth overpaying a little (say, 10%) just to have the convenience of a nearby dealer for any service problems.

jon-nyc Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I havent tried negotiating, because when I was at the dealer I didn't realize what prices others were paying.

I would happily pay an extra 10% to have the local guy do sell it to me. Unfortunately he's going for a lot more than that.

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?

But keep in mind that the list price is really just a polite fiction, posted there in the off chance that some naive soul comes in and pays full asking price without a whimper. Negotiating is as expected with pianos as it is with new cars. I'm not sure what the norms are for digital pianos, but Fine argues that for acoustics you should expect 20-30% off (his) list prices.

I personally would go back to the dealer, tell him what you have found out from others regarding the going market price on this piano, and then ask what his best price would be. Worst case scenario is that it's still higher than you want to pay, but it could save you the time and trouble of buying long-distance (look what happened to Schumann... wink ).

p.s. I forgot to add that prices in New York could very well be higher due to higher overhead. So maybe it's unrealistic to get within 10% of what others have paid.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if i were you, i would just check out some other places (nearest ones beside this dealer) and see if i can get a better deal. driving perhas one hour to other dealer and get a price with $500 or more off is much a better deal than the local one i think.

try virginia house of music at (434) 973-8621. i just got a clp 230 this weekend for $1750. they are in charlottesville va but will ship anywhere.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A loyal and devoted Yamaha dealer would refrain from selling a Clavinova in another dealers area! If an authorized Yamaha dealer appreciates his appointment (as a Yamaha dealer), he should politely tell the prospective consumer that he or she is better served buying locally.

Frankly, if I lost a sale to a dealer in Virginia, I would be on the phone to Yamaha in a heartbeat! Dealers are prohibited to market on the internet or advertise prices under "Minimum Advertised Price"!

Why would a dealer in another state risk his franchise for the sake of a minimal profit on a CLP 230? A stupid thing to do!

Do yourself a favor and negotiate a price locally in case you need the services of this dealer down the road! Don't purchase elsewhere then ask your local dealer for help.

Retired Industry Professional
S
S
Originally posted by Paul Y:
Dealers are prohibited to market on the internet or advertise prices under "Minimum Advertised Price"!
It doesn't sound like they are doing either of those. They are just responding to customers' needs.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I have a hard time with the whole territorial thing with dealers. I find that it's more about protecting the dealer than protecting the consumer. A lousy dealer doesn't deserve to have sales handed to him/her simply because of their location. Give the customer real choices and let the free market sort out which dealers succeed. Isn't that what our economy is all about?

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i agree. dealers would do what they have to do, but as customers we could choose what we want and what dealers we go to so long as the model and price are right.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission